A little lost

Options
NellyOhh
NellyOhh Posts: 34 Member
I used to be a vegan for 2 years before I met my partner. He is an extreme carnivore. He had asked me multiple times to quit my lifestyle so we can enjoy going out to eat. So I did... I gained about 10-15lbs while I changed my lifestyle for about 1-2 years. Then I got pregnant. After my pregnancy I was about 15lbs over my pre pregnancy weight. Then I decided to take the depo shot. I gained about 20+lbs on it. I've been really sad about my weight. When I was a vegan I reached 139lbs. I'm now at 174lbs. Measuring 5'5". I noticed its hard for me to take care of myself when I have a little boy to make sure is fine and also my partner to feed and take care of. It's not just about me. I feel like I turned into an emotional eater now. Before I was the opposite. Don't know what to do. Nor how to start. I honestly want to lose the weight and maintain it. I was to be fit for my son to follow the same routine as he gets older. Help please!

Replies

• hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I also went from a very happy 120 -> 175 due to change in lifestyle and increase in stress etc. I kept trying to go back to when I was 120lbs and follow the same lifestyle. I just could not. So much had changed in my environment and of course in my age that I could not follow the same lifestyle and get same results. Now I am trying to find a new way in this new environment. Its very though, requires lot of patience and lot of false moves. I still don't know if I have the formula, but I am trying. My advice to you would be same - find a new path in your new circumstances. Remember you want to do this for yourself, you deserve to be at your best. If it means going back to being vegan, then I would encourage you to talk to your partner, tell him how you feel and what you want to do and he should understand.
  • PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Nelly, have you started tracking your food intake? If not, that's definitely where to start, it made so much difference to me. Then build some exercise in to your daily routine. You don't have to go to the gym, start by walking to the park, or around the block. It is obviously good for you and I'm sure your son won't mind going for a play in the fresh air. If you can use a tracker that's great, but otherwise download some of Under Armours other apps such as MapMyWalk and they can tell you what your calorie burn is, will also sync in here and give you calorie credits :smiley: .
    Once you get in to the routine try adding some basic floor exercises (squats, push ups, crunches etc.) in to your evenings. Again, you don't have to go mad, just start with a few and build it over time. It will get easier and you'll enjoy how the extra strength feels. There are a number of bootcamp type, 30 day plans knocking around, good to print off and stick on the fridge door, you can then tick each day off as you do them.
    Best of luck, feel free to add me if you would like some moral support.
    Paul.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    NellyOhh wrote: »
    I used to be a vegan for 2 years before I met my partner. He is an extreme carnivore. He had asked me multiple times to quit my lifestyle so we can enjoy going out to eat. So I did... I gained about 10-15lbs while I changed my lifestyle for about 1-2 years. Then I got pregnant. After my pregnancy I was about 15lbs over my pre pregnancy weight. Then I decided to take the depo shot. I gained about 20+lbs on it. I've been really sad about my weight. When I was a vegan I reached 139lbs. I'm now at 174lbs. Measuring 5'5". I noticed its hard for me to take care of myself when I have a little boy to make sure is fine and also my partner to feed and take care of. It's not just about me. I feel like I turned into an emotional eater now. Before I was the opposite. Don't know what to do. Nor how to start. I honestly want to lose the weight and maintain it. I was to be fit for my son to follow the same routine as he gets older. Help please!

Seems like you got a bit lost in your partner's requests (or were they demands?) It was your decision to give up your way of eating, but it is also your decision to put your health first and do it your way. Your partner can "feed and take care of" himself. You need to be healthy physically and mentally to take care of your son.

By all means, return to veganism if you feel strongly about it. Vegans enjoy going out to eat, for heaven's sake. MFP is a great tool for logging and tracking calories. Set it up so that you're losing about a pound a week, for a 35 lb. loss overall. Eat everything that you enjoy. Add exercise to earn more calories. Walking is a great way to start.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NellyOhh wrote: »

biggest question is - do you want to be a vegan? Because if you do you should return to it

If you don't that's fine too

Either way in order to lose your excess weight you need to start watching your intake

weigh your food and log it accurately
    eat to your calorie defecit across the week
    move more - take your baby to the park, walk
    do some type of progressive resistance - perhaps join a local mother and toddler group because friends make everything easier

good luck - you can do it

start by
    - the very next thing you eat, weigh it on a scale, log it, see how many calories it is
  • NellyOhh
    Options
    Hiker583:
    Glad someone understands. Yes I'm definitely trying to follow a similar path. I do want to be vegan, just have less time to prep my meals than before. Have to figure out how organize myself now. I had lots of difficulty since I was working 11+ hours and would come home and still had to do everything plus go to the gym. I'm taking it easy now. Trying to mainly focus on what's good for me. Thank you :)
    How is your journey going thus far?
  • NellyOhh
    Options
    PaulBonham:
    Thank you for your support, greatly appreciate it.
    I actually do have a gym membership and do attend when I can. Sometimes I do lose motivation. I was working long shifts and would get home attend my son and clean,cook, do laundry. So I had no time. Now I'm trying to organize myself to see how to go by it and stick to it. I will definitely be going outdoors with my son more, thank you for the idea! He's a little bullet so he'll help haha.
  • NellyOhh
    Options
    Vivmom2014:
    Thank you for your input. At the end it was my decision. But now I'm making the decision to return to my lifestyle or at least make it better. Yes I already set it up.
  • NellyOhh
    Options
    Rabbitjb:
    I definitely do. There's so many logical reasons that I want that lifestyle. I'm actually starting today :) thank you! I will watch what I eat and I'll definitely be taking my son to runaround some more. Maybe even hiking!
    I've been looking for mom toddler groups but no luck so far.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Getting ideas and support from others here helps, but first and foremost you need to discuss this with your partner. Find an eating plan that works for both of you. He's an adult (I'm assuming) so he should have EQUAL share of the household responsibilities. As long as you try to do it all yourself you will continue to struggle.

Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. The sooner you figure things out between you and your partner the sooner you will get on the lifestyle track that YOU want.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegan and doubt I will ever be. I am also not trying to persuade or suggest you change anything. I used to eat everything to the max and as I aged I put the pounds on. As I got into MFP and the changes that go with it I noticed some things. I found that it wasn't so much the meat but what is served with it that caused the problems. When I ate steak along came the potatoes and that loaf of bread they bring. What goes better than butter on the bread and beer to wash it down. When I switched to just lean meat (6oz.) with grilled veggies and declined the bread I found success. I gave up hamburgers fries and eat more fish now. It also helped that my wife found out she was allergic to wheat so is really easy for me to cut back on bread.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what to do. Finding a support community is the key. Having kids myself, I know how easy it is to snack with them all day. Feel free to add me.