Frustrated at 1200 calories..advice?

Options
Hi there! I'm having a really hard time eating below 1200. I have several injuries that I'm in PT now so I can't exercise to earn more calories. I can eat under 1200 most days but it's really hard and it's hard to maintain so I start eating more calories. We usually have to eat out at least once a week and even though I'll order a 'skinny' meal it's still almost half of my daily calories.

Not sure anyone can offer helpful advice other than taping my mouth shut. Hoping those who've lost weight without exercising can offer up something helpful, even if it's just some support. Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating below 1200 calories, you should be eating 1200 calories. I'm assuming you chose 2 pounds a week as your goal? Lower your deficit to .5 or 1 pound, especially if the amount you wish to lose on your ticker is correct, and you should get more calories.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No, my goal is to lose 1 lb/week. I'd be happy with .5/week

If it helps I'm 5'2" and 135. I'm in my 40's.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFPs default minimum, perhaps it is just too low for you.

2 things to consider: 1200 is with zero exercise, maybe your activity is sedentary. Add more steps to increase your activity level, (it doesn't have to be strenuous) log it, and "earn" extra calories. 1200 is your baseline.

Another possibility - choose a slower weekly weight loss goal. For 15-20 pounds to lose, your weekly goal should be no more than 1 pound. As you get closer still, a 1/2 pound a week goal is appropriate.

Losing weight is about not quitting and getting to the finish line....slow is good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    phys72 wrote: »
    No, my goal is to lose 1 lb/week. I'd be happy with .5/week

If it helps I'm 5'2" and 135. I'm in my 40's.

So, you're on the short side and at a healthy weight (higher end of BMI...but you also have to consider bone density, muscle mass, etc) already and can't exercise at the moment...it's going to be slow going. You don't need to be under 1200...1200 is your target based on no exercise.
  • phys72
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'm just feeling defeated.

I would be more than happy to be at my current weight and muscular. I am right on the border of the BMI and have zero muscle mass. Have been injured for some time so my body is really mushy and none of my clothes fit. I have lots of motivation to lose the weight but lacking some self discipline I guess.

I think you are right with it being slow going. I have friends that are losing weight and still able to eat chocolate cake, nachos, etc. My husband lost weight and didn't change his diet. But.... they are all also exercising. Tired of eating egg white omelettes and not seeing any change on the scale.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I suggest checking a BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculator and don't eat below that (depending on your stats, height/current weight/age, that could be a good 2-300 calories higher). You may be eating below what your body needs to function so your body is telling you it needs more (particularly if you're healing from injuries). Your profile says you're only trying to lose 15-20 lbs, based on that, you should only be targeting 0.5-1lb loss per week to be healthy and have best chances to keep the weight off.

In general, aim for high protein foods to keep you full longer. Avoid sugary stuff and most people try to minimize drinking their calories (i.e., soda, alcohol, juices).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    phys72 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. I'm just feeling defeated.

I would be more than happy to be at my current weight and muscular. I am right on the border of the BMI and have zero muscle mass. Have been injured for some time so my body is really mushy and none of my clothes fit. I have lots of motivation to lose the weight but lacking some self discipline I guess.

I think you are right with it being slow going. I have friends that are losing weight and still able to eat chocolate cake, nachos, etc. My husband lost weight and didn't change his diet. But.... they are all also exercising. Tired of eating egg white omelettes and not seeing any change on the scale.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Yeah...being able to exercise regularly makes weight management much easier...there's another interesting thread about this as well, but exercise also changes the way your metabolism runs...basically you'll run a little "hotter" in general if you're exercising regularly...it's not huge, but it's something and unfortunately, a little something extra can go a long way for some people.

Also, never compare yourself to a male...we expend exponentially more energy given that we're larger in general and have more muscle mass. And while it may seem like super easy for us because we can eat more...well, let me tell you that when you're used to eating 2,800 - 3,000 calories per day, eating 2,000 - 2,300 isn't easy. It's all relative.

