Strength training

Options
I know the accepted gold standard for strength training here is to lift heavy with free weights, but I'm not really comfortable doing that alone and don't have anyone to train with at present.

So, as a second best option, what would you recommend -
(A) doing Les Mills pump classes (free weights, high reps, low weight), which I've been doing for a couple of months now or
(B) hitting the weight machines at the gym, with higher weights/lower reps.

Replies

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The gold standard for people with inflated egos and bulging discs is to start lifting heavy with free weights.. Start a beginner's lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, etc) and follow the program. Watch vids on form then rewatch them, you'll start with an empty bar on every lift, video yourself to check your form.

If there's no chance you'll start on free weights, you can follow the same program (with a few modifications) on machines. Chest press for bench, leg press for squat, overhead machine press, curl machine, low rows, etc.. Start light weight with a 5x5 format. After you gain a bit of strength you'll feel more confident to step into the free weight area I think.
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    If there's no chance you'll start on free weights, you can follow the same program (with a few modifications) on machines. Chest press for bench, leg press for squat, overhead machine press, curl machine, low rows, etc.. Start light weight with a 5x5 format. After you gain a bit of strength you'll feel more confident to step into the free weight area I think.

Oh, I like that idea! Thank you!
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to have a trainer session to make sure I do everything right.
    My problem was the right posture for my shoulders.
    Or just ask a staff member to check if you do it right, mine are quite helpful.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The gold standard for people with inflated egos and bulging discs is to start lifting heavy with free weights.. Start a beginner's lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, etc) and follow the program. Watch vids on form then rewatch them, you'll start with an empty bar on every lift, video yourself to check your form.

I think you mean ego lifting not heavy lifting. Heavy lifting doesn't mean stupidly lifting just to impress people. Lifting anything over 70% of your max is considered heavy lifting but you need to ensure proper form and safe lifting. Let's not confuse people or turn them off one of the best things that they can do for fitness.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I know the accepted gold standard for strength training here is to lift heavy with free weights, but I'm not really comfortable doing that alone and don't have anyone to train with at present.

(A) doing Les Mills pump classes (free weights, high reps, low weight), which I've been doing for a couple of months now or

Lens Mills is not really a strength training course, it's basically aerobics with low weights added but the exercises aren't really meant for building much in the way of real strength. If you aren't comfortable with free weights you should evaluate your goals and current level of fitness. Starting with machines would be the way to go if you are looking to build strength but eventually you should look at adding in dumbbells and barbell work as well. Free weights are safe and effective as long as you are properly trained so you might want to find a trainer who specializes in free weights and get some instruction in proper form and exercises that work for your goals.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I think you mean ego lifting not heavy lifting. Heavy lifting doesn't mean stupidly lifting just to impress people. Lifting anything over 70% of your max is considered heavy lifting but you need to ensure proper form and safe lifting. Let's not confuse people or turn them off one of the best things that they can do for fitness.

Didn't actually read what I said, did you... Didn't think so. The OP is clearly not the confused one here. ;)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    @AlphaCajun I read what you said. You said lifting heavy is for people with egos and bulging discs, then immediately turned around and recommended one of the most popular heavy lifting programs for beginners.

So, which is it? Heavy lifting is for people with egos and bulging discs, or is lifting heavy for anyone?

@OP it is good not to be comfortable lifting alone without a power cage as it is dangerous. If you have a power cage then there is no need to lift with a partner, as the safeties on the cage are safer than a spotter who may or may not be paying attention or able to save you in time.

If you don't have access to a cage, another good alternative is dumbbells. They still hit all of the stabilizer muscles (Fierce 5 dumbbell program or the reddit stop gap dumbbell program are good places to start) unlike most machines and they are easier to bail on a failed lift than with a barbell.

If you don't want to use dumbbells, then I suggest finding a good beginner program for machines. Transferring SL5x5 straight to machines won't get you good results as you need far more than 5 lifts with machines to get the same muscle recruitment that you would with SL5x5.

One program you may want to look into is Strong Curves, which uses a combination of barbells, dumbbells, and various machines.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i second the reddit "stopgap dumbbell program." solid movements that will build a great foundation, a little easier if you don't want to dedicate the time to learning all the ins and outs of heavy powerlifting technique.

supplement it with some body-weight strength training and youll be well on your way to building strength and a better physique.

i think these options are far, far superior to doing any training on machines.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Les Mills isn't strength training. It's a muscle endurance program.
    You can strength train with machines, it's just that the strength doesn't translate the same way as you would with free weights. In other words, where you may be able to do a 50lb machine bench press, will likely not be the same amount of weight you can do with a barbell press.

Strength is relative though. What's heavy for you may be light for someone else and vice versa.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The gold standard for people with inflated egos and bulging discs is to start lifting heavy with free weights.. Start a beginner's lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, etc) and follow the program.

I'm confused.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. Stronglifts is a heavy lifting program. You don't start really heavy, but the goal is to increase your strength quickly and be lifting rather heavy by the end. Who here is suggesting that she go in on her first day of lifting and squat 200 pounds? No one, that's who. You're basically saying, "The gold standard for people with inflated egos and bulging discs is to start lifting heavy with free weights. My suggestions is you start lifting heavy...with free weights." Good advice, bro.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options

Didn't actually read what I said, did you... Didn't think so. The OP is clearly not the confused one here. ;)

I know you know what you think you said, and I have an idea of your background as well, but your first line can be interpreted as a little bit of disparaging heavy lifting. I'm just trying to clarify that you are talking about ego lifting vs real heavy lifting. I think the posts above me are proof that you probably weren't as clear as you thought, I'm pretty sure you were just being witty but it's hard to see that in text sometimes.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to the individual nothing more. If you bench 50lbs then you'd work with at least 50x0.7=35 for a certain number of sets and keeping around 5 reps. Then add weight each week if you get all your sets and reps for bench.

Strong Lifts and some other programs lay it out better than I can. I'd suggest reading up on them and make your own decision.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The gold standard for people with inflated egos and bulging discs is to start lifting heavy with free weights.. Start a beginner's lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, etc) and follow the program.

Whaaaaat?

4aqrvuusr14z.png

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Have you tried plyometrics training? That is another way to gain strength. Practice various jumps and go for bigger jumps every week.

I also second the Strong Curves program. It has variety. Supersets and strength training are built into the program.

Personally, I would not train on fixed machines because I can get a full-body workout on free weights in less time. And free weights can help with balance and may be a better transfer to everyday life situations.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Had to read it 3-4 times to understand what you meant. Message unclear.

Yes it is a stupid idea to walk in for the first time, load up 405 and squat.

Yes it is a much better idea so start a beginner training program where you start at less than max (although the bar alone can be a max on some lifts), learn the proper form, progress towards heavy lifting.
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think the consensus is that I'm done with Les Mills body pump :)

I will look into Strong Curves and the reddit dumbbell program for now, with the goal of one day trying Stronglifts or similar.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    When I started SL5x5 ...I started with the empty bar and it was "heavy" for me, so. I still dont understand the comment . Maybe Im just dense today.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    When I started SL5x5 ...I started with the empty bar and it was "heavy" for me, so. I still dont understand the comment . Maybe Im just dense today.

Your are fine. You were following a beginner program and not going in with no research then trying to lift way more than you can.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Your are fine. You were following a beginner program and not going in with no research then trying to lift way more than you can.

Oh ok, so the research I did is what keeps me from being an egotistical lifter. lol. Got cha! ;)