Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Taste

Options
How do y'all drink yours? IMO, it's very watery compared to other protein powders, which makes it taste awful. I'm wondering if all the people with positive reviews have been using it some way that I'm not and should maybe try????

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine now that I know how to work it since there's zero artificial sugar.

I add a packet of jello pudding mix to mine and mix it all in my nutrininja.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    All protein powders are gross in water.

Gold standard is delicious in milk.
  • cridlinam
    cridlinam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard is the best you can buy. I've had several flavors and will mix with water. Best tasting and best quality.
  • WickedZombieQueen
    WickedZombieQueen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fantastic with almond or cashew milk!
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I actually think I'll try this. I've been drinking Lean1, and personally prefer it's thickness over ON. Perhaps this will give it a little more flavor and consistency??! Thanks!

Carlos_421 wrote: »

I try not to drink straight milk, or at least not too much of it, because it upsets my stomach. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I "can" drink milk, but it makes my stomach make all sorts of loud noises and I feel bloated for hours after a glass of milk. I'll probably try it in some soy milk though, or maybe almond, to see if it helps the taste though
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

I actually think I'll try this. I've been drinking Lean1, and personally prefer it's thickness over ON. Perhaps this will give it a little more flavor and consistency??! Thanks!

I try not to drink straight milk, or at least not too much of it, because it upsets my stomach. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I "can" drink milk, but it makes my stomach make all sorts of loud noises and I feel bloated for hours after a glass of milk. I'll probably try it in some soy milk though, or maybe almond, to see if it helps the taste though

That sounds exactly like lactose intolerance or at the very least lactose sensitivity.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That was the worst tasting product ever! I don't know why is is highly rated, other than folks may not know any better! Try NOW Sports Natural Unflavored Whey Isolate - SO much better!! Flavor with organic Blueberries and/or Stevia if desired.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love the ON. Mostly I drink the Double Chocolate w milk. I see milk may not be the best for you, so I also use the vanilla w coconut water and fruits for smoothies.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I put mine with Almond/Coconut Blend- I have the Vanilla ON Whey
    I also put it in my shaker with my morning coffee on the weekends.
    I put a tblsp or 2 in my oats.
    Oooooh. I bet I could put some in my milk with my semi-bland fiber cereal.... hhmmmm.

I also enoy it in a blender with 1 frozen banana after a workout - eats like a meal/milkshake.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »

That sounds exactly like lactose intolerance or at the very least lactose sensitivity.

Yup. Sounds like a mild case.
  • BeYouTiful94
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

The lactose intolerance would actually explain a lot. Not sure why I thought that those who are lactose intolerant actually get sick from milk.

I "stole" some of my roommates almond milk this morning, and I actually really liked it with the ON protein. She has the sweetened vanilla, which didn't taste bad but was super sweet, so I might buy my own unsweetened or even try soy? The better taste might also be because I took the mocha cappuccino flavor back and got rocky road haha. Either way, much better now!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    you wont drink milk but will add an entire packet of pudding?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    How do y'all drink yours? IMO, it's very watery compared to other protein powders, which makes it taste awful. I'm wondering if all the people with positive reviews have been using it some way that I'm not and should maybe try????

Optimum is the very best tasting protein powder, IMO Well, that and Syntha 6...just depends on which flavor you pick. I don't mix mine with water - I always use skim milk. I think it tastes yummy.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

The lactose intolerance would actually explain a lot. Not sure why I thought that those who are lactose intolerant actually get sick from milk.

I "stole" some of my roommates almond milk this morning, and I actually really liked it with the ON protein. She has the sweetened vanilla, which didn't taste bad but was super sweet, so I might buy my own unsweetened or even try soy? The better taste might also be because I took the mocha cappuccino flavor back and got rocky road haha. Either way, much better now!

Lactose intolerance can be anything from uncomfortable bloated tummy to major digestive issues. I have only thrown up on rare occasions, mostly get digestive issues if I consume too much. I buy lactose free milk because I don't like the flavor of soy.

I have the ON double rich chocolate that I just got and have been mixing with 1 cup of 2% lactose-free milk (I have the milk leftover from something, otherwise I'd probably use 1% or fat free). However, it seems a little sweeter than I would like, tastes like chocolate milk to me, which is fine but I'm not drinking it when I want something sweet. I like the pudding idea, I have some sugar-free pudding, I wonder how that would taste. Was also debating trying to mix some into my coffee in the morning. I think it will clump up if I mix with hot coffee, but I should be able to let the coffee cool, mix in, then re-heat. Anyone try this? I know other folks blend up their protein powder with yogurt and oats or fruit or whatever they want. I'm lactose intolerant so haven't tried yogurt in years.

If you are looking for protein powder that mixes well with water, Synthrax Nectar is one of my faves, the flavor I like is Fuzzy Navel. I think it is pricier than ON. I mix with 8-10 oz of water and it tastes like mild orange juice or like a mild orange drink of some sort. It's pretty tolerable.
  • BeYouTiful94
    edited March 2016
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    you wont drink milk but will add an entire packet of pudding?

Why is that surprising? People make pudding with water if it suits their fancy. If I find normal milk to harsh on my stomach, which is why I don't drink a whole glass of it just for kicks, then I suppose I'll just use a different milk .... Besides, don't those boxes of mix make 5 or more servings? I would most definitely not use the whole thing for an 8 oz mix of protein and liquid lol

• Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'll have to disagree, what protein powders have you tried to say they all taste gross in water? It's the only way I drink mine unless I need the calories from milk.