Given your current situation and limitations, I would strongly suggest focusing your diet around a lot of whole foods...particularly fibrous foods to keep you satiated. Take in a good amount of protein and pile on the veg and eat some whole grains, etc.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    On a side note your body does gradually adapt and re-train your brain little bit as you adjust.
    As others have said, you want to be eating whole foods - don't rely on shakes etc - and eat plenty of protein.
    And when the weight goes down it is some motivation XD
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have the low bar too, my suggestion is high fiber foods. Veggies are very filling and low cal, egg whites are. Granted I know veggies and beans arent exciting but trying to branch out and tryig different ones helps me keep interest!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    what really helps me is water. 1/2 my body weight in water or more every day. i noticed water doesnt really curb my appetite if its not at least 1/2 my body weight.
    i drink a lemon water every morning first thing. i squeeze 1/2 a lemon in a 25 ounce water. i drink that before i eat anything. it just sets the day it seems.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and lost at 1200 calories. It's hard. My maintenance is only 1360. I eat back my exercise calories but have a bad foot so can't burn calories the way I used to. If you stick at 1200 and not go over you should lose a half pound a week. I lost 3# a month so got to my goal weight in 7 months, with some slips. I had to really change my ideas of portion sizes!
  • phys72
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    what really helps me is water. 1/2 my body weight in water or more every day. i noticed water doesnt really curb my appetite if its not at least 1/2 my body weight.
    i drink a lemon water every morning first thing. i squeeze 1/2 a lemon in a 25 ounce water. i drink that before i eat anything. it just sets the day it seems.

Yup, one of my problems is drinking enough water. Sometimes I think I'm hungry when I'm actually thirsty. I will work on this. Thanks for the tip.
  • phys72
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and lost at 1200 calories. It's hard. My maintenance is only 1360. I eat back my exercise calories but have a bad foot so can't burn calories the way I used to. If you stick at 1200 and not go over you should lose a half pound a week. I lost 3# a month so got to my goal weight in 7 months, with some slips. I had to really change my ideas of portion sizes!

Did you find when reducing your portions sizes that after awhile you became accustomed to it? I know that at my petite size that I shouldn't need many calories and that my portions should be less but I've been eating this way for so long. I think my portions are the problem more so than what I'm eating. I love veggies, don't eat fried foods/fast food/sodas and usually have fish and veggies for dinner. I'm not a bad eater but probably eat a bigger portion than I should.
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? If so eat a bit more, see if you still lose weight - you dont have to be starving to be losing weight. MFP set my cals to 1200, I moved them to 1600 and I still lose weight and I'm way happier and able to maintain eating here
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Is the food you eat carb-y and/or sugary? Do you drink soda and eat most meals based in bread and pasta? That can make you feel hungrier throughout the day. Switching to mainly protein/fatty foods instead of carb foods and sugar will make you feel more satiated with what you eat. I keep my carbs pretty low, and eat at a big deficit, and I'm almost never hungry. But back when I ate chinese food (tons of sugary sauce and rice) and pizza and beer every day, I'd be hungry again within an hour of eating.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're pretty small to begin with so what's your end game? I think your goal is a bit unrealistic
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I also eat at near 1200 calories per day because I can't exercise either. However I've found low calorie filling food and since I started this "diet" I totally stuff myself (and I've never been a careful eater) BUT I don't eat chocolate, cakes, drink soda, chips... etc. any of this stuff at all. I prefer a huge dinner than half a chocolate bar. Today I had a filling breakfast - big bowl porrige with almond milk; full plate of cooked food plus soup and leafy salad for lunch, for dinner I had 4 (low fat) grilled sausages with tomatoes, cucumbers and grated white cheese (a huge plate full of yum stuff) and had on top of it a toast with a tbsp of peanut butter for desert. And this all is 1209 cal! I weight and measure everything meticulously so it indeed is just 1209 cal altogether.
    Good luck with the diet. Experiment and see what swaps you could make, it may take a while to get used to the amount of veg but eventually it is all you'd want!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat at 1200 calories and lose weight without exercising. I've lost 62 lbs. and most of my weight loss has been without exercising. It just means it's a slower weight loss. Sometimes, if I feel starving then, I eat 100 to 350 calories over my goal and I'm still alright. I do this, so I won't binge and only do it when I feel truly hungry. When I want to speed my weight loss up, I get more strict about the calories.
  • phys72
    Options
    Suzanne106 wrote: »
    It sounds like you're pretty small to begin with so what's your end game? I think your goal is a bit unrealistic

I'm petite but look overweight. My therapists and doctors are all on board with me losing a little weight. At 9 months pregnant I weighed 140 so 135 might seem like not very much but I can't wear most of my closet. :-( I lost the weight after my babies but several injuries and a slowing metabolism have not been kind. My goal weight would be 120 but honestly if I could get to 125 I'd be pretty happy.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Whey protein isolate. Idk if it's good to have everyday but it's working for me. 140 cal 1 gram of fat 2 carbs and 30 grams of protein. I use it as a lunch meal supliment. Keeps me full and it does satisfy me. Feel free to add me to look at my diary.