Something smells "fishy"

Options
Title caught your attention huh, good!

Got a question for anyone that has incorporated fish (any kind of fishy products) to their meal plans. How much of I getting out of it ( I'm tracking them omegas) just curious about more carb/protien/fat. I've been working with ground turkey and chicken and I'm really wanting to change things up a bit if there's better take aways.

Thanks in advance everyone and keep on eating!!
Omnom nom nom

Replies

• ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love fish but I know too much can be not so good for you. You have to watch the mercury levels in fish. My doctor directed me to this http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

As a good guide. Omega fats found in fish are really good for you!

I personally love white fish the most. Cod fish has to be my favorite. Pan searing it is my favorite way to eat it. :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love tuna, salmon and trout! I also like cod, but can't find it fresh where I live so I rarely get it.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Had both Cod and mahi mahi today.. love fish
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I live in canada and here are the different types of fish I have in Meal plan: salmon, cod, halibut, tuna and tilapia. I find steaming or bbq fish is lower in calories because no oil is needed
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I dont like fishy fish so I buy tilapia. I put it in a pan with lemon juice onion and sprinkle with mrs dash. Cover with fresh spinach. Put on a lid. Turn on the heat. Takes about 20 minutes. I buy it frozen individually wrapped from costco.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love halibut and Chilean sea bass, they taste like lobster to me- very meaty.
    High in protein too!
  • carrieraeg
    carrieraeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll forever love the buffalo flavored tuna in a packet. So amazing.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, love love love it. We go fishing in high season, cut filets and also smoke some. I generally cover it in lemon wedges, salt and pepper and bake or grill.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    We eat fish every Friday. I buy the best quality at a local fish market, usually sticking to west coast local choices with an occasional splurge. I like sushi grade if I can find it. We each eat an 8 oz portion, so it is actually more like 2 servings if you calculate its weekly contribution to our overall diet. I like wild salmon, petrale sole, Dungeness crab, & Oregon rock shrimp mostly. Sometimes I buy east coast grouper as a treat or some large gulf prawns. We grill a lot. The sole gets a gentle sauté. Lump crabmeat & rock shrimp are very versatile with pasta, in salads, in enchiladas, or in stir fries. I would eat 3-4 servings of fish a week if I could afford it. When we travel to beachy places I eat fish several meals a day, every day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Got a question for anyone that has incorporated fish (any kind of fishy products) to their meal plans. How much of I getting out of it ( I'm tracking them omegas) just curious about more carb/protien/fat. I've been working with ground turkey and chicken and I'm really wanting to change things up a bit if there's better take aways.

Omnom nom nom

I don't understand the question

you're curious about carb / protein / fat as it relates to fish?

um they have - protein and fats ... no carbs

here's a good list

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan42.htm

I like to make fish burgers

these are fab - but I add parsley and ginger and double the peppers and add red onion or scallions http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/07/naked-salmon-burgers-with-sriracha-mayo.html

- they freeze well and make a great sandwich with light mayonnaise, mustard, salad and avocado - definitely a post-workout treat
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I know Omega 3s/Essential Fatty Acids are important and take a supplement daily, so don't track this closely in my food, but just try to incorporate foods with these.

Twice a month or so I have canned salmon, which can be used like canned tuna. It's a lot cheaper than fresh wild salmon. There are some skin and bones in the can, which can be a little off-putting, but they are supposed to be eaten, and I just mash them up. Depending on how many calories I have to spare, I use mayo, cottage cheese, or both.

I'm cooking fresh salmon, cod, and haddock more as my future mother-in-law likes it.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I've made a variation of this recipe for lunch last week and this week:
    https://theproteinchef.co/ranch-tuna-dip-recipe-high-protein/

Recipe:
    1 Can (5 Ounces/142g) Tuna
    1/3 Packet Ranch Dip
    2 Tablespoons (13g) Flax Seed
    1 Container (6 Ounces/170g) Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt

Drain your can of Tuna. Take out a bowl and put all of your ingredients into it. Mix everything together.

My variation:
    1 can tuna drained (110g total)
    10 grams Hidden Valley ranch mix
    15grams flax seed
    150 grams Fage 0% plain Greek yogurt
    50 grams onion diced fine
    3 slices of dill pickle chopped (I used the "sandwich" stacker ones)
    Mix the ranch and yogurt and then add everything else. Let it sit overnight in the fridge.

I found that the onions and pickle gave it more flavor and texture, and letting it sit in the fridge overnight let all the flavors marry together.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I eat fish two times a week any white fish or salmon. Also shrimp, boiled or grilled.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat salmon twice a week. Occasionally I'll have tuna once to twice a week as well.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I love fish and as a general rule of thumb, I will only buy wild-caught, never farmed. I don't mind buying fish that was previously frozen because we don't have a lot of oceans where I am, so I'd rather it be frozen than shipped fresh and there be a risk of spoilage.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Omnom nom nom

Are you asking how much omega-3 you get from fish? This site has a chart.
    http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/HTML/table_g2_adda2.htm
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Copper River Seafoods - Alaskan Wild Sockeye Salmon Portions 2 fillets 340 g = 520 calories 24 fats 74 protein 200 sodium. That's what I had for dinner last night. I find that fish tends to be really high on protein and little or no carbs/sugars. Reasonable on fats and lowish on sodium. FYI I find fish way more filling then other meats so be aware!