Help needed...miserable...

Options
Hi all,

I am feeling really down at the minute. I started calorie counting (again) on Saturday 20th Feb and lost 6 lbs in the first week. I was so happy.

Then this week (into day 4) and I have not lost a thing yet, in fact I have actually GAINED a little. How is that possible?! I am on 1200 calories a day and exercising (doing at least my 10,000 fitbit steps per day and often (but not everyday) incorporating a high intensity DVD, as well as going to a bootcamp). I am considered very obese according to BMI, so I just don't get why it isn't falling off me!

I am skeptical about the whole "1200 calories is too low" thing and "going into starvation mode" but would really appreciate some motivation/support here.

I KNOW it is only the 2nd week and perhaps I am expecting miracles but surely I should be losing more?

Thanks in advance!

C

BTW I have an underactive thyroid but am on a pretty high dose of thyroxine so this shouldn't affect it.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose weight every day or even every week. When you drop a lot of weight in a week, you may not see losses the next week.

This is going to be a long process. It will require patience.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Adjust your expectations. You aren't going to lose every day. You have to look at this as a long term project and life change, especially if you are very obese according to BMI. Inch by inch you'll get there but not if you get hung up on the millimeters.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Not to sound mean or discouraging but most of that 6lbs in week one was water. Slow and steady is the key, just keep pushing and the pounds will disappear but you have to be realistic about it.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're right to be skeptical about starvation mode, as it's a myth. In honesty, 1200 calories might be too low, but that would not stall your weight loss.

If this is the first time you've been on a calorie restriction in a while, and if you have a decent amount of weight to lose (more than 50lbs), you might be experiencing what some refer to as the "second week stall." For the obese individual, the first week's loss is usually dramatic because the dietary changes instigate a water/glycogen spill. You lose a little fat, but most of your measurable loss is water. During the second week, water/glycogen losses level out. You still might lose a little fat, but it might not show on the scale. This "stall" can sometimes last into week 4 before fat loss begins to appear on the scale again.

I would give it another week or so - and then reevaluate. If you don't have a lot to lose, or if your last go with calorie-counting was fairly recent, it could be a problem with overcompensating for burns or under-logging. For the moment though, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • clevelandkat40
    clevelandkat40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get it. I am an instant gratification seeker, and one of the MOST difficult things about making a true lifestyle shift to a healthy relationship with food and exercise has been coming to terms with not seeing results all the time, even when I think I should be seeing them the most.

So what piece of motivation do I hold on to, when I'm not seeing progress (at least the way I used to define progress)? The fact that I feel 110% better than I used to, when I'm eating well, drinking plenty of water, and moving more. (And congrats on getting your 10K steps....it is my goal as well, and it's more difficult than some people think!) I feel happier, more energetic, and even smarter, because those healthy foods feed my brain as well!

I know you said you weren't inclined to buy into the "1200 calories is too low" school of thought, but I truly believe it IS too low - especially with your levels of activity. There are plenty of delicious, healthy, filling things you can eat that will help you feel not only satisfied but energized and fulfilled. (For example - I just ate a hearty portion of homemade hummus with a ziploc bag full of bell pepper, cucumber, snow peas, carrots and celery, plus a serving of those Blue Diamond nut thin crackers. And I'm having a couple of clementines for dessert. Delicious! I'm staying a bit light for lunch today because I know I'm having dinner at a Thai restaurant tonight with my mom and my husband, so I'm saving up. But I'll have an apple and maybe a rice cake with peanut butter mid afternoon so I won't be starving when we get to the restaurant. Honestly, as long as I get to eat peanut butter, I'm pretty much happy!)

Hang in there....this is a journey. And sometimes journeys can be as amazing as the destination. I've learned so much (and I'm still traveling, for sure). You'll start to see trends, and will become more comfortable with the ups and downs. As long as you don't give up, you've got this!
  • ClaireLK1987
    ClaireLK1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am very careful with weighing everything (obsessively so!). I don't eat back my exercise calories so my net calories will be quite low I imagine. I just think it's a bit unfair. I know it will take time though. I guess I am impatient and wish I could lose weight more quickly...

Thanks again.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    All water weight :) you wont be gaining back fat its just how peoples bodys fluctuate
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds so far Claire and so far I haven't exercised as much yet. How is it possible for me to lose that much weight? I'm not taking weight loss pills (only cause I just forget lol). I've been aiming at drinking 10-12 cups of water per day. I'm sticking to the amount of calories I'm allowed per day and I'm trying to eat less processed food (only cause of all that stupid salt that will bloat you and make you feel heavier and it shows on the scale easily). You may not want to believe the whole 1200 calorie minimum per day but it's true. Think of it as that's the amount of gas you need in your "car" for it to run properly. That amount is your fuel, and if you're heavier set then you actually need a bit more. If you're exercising that much then I'm assuming you're not eating your calories back. So if you're allowed 1200 and you burn 500 and you don't eat it those back, then your body is trying to function on only 700 cals, which will put it into "survival" mode and it will hold on tight to that fat for "protection". If you're allowed 1200, eat all your calories. You can have a big salad with grilled chicken, you can have eggs, protein, peanut butter, whole wheats, etc. all kinds of yummy choices. As they say, it's 80% diet, and 20% exercise. I've tested it and it's true. Hope this helps.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I too am skeptical to a point about eating "too little" calories. I know from personal experience...anything under 1200 a day is a horrible thing to do to yourself. I just recently entered in a diabetes prevention class...and they said my 1300-1600 average for daily calories is too low and want me to eat 1800 calories a day! But, I am doing whatever they want me to do...and we will see what happens. 6 days of eating a lot more and I am still at the exact same weight, body fat, and measurements.

