wish me luck/how many cals qustion..

I am starting a biggest loser challenge in a FB group that I'm in. It will last 6 weeks and there's $220 in the pot, winner takes all! I started to try to lose weight about 3 weeks ago but I put it on hold to wait for this challenge. So I start in the morning. I am trying to figure out the amount of cals I should be eating. So far my best guess is 1300. Input please?

Stats:
Weight: 179.2
Height: 5'0
Sedentary..
GW: 115 by Jan 2017

Is my goal feasible?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Im 5ft 0 too and i ate 1100 cals ( without exercise) and it took me an entire year to lose 32lbs. I was consistant and only splurged for bithdays etc. I didnt eat out or drink etc. 65lbs in under a year will be tough.
  • Stardust818
    Stardust818 Posts: 7 Member
    Im 5ft 0 too and i ate 1100 cals ( without exercise) and it took me an entire year to lose 32lbs. I was consistant and only splurged for bithdays etc. I didnt eat out or drink etc. 65lbs in under a year will be tough.

I do know you should never eat below 1200.. and even 1200 is pushing it. That could be what harmed you. It wasn't enough for you so your body held on to what it could get..

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Sorry but you're not going to like this but this competition is such a bad idea.
    • Set a moderate rate of loss
    • Log what you eat
    • Try to build some exercise into your week
    • Eat foods that you enjoy (within your calorific target)

Will you win the competition by doing this? Hell no, but 6 weeks after the competition you'll still be losing weight whereas the other competitors will have binged and regained most of what they lost.

You know all that hype about crash diets in the 90s? Well that is what competitions like this are encouraging people to do - crash the weight off as fast as they can regardless of the long term effects or health implications. You're better than that surely?
  • Stardust818
    Sorry but you're not going to like this but this competition is such a bad idea.
    • Set a moderate rate of loss
    • Log what you eat
    • Try to build some exercise into your week
    • Eat foods that you enjoy (within your calorific target)

Will you win the competition by doing this? Hell no, but 6 weeks after the competition you'll still be losing weight whereas the other competitors will have binged and regained most of what they lost.

You know all that hype about crash diets in the 90s? Well that is what competitions like this are encouraging people to do - crash the weight off as fast as they can regardless of the long term effects or health implications. You're better than that surely?

I appreciate your input but I do plan to lose at a moderate rate, which is why I'm asking what a good daily calorie goal for me is. I know I could go below 1200 and lose a lot to start but then it will bite me in the butt afterwards, which is why I want to do this the right way. I am using the challenge as a motivator.. my real goal though is to lose all my weight by the time I go to Jamaica in May 2017. I only set Jan as a goal to lose the weight so that I could use the following months to *hopefully* tone up.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited March 2016

I do know you should never eat below 1200.. and even 1200 is pushing it. That could be what harmed you. It wasn't enough for you so your body held on to what it could get..

Starvation mode doesnt exist like that and 1200 is a guidline for the average person. 5ft is classed as petite. Nothing harmed my weight loss. I lost a a sensible and sustainable rate.
  • StealthHealth
    Then this...
    I am starting a biggest loser challenge in a FB group that I'm in. It will last 6 weeks and there's $220 in the pot, winner takes all! I started to try to lose weight about 3 weeks ago but I put it on hold to wait for this challenge. So I start in the morning. I am trying to figure out the amount of cals I should be eating. So far my best guess is 1300. Input please?

Stats:
    Sedentary..

Is my goal feasible?

was just a waste of time.

In answer to your original question: your TDEE (based on no exercise and your stats) is around 1770 cals so a drop of 500 cals would give you 1270. I'd round it up to an even 1300 (which is what you originally calculated.

yo should re-assess based on progress every 4-6 weeks.

• Stardust818
    edited March 2016
    Then this...

Stats:
    Sedentary..

Is my goal feasible?

was just a waste of time.

In answer to your original question: your TDEE (based on no exercise and your stats) is around 1770 cals so a drop of 500 cals would give you 1270. I'd round it up to an even 1300 (which is what you originally calculated.

yo should re-assess based on progress every 4-6 weeks.

I'm sorry, a waste of time?? I am looking for advice.. I know that when you first start you tend to lose quite a bit (I know it's mostly water weight) but I was hoping that would help me in the challenge.. so not a waste of time if it plays out its purpose..

• StealthHealth
    I didn't make my self clear: Sorry.

what was a waste of time was you starting to lose weight 3 weeks ago, then putting it on hold until the start of the competition.

however long you put your weight loss on hold was wasted time.

Your questions were not a waste of time - Clear?
  • Stardust818
    I didn't make my self clear: Sorry.

what was a waste of time was you starting to lose weight 3 weeks ago, then putting it on hold until the start of the competition.

however long you put your weight loss on hold was wasted time.

Your questions were not a waste of time - Clear?

I understand what you're saying. I was just hoping that the drop in water weight when first starting a weight loss plan would help me in the challenge. That's the only reason I waited.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Start a progressive weight lifting regime so that you feel good.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2016
    Wow, that escalated quickly. In my experience, the first month or so you'll see the pounds come off quick (I lost about 20 lbs my first month back), after that it will slow to normal. I personally would stay above 1200 (I tried dropping below and my energy lagged big time). To me (mind you this all in my opinion), getting your calorie deficit by way of exercising is best. I get my additional calorie deficit from working out (Cycling, TONS of walking, and BodyPump classes).

Your goal is DEFINITELY feasible. ~6lbs per month? It's doable. I'm about 204 now, but I was 233 at the beginning of January. You can take a look at my diary, and the calories I've burned just to get an idea on what it will take.

Don't let anyone discourage you. YOU'VE GOT THIS.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    1300 seems fine to start out with. It is doable if you stick to the plan.
    I'm 5'2" started at 184 and in 39 days lost 17.5lbs eating at 1200 with exercise. (there was a big water weight drop in the first week and a half, after that it was a pretty steady 2lbs/week).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    It depends on the person, but I would just do my best and see how it goes. Personally, I went from 139 to 119 in two and a half months. I slowed down my rate of loss and it took an additional five months to get down to 109. Since you're starting at a higher weight, you have more breathing room calorie wise. It can be done, but don't discouraged if you don't reach that exact number by January 2017.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016

I lost 71lbs in 11 months in 1500-1600 a day exercised loads no one should eat under 1200 a day

No one knows how you'll lose weight
    She
    Medications
    Hormones
    Water retention
    All effect it