Projected weight loss is depressing!

Options
Hi all,

I am 5ft 0 and weight 54kg. I want to lose 6 KG and get down to 48. However, I entered this all into MFP and it has given me 1200 cals a day with a projected weight loss of 0.3KG a week. Is this right?! It had me as losing less than 1 KG by this time next month. I've just done the first cycle of the SSS plan and lost 3 KG in 4 weeks so how is this possible?

This is depressing me as if it is going to be that slow, I will do something else. Has anyone else found this?

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's right around 1/2 Lb per week which would equate to a 250 calorie per day deficit...so MFP is estimating your non-exercise maintenance calories to be 1,450 calories. The question is, are you truly sedentary...the more sedentary you are, obviously the less energy you expend...so the less energy you can consume. It's giving you a projection based on that very simple formula...your actual mileage will vary.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It sounds right. You are short in stature and already relatively light in weight, so you do not burn very many calories in your daily activity. Looks like MFP has calculated that your maintenance level is approximately 1530 calories.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    pblue55 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am 5ft 0 and weight 54kg. I want to lose 6 KG and get down to 48. However, I entered this all into MFP and it has given me 1200 cals a day with a projected weight loss of 0.3KG a week. Is this right?! It had me as losing less than 1 KG by this time next month. I've just done the first cycle of the SSS plan and lost 3 KG in 4 weeks so how is this possible?

This is depressing me as if it is going to be that slow, I will do something else. Has anyone else found this?

Thanks!

Like what?
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The reason you think the projected weight loss is depressing is because too many people have the wrong idea about dieting. They think they can diet for a few months and lose lots of weight very fast then go back to eating normally again but that's just not how bodies work. If you do this you will gain the weight back and set yourself up for years of yoyoing.

You didn't put weight on in a few weeks you're not going to lose it in a few weeks. The more rapidly you lose you're at risk of losing lean mass too and that's not what you want.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 5'1", down to my last 10-ish pounds and if I don't move, I don't lose. 1200 gets me about a .03 per week loss, so it's moving, just slowly. MFP only gives me 1450 to maintain, and that's pretty darn accurate according to my scale.

Today is my one-year anniversary since I got my treadmill and stepped on it for the first time, and actively started losing weight. :) Time to get back on the wagon. I've been maintaining since December and haven't been walking much at all, but today is a good day. It's supposed to get to around 75 degrees today, so my windows are open and the warm breeze and fresh air is good motivation to start moving again. I am such a hermit in winter! I prefer being wrapped up in my sweater with a blanket and a cup of tea more than anything else when it's cold.
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1. I'm set at 1690 for a 1lb a week loss while breastfeeding a toddler. Not needing many calories is just a sucky fact about being a short person.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose. If I look at it in the long term, I get choked with uncertainty and frustration. Instead, I have to look at it each day and know I am doing what I can to lose. I have been losing between 0.26-0.28 per day for the week. That is good for me. Look at now. Look at today. That is what matters! Try to do the best for the day and KNOW it is ultimately toward your goal.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    MFP has a minimum calories per day of 1200 - it won't recommend any less than that. At 5'0" and 54 kg, you're quite petite, so the 1200 minimum doesn't give you much of a deficit. Try exercising to burn more calories, or cut your calories a little more (not by too much tho!).