How much of your weight/shape is just genetics?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    berylw49 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice! It sounds like I need to just keep at it (which I knew but really needed to hear). My shape is what it is but I can lose more lbs (and consequently look smaller) if I just keep eating at a deficit.

EQComics: My doctor has just said that she is fine with my weight where it is, but there isn't any medical reason why I shouldn't lose more

gmallan: I'm trying to vary my exercise routine now. After a year and a half of cardio only, for the past 4 months I've been doing 3 days/week of strength training classes (dumbbells and lots of bodyweight exercises) and 2-3 days/week of cardio. I was hoping this mix would give me some visible results but nothing so far--I'm still carrying too much fat I guess. I haven't done any heavy lifting so far but it sounds like maybe that would make a difference?

robininfl: I only know my body fat percentage from my Withings scale (which I know isn't fully accurate), and that gives me a % in the mid-30s, which I know is high. I've only had the scale for a month so I haven't been able to track any changes in that %, but I bought it for that very reason. I'm hoping that continuing at the gym will show me a reduction. My waist (in inches) has not budged since May, though, when I first started maintenance. That's where a lot of my discouragement is coming from!

You need a proper progressive weight training programme to change body shape

eg if you're top heavy you need to build up your glutes and legs for balance
    if your stomach carries excess fat you need to lose that weight and build up abdominal muscles

good beginner's programmes are
    stronglifts5x5
    starting strength
    ice cream fitness

get out of the 'classes' get into the free weight section, get a trainer who will show you good form, practice, practice and keep going

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great advice!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    All the women in my family are pear shaped and overweight with high body fat percentages. We like food! They didn't get to benefit from all we know now about diet and exercise, and have the luxury of going to the gym and using software to calculate and count calories.
    I don't have that excuse.
    I have one life and I'm going to live it slim, muscular and fit. I don't believe the BMI markers. I think people should all be under 20bmi.

My BMI is 20.4. My doctor gets concerned if it dips to 19. I look sickly below 112 (5'3"). My body fat is low, but I have good muscle tone/mass and most likely have good bone density (never had it checked) from gymnastics, running, and weight lifting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm still not 100% convinced that there isn't a genetic factor to being more or less chunky. Metabolisms still vary and I wouldn't be surprised if genetics played a role in that. The bottom line is that we still don't know enough about it.. why are some people 'naturally slim' and don't overeat? Why do some people overeat? Why are some people never hungry and others hungry all the time?

In the end though it's definitely down to CICO, I just don't think we can completely scratch off the implication of genetics in someone's metabolism and tendency to overeat. But who knows...

But shape... yeah. I have the same shape as my mother. Just taller.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm still not 100% convinced that there isn't a genetic factor to being more or less chunky. Metabolisms still vary and I wouldn't be surprised if genetics played a role in that. The bottom line is that we still don't know enough about it.. why are some people 'naturally slim' and don't overeat? Why do some people overeat? Why are some people never hungry and others hungry all the time?

In the end though it's definitely down to CICO, I just don't think we can completely scratch off the implication of genetics in someone's metabolism and tendency to overeat. But who knows...

But shape... yeah. I have the same shape as my mother. Just taller.
    I agree; I tend to think genetics is certainly a factor, particularly when it comes to natural LBM. I am quite slim with a small bone structure and low muscle/fat mass, which I attribute to genetics. (Of course, I could change the amount of muscle and fat I carry, but that would require a lot of effort and I'm not necessarily predisposed to it).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

There are very few "cupcakes" out there that lie outside of the standard deviations. Most all of us are within a range that is very easily controlled by adjustment of what goes in - as well as what goes out in terms of the hand we were dealt (call it genetics if you like).

......in practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily.

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All the women in my family are pear shaped and overweight with high body fat percentages. We like food! They didn't get to benefit from all we know now about diet and exercise, and have the luxury of going to the gym and using software to calculate and count calories.
    I don't have that excuse.
    I have one life and I'm going to live it slim, muscular and fit. I don't believe the BMI markers. I think people should all be under 20bmi.

My BMI is 20.4. My doctor gets concerned if it dips to 19. I look sickly below 112 (5'3"). My body fat is low, but I have good muscle tone/mass and most likely have good bone density (never had it checked) from gymnastics, running, and weight lifting.
    I can see how bone density and muscle mass which is good can get you higher on that BMI.
    I forget how small framed I am, so I need to be low BMI to get low body fat.
    I'll try again!
    I think we should forget BMI altogether. It doesn't work. We should concentrate on getting better technology to target body fat percentages. I don't know about men, but women should aim for a lower bf % then is deemed to be healthy in western society.
    I read that the U.S. is 37th in the life expectancy charts! I'm sure england is just as bad. We need to raise the bar.
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/world-life-expectancy-map
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, the "blame genetics" for my size/weight/shape is not very helpful.

