More protein?

Options
what foods can I eat to get more protein in my diet? I'm trying to lose 50 lbs.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Beef
    Cottage cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are essential but carbs are not. You can make room for protein by reducing some of the carbs.
    Eat meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, almonds and other nuts, beans, lentils, tofu, milk.
    Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, and yellow squash and similar vegetables have protein too.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am starting to change my breakfast food to include eggs so that I get some protein at breakfast, I am also looking at changing my afternoon snack to either a protein bar or greek yoghurt.

Obviously meat and fish are high in protein but including things like yoghurt, cheese, nuts and beans as snacks or incorporating in to your meals will help add protein too.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Like the others said above. Something else I learned is that wheat bread has 3 grams of protein. I was surprised at that. Tuna has 20 grams of protein.
  • 20KimmieKim16
    20KimmieKim16 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! Great ideas.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data....Weight, calories, macros, goal????....
  • joanneleblanc1
    joanneleblanc1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fish and shellfish are my favorite ways to get more protein in my diet. You' d be amazed at the wallop of protein they provide with very little fat when compared to beef .. Try salmon, fresh tuna, mussels and clams.. Look for fresh wild caught pre packaged in your grocery store freezer section for convenience.
  • 20KimmieKim16
    Options
    My problem with that is I do not like fish at all I can tolerate it as long as it isn't very fishy tasting. Lately I have been eating salmon but that's about it as far as fish goes. But today I'm going to try some tuna. I've always eaten that with lots of mayo, but today I'm going to try and just mix it according to 1 serving of each. I'm going to eat it for the protein even if I have to gag it down! Lol
  • 20KimmieKim16
    Options
    Like the others said above. Something else I learned is that wheat bread has 3 grams of protein. I was surprised at that. Tuna has 20 grams of protein.
    I read that wheat bread isn't any better for you than white bread, it's the multi grain that's the best?

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My problem with that is I do not like fish at all I can tolerate it as long as it isn't very fishy tasting. Lately I have been eating salmon but that's about it as far as fish goes. But today I'm going to try some tuna. I've always eaten that with lots of mayo, but today I'm going to try and just mix it according to 1 serving of each. I'm going to eat it for the protein even if I have to gag it down! Lol

If you like cottage cheese try using that in place of the mayo. More protein.

Edited cuz duh on me
  • danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Egg Whites
    Chicken
    Lean Ground Turkey
    Lean Ground Beef
    Tuna
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Milk
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Protein Powder Supplementing
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

I can't see the logic in eating something that you don't like when there are alternatives. Batch cook a couple of days of chicken breasts, or boil some eggs.

Beef jerky and peanut butter packs a decent punch of protein.

In my early days (and from time to time now) I play around with pre-logging some different foods to see what will work for me in any given instance.
  • 20KimmieKim16
    Options

I can't see the logic in eating something that you don't like when there are alternatives. Batch cook a couple of days of chicken breasts, or boil some eggs.

Beef jerky and peanut butter packs a decent punch of protein.

In my early days (and from time to time now) I play around with pre-logging some different foods to see what will work for me in any given instance.
    I've been eating the eggs and chicken and I want more variety so I don't go back to the unhealthy things just for the taste. I don't really care for the yogurt, cottage cheese, and fishy fish, but maybe I can incorporate them in ways I can tolerate and maybe learn to like them if that makes sense. I was really only kidding about gagging them down.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I read that wheat bread isn't any better for you than white bread, it's the multi grain that's the best?

*Whole* wheat bread is better for you than white bread (I lowered my triglycerides enormously by swapping out whole grains for refined ones, plus you get more fiber). The problem is that a lot of items labeled as "wheat" in the supermarket are not whole grain. Many of them will have a small percentage of whole grain flour or none at all (since white flour is made from wheat too) and will just be colored with molasses. Multigrain bread can have this issue, too. You have to actually read the ingredients list instead of relying on the front of the package.

What to look out for is on the ingredients label, does it say whole wheat flour (and no other types including "wheat" without the "whole" in front)? One bread I like that is available in a lot of supermarkets in my area (Publix to Whole Foods to international markets) is Nature's Own. Their 100% whole wheat bread is good and often goes on sale (e.g., buy 1 get 1 free). You can stock up and keep it in the freezer.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My "go to" protein foods are:

old fashion oatmeal
    greek yogurt
    milk
    protein bars - to satisfy the sweet tooth
    eggs
    peanut butter
    nuts
    cheese
    whole grain breads
    Loaded potato (broccoli & cheddar)
    I also for a snack, I make couscous patties (made with eggs and cheese)

Don't forget your fats and fiber as well. They help me stay fuller longer. I lost my weight just making healthier choices with a nice balance.

• cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, I seem to reach my protein numbers if I have meat for lunch and for dinner. I don't eat fish so I tend to lean towards chicken and beef. I agree with StealthHealth. Eat what you like the most. I can tolerate tuna but I don't like it so I don't eat it. I keep a list of maybe 20 of my snack foods that I always have in the house. I'll refer to the list if I need more protein or if my fiber is too low.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a good list - not complete, of course, but pretty varied.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1