How to stop bingeing?

Options
Hi all,

I've been on and off MFP for a while, but I've noticed I have a really bad problem with binge eating. I can go most of the day eating on target, sometimes for more than one day, but can't go much longer than a few days without completely breaking down. I'll even often have meals planned and ready- i.e, tonight I had tilapia, some veggies, and fruit salad prepped and waiting for me for dinner.... and instead ended up scarfing down leftover pasta, a cup of ice cream, a cupcake, and some chocolate. I ended up doing well enough this morning that I'm only marginally over my goal for the day (albeit, way over in sugar)-- but I feel terrible for giving in. I've always had a problem with eating my food really quickly and I think that's part of it, but when I break from the plan it seems like I break HARD, fast, and then as soon as it started it's over and I feel miserable.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have had problems with it? I would love love love some advice on how to break this nasty habit. It's probably my biggest obstacle, as it can be very demoralizing.

Note: I should mention that my ability to buy, cook, and store my own food is limited as I live in a college dorm room and am more or less operating with dining hall food & the occasional snacks in my mini fridge.

Thanks!

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Stop restricting and you'll stop binging . Fit all your snacks and other things with in your REAL calorie allotment and you won't have a reason to binge
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    This book* really resonated with me. Perhaps you might find the same? It's really not about the food at all - but how you are - see yourself - in life.

*Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything by Geneen Roth.

• jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I found this really useful: https://www.ted.com/talks/judson_brewer_a_simple_way_to_break_a_bad_habit?language=en

Also, just don't keep food for bingeing in your mini fridge or room. Eat highly filling, low cal snacks like cucumber slices. Good luck!
  • Tinalovesfoods
    Tinalovesfoods Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me, it's taking a step back from the food and realizing that it's always going to be there and that there's never a time when I can't have chocolate if I really wanted it. And seeing your healthy food as what it is. It's good for you... And to be honest, who says that fruit can't be a treat just because it's healthy? Or tilapia? Tilapia is delicious!! And goddamn veggies feel so good in your belly... The texture it adds! Variety is the spice of life. You just have to find pleasure in eating healthy and making your food taste good. Also, make the decision that you're not going to let all those sweets weigh you down anymore. How active and healthy do you feel after eating all those sweets? Not really like you're doing your body justice right? Listen to your body... And realize that sugar is not really what it needs. Make the conscious decision to cut out sugar most of the time and you'll see that you don't need it as much as you thought!!
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Stop restricting and you'll stop binging . Fit all your snacks and other things with in your REAL calorie allotment and you won't have a reason to binge

When someone makes a habit of bingeing, every time they do it they make that habit stronger. You can stop restricting and still binge because it's an ingrained habit.
    Check out the book Brain Over Binge by Katheryn Hansen.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey OP, do you watch your macros in addition to calories?

I binge and crave if I'm lacking in certain areas of my macros for the week. If I'm short the day before in fat, for example, I'm more inclined to binge the day after. Macros are really helpful to watch in general but it really helped me in this area. Check out iifym.com for a macro calculator then just adjust mfp to match those macros. Since doing that this has been the easiest and most binge-free attempt at losing (and it's working!).

Plus get in your water! I shoot for 13 cups a day and making sure to get in that fiber too!

And the cool thing about watching your macros is that it does let you have treats when you can fit it in. It's a realistic life change rather than solely "dieting". ;)