Where to start?

Options
I recently cut soda again and will now be cutting down more sugars however, I'm not sure if I should start also on food portioning and/or what I eat or exercising. I know it's a pretty common sense question but I would like to know what worked best for you at the beginning.

Thanks!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything that goes into your mouth. Weigh solids on a food scale and use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Double-check the MFP database entries that you use for foods to make sure they are accurate.

Once you have a week or two of your food log, you can look through to see where you might make some different choices. Perhaps smaller portions or substituting foods that you like with different foods that you also like.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Start by logging everything that goes into your mouth. Weigh solids on a food scale and use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Double-check the MFP database entries that you use for foods to make sure they are accurate.

Once you have a week or two of your food log, you can look through to see where you might make some different choices. Perhaps smaller portions or substituting foods that you like with different foods that you also like.

This is exactly what I would recommend. Start by logging - when you get some data you can see where you need to adjust.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I would recommend. Start by logging - when you get some data you can see where you need to adjust.

Seconded. This really helped me figure out where I was overeating, what I was overeating, when I would get hungry, and what types of foods helped me feel full longer. Gathering a data set to work from is very helpful.
  • Luna17th
    Luna17th Posts: 4 Member
    Options

• Luna17th
    Luna17th Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the great suggestion. I have definitely started on that (well I started today).
  • JennK730
    JennK730 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MFP is great, log all food eaten for whole day, 64 oz water and exercise. Exercise is key to weight loss + trying to eat healthy choices, but it is ok to have 1 cheat day as long as get back on track next day.
    Request me as friend if want to join 30 day walking Challenge staring tomorrow March 1st