We control our bodies. Our bodies don't control us.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

There are very few "cupcakes" out there that lie outside of the standard deviations. Most all of us are within a range that is very easily controlled by adjustment of what goes in - as well as what goes out in terms of the hand we were dealt (call it genetics if you like).

......in practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily.

https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
    Are those figures RMR or TDEE? I would think TDEE, but can't quite tell from the wording they used.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You can alter your body to some extent. I am pear shaped and naturally tiny upper body. Since weight lifting I have added mass to my back, shoulders and arms. I catch my reflection in the mirror sometimes and am amazed by my upper body. Lifting weights does shape your body. It will increase your metabolism so you should be able to lose some of your stomach.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    berylw49 wrote: »
    My story: I've lost this weight three times now and gained it back twice. The first time I lost 30 lbs, then gained it back and then some. The second time I lost 70 lbs, gained it back and then some. This time I've lost nearly 100. Each time I lost I got down to roughly where I'm at now, so I'm pretty sure this is my body's "happy place." This is about what I weighed in high school and college. It's at the top end of a healthy BMI for my height.

I've maintained this time around for about 8 months so far, which is longer than I've ever maintained before. The thing is: I'm not happy with how I look. I carry my weight in my stomach and have really large breasts, so I'm top heavy. My doctor keeps telling me I shouldn't try to lose any more weight and that this is just my body type. I also realize you can't spot reduce, but at this point I'm getting really discouraged. I work out six days a week, and I really truly enjoy working out...but I don't look like I work out. And I've gone back to eating at a deficit in an effort to lose a few more lbs and look slimmer, but the weight really isn't budging.

So finally my question! Am I just fighting genetics here? Is there something more I can do to start losing again and/or see some changes in my body? My greatest fear is getting discouraged to the point where I gain it all back, because that's what's happened in the past. I care less about the number on the scale at this point and more about how I look, but I don't know whether it's better to shake up my diet, change my gym routine, etc. Any advice would be welcome!

I think you are fighting your own mental sour grapes.
    You already lost 100 lbs so you know what to do, and how to do it, so keep doing it.
    Why are you gaining it back?
    I think one of the things you need to do is take a look as to why your gaining.
    2nd thing is to find cardio that you like, even if it means doing cardio every other day,
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My mom is built pear shapped, shes got the butt and the thighs/hips yet her stomach and waist is small. I am built the same way and my sister is built like my grandmother on my dads side they are apple shaped. I def think genetics play a role bc you distinctly tell in all 3 of us. My sister carries her weight in her stomach and has skinny legs and barely a butt. While I'm over here with a smaller waist but bigger butt and hips.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Haha can you picture Angelina Jolie's arms and legs? That's me! Only 3-4 months pregnant :( the belly man! It won't go away, pure fat not loose skin and yes I lift/ cardio etc, etc...Genetics!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Your shape is genetic. This can be enhanced, but you can't change aspects like how wide your hips are or the "length" of your muscles.
    Weight is delegated by how many calories your consuming/burning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Genetics play a large role in what you look like, but they do not determine how fat or skinny you are. Your diet does. Google somatotypes (this is the scientific word for body type).
    Somatotypes aren't a standard. This was a body gauging method invented by a pyschologist and not a physiologist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    Yes genetics plays a role in how we are shaped and where our fat is stored but like a couple folks pointed out, we can defy genetics!! I am defying genetics now by building myself some thicker legs while losing my upper body! It's easy for me to hold weight at the top while losing at the bottom which sucks!! Thankfully cardio and weight training combined is getting me where I need to be. :)
    You can't defy genetics. You CAN enhance what you already have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You can alter your body to some extent. I am pear shaped and naturally tiny upper body. Since weight lifting I have added mass to my back, shoulders and arms. I catch my reflection in the mirror sometimes and am amazed by my upper body. Lifting weights does shape your body. It will increase your metabolism so you should be able to lose some of your stomach.

This is really interesting, I didn't know lifting weights did that much.. can it increase your boob size or will it just make them look better?
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I bet I could go to the lowest on the BMI chart and still have fat in my lower abs, I'm in the middle at the moment...genetics!
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was fat just because my whole family was fat. But then... Hello calorie counting. I am fat because of what I was eating in the past. I don't think it is much to do with genetics in my opinion.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Syneea wrote: »
    Yes genetics plays a role in how we are shaped and where our fat is stored but like a couple folks pointed out, we can defy genetics!! I am defying genetics now by building myself some thicker legs while losing my upper body! It's easy for me to hold weight at the top while losing at the bottom which sucks!! Thankfully cardio and weight training combined is getting me where I need to be. :)
    You can't defy genetics. You CAN enhance what you already have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You are right, I should have placed defy in parenthesis as I didn't literally mean it.