Out of control weight gain

Options
I eat heathy and rarely eat junk food (well not enough to gain this much weight so quickly!) I've been away skiing for 3 months and have gained weight. Noticeably on my hips, arms and a bit on my legs. In the last couple weeks I've been extra good with calories and heathy eating yet I feel like I'm still gaining?!! Any ideas? Help? Suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Do yo log your food?
    Do you weight/measure stuff out before you eat it?
    Do you weight yourself?

If the answer to any of these three questions is NO, then fix that first.
  • gemms94
    gemms94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do all these apart from weigh myself, but I have definitely put weight on as my clothes are much more snug
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Y
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    you gain weight over eating calories more than your body needs doesn't matter what food it is

3500 calories is 1lbs weightloss if you under eat by that
    3500 is 1lbs gained if you over eat that amount

So 3500 of chicken & veg more than your body burns will gain you 1lb as much as 3500 of junk food

Steath is right you have to weigh measure everything you eat and drink religiously even veg adds up and it's surprisingly easy to eat 500 calories of chicken

So it's a simple maths of 500 calories only more than your body burns a day will gain 1lbs a week
    So a chicken salad sandwich over your burnt calories can do this

If you could write down HONESTLY a days food and drink you'll be surprised how many calories your eating
  • kathryn671
    kathryn671 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain looking forward to words of wisdom from the community as it's depressing watching what you eat and exercising and putting weight on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    gemms94 wrote: »
    I eat heathy and rarely eat junk food (well not enough to gain this much weight so quickly!) I've been away skiing for 3 months and have gained weight. Noticeably on my hips, arms and a bit on my legs. In the last couple weeks I've been extra good with calories and heathy eating yet I feel like I'm still gaining?!! Any ideas? Help? Suggestions? Thanks

What does the statement in bold mean? You feel like your are gaining or you are?

Basic questions are:

Are you using a food scale to weight and log all of your food intake? If no, start
    Are you eating back exercise calorie burns that may be over estimated? If yes, cut back on how you eat of these, cardio machines and HR's are over inflated.

Next, a person gains weight simply and only by eating way more than they think (eating more calories than they are burning in a day) except the obvious water weight gain due to normal fluctuations..

Here is the handy dandy chart from MFP... If you follow the guidance STARTING WITH THE LOGGIN FOOD SECTION.. on the chart you can figure out what you are doing wrong.

25spnqdbamtc.jpg

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary people will be able to provide better comments and hopefully identify the problem.
  • NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you have been skiing for 3 months, could it be muscle? The places you say have grown are all major muscle group areas.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are out of home and doing lot of skiing it can throw off the diet, unhealthy good choices and wanting to eat more because of vigorous exercise.