The hard part is that every person has their "right balance"...and it is a long and frustrating process to find yours. Great job on the physical activity! I've only gotten myself up to about 4-5 thousand fitbit steps so far and 15 min increments on the elliptical.
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Things that helped me:

LOTS of water. It's almost all I drink now. And no, diet soda doesn't count. I always thought it did and some professionals even said - fine, liquid is liquid. It's not. At least not for me. Diet soda dramatically increases my desire for sugar.

Limiting fake sugar. Like all sweeteners in diet soda, or low cal this that or the other (even yogurt). I try to avoid it when and where I can.

Eating real food. Not stuff that comes in packages. So, real protein (chicken, beef, pork, fish), fresh fruits and vegetables.

Increased my calories to 1500. At 1200 I was cranky, whiny, and lethargic. I didn't really realize it until I increased my calories.

And I see regular loss when I work out (not just get my steps in) 6 days a week (including 1 day a week with a personal trainer because I decided I was worth the time and money (which should be paying for other things)).

All of it together gets me slow, steady, manageable, results. I do all of that and still usually only manage a pound a week.

And I too am hypothyroid.

Molly

(friend me if you'd like)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    People's bodies fluctuate, indeed. Women people's bodies fluctuate even more. Your Time of Month causes fluctuations. Your sodium intake causes fluctuations. Look back over your reported food of the past few days and see if you had big swings in sodium. One day of extra sodium leads directly to additional water retention. One day of lower sodium leads to dramatic weight loss, but it's mostly water. Look at your fiber intake. Yup, it has consequences. Look at the variety of your diet. Certain foods have a mysterious (to me) ability to mess with my expected weight loss. I don't worry about that, because I know that if I'm honestly recording my food accurately and (I don't even try to eat back my calories burned in exercise) recording my exercise I will be in a 1000 calorie per day deficit and that must bear out through all the reasons things may fluctuate.

Yesterday, for instance, my food intake changed, somewhat dramatically, but was still in my target range of between 1200-1300 calories and between 1200-1500 mg sodium. This morning my weight was unchanged from yesterday. I'm not going to worry about that, I'm not going to give up and I'm not going to eat chocolate to sooth my sorrow. Actually, a Hershey Kiss is in my plan, but just one. I, a male, have fewer uncontrollable sources of fluctuation than you do, but the principles which govern fat retention are the same for both of us. Get yourself into calorie deficit and stay there for extended weeks.
  • kyle_the_file
    kyle_the_file Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same type of thing. I lost 10 lbs quickly, and I've been stuck just a little bit around that level since new years. I'm slowly losing it now, and I'll find that on one day I will hit a goal, and then the next day I will bounce back up even though I stuck to the diet. Ignore the fluctuation and focus on maintaining the process. That doesn't mean you shouldn't weigh yourself, just don't be surprised if the weight yoyos a little. You'll have days when you loose two pounds all at once, and you'll wonder why.
  • ClaireLK1987
    ClaireLK1987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your replies. So should I be eating back my exercise calories do we think?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight quickly, my body tends to play catch-up and then the next week it will slow down. Say I'm aiming to lose 1 lb a week. Well if in the first week I lose 3 lbs all at once, I often have to wait another 2-4 weeks before the scale will start losing again. It's like my body is energy balancing that first 3 lbs I lost right away.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your replies. So should I be eating back my exercise calories do we think?

yes, you should net 1200 a day. So if you burn 300 you eat 1500 - 300 burned = 1200 net.

caveat - you should only eat back half of your exercise calories because calories burned tend to be off on the high side...

so in the above example you would eat 1350 = 150 burned (half of 300) 1200 net
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back. EVER. I shed those damn things and want them gone for good. Make sure you are drinking enough water, and by water I don't mean sweetened with some artificial crap, just good old water. I sometimes will drink tea or coffee, but NO sweeteners. I found an app that sends me reminders and it calculates how much you should be drinking based on your weight. Make sure you flush your system regularly.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yes, you should net 1200 a day. So if you burn 300 you eat 1500 - 300 burned = 1200 net.

caveat - you should only eat back half of your exercise calories because calories burned tend to be off on the high side...

so in the above example you would eat 1350 = 150 burned (half of 300) 1200 net

I would agree with this unless you're exceptionally short (under 5').
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus on counting calories/exercise and having longer periods of time for stepping on the scale if you are an instant gratification seeker. Your weight naturally can fluctuate between 2-5 pounds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    I don't eat my exercise calories back. EVER. I shed those damn things and want them gone for good. Make sure you are drinking enough water, and by water I don't mean sweetened with some artificial crap, just good old water. I sometimes will drink tea or coffee, but NO sweeteners. I found an app that sends me reminders and it calculates how much you should be drinking based on your weight. Make sure you flush your system regularly.

ummm you are supposed to net a certain number of calories...or are you really recommending that OP consume BELOW 1200 calories..

it is not about what you "shed" it is about the number of calories that you require to lose weight and perform basic bodily functions...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »

Something sweetened with "artificial crap" is going to be as hydrating as something unsweetened. Hydration is important to health. It isn't essential that the hydration all comes from water.