New ways to try for losing weight. Help.

Options
I tried eating all healthy but I don't have the willpower. I tried counting calories but I don't have the patience. What is another way you lost weight?

I always try and quit. Need new ideas.

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight in the long run is to maintain a calorie deficit.

Set up MFP to lose 1lb a week and then log every single thing you eat and drink. Make sure you weigh and measure. Try and get some exercise in and eat back approx. 50% of the exercise calories (MFP generally way overestimates calorie burn for exercise).

Honestly, it's the only way. You will have to learn to be patient as it won't happen overnight. Find a way to build in some of your favourite foods and treats so that it doesn't feel like too much hard work.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Clear off some counter and cupboard space so that you can more easily prepare foods that you love and that fit into your plan.
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ogeez wrote: »
    I tried eating all healthy but I don't have the willpower. I tried counting calories but I don't have the patience. What is another way you lost weight?

There are no new ideas, you lose weight by consuming less energy than you take in. It's that simple. Mentally it may not be that simple. You need to have a good look at yourself and your motivations to find out why you fail and don't have the will power. The only person who can do it is you. There are no magic pills
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Okay, 'eating all healthy' makes me think you've decided only a strict set of food types are allowed to be consumed. No need to forbid food you really like, you just have to eat it in moderation and make it all fit into your calories. Other than that, there is no other way to lose weight. If you can't eat at a slight deficit, you aren't going to lose weight. Counting calories is the most sure fire way to be certain, but you might get away with using your best visual judgement. But if you try that and don't lose weight, you know why.
  • IFerFerGood
    IFerFerGood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Got another idea for you - look up 'Intermittent Fasting 16:8'. Essentially you are reducing your calorie intake, because you stop eating at say 8pm, and then skip breakfast the next day and just wait until midday to have your lunch. Obviously you keep your fluid intake up over this time.. You can pretty much eat your normal two meals for the day, plus snacks, and you will honestly feel fantastic. Look it up :-)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus on other goals for a month. Focus on logging everything you eat. But don't worry about getting calories or restricting foods.

Focus on walking 2-3x a week for a month. But don't feel like you have to kill yourself on the walk, just get it in. I started with small things like that and it felt easier when I made the decision to get more serious about it. I already had some of the habits in place.
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks of any change are going to be difficult. You need to choose a way you want to go about loosing weight or becoming healthier and find the motivation. It all comes down to you.

What's worked for me has been logging all my food, especially prelogging the night before so I don't have excuses the next day. I found a lot of relief and freedom in owning the idea that there aren't any bad foods. I can eat whatever I want, just work it in to my daily calorie goals. You don't have to stopping eating everything you enjoy, just practice moderation.

Start smaller. Start at maintaince according to MFP and slowly decreasing your deficit amount over a month or two. Or make another step toward your overall goal at a time. It's a long journey and can seem overwhelming but making changes over time can help make things less daunting. Good luck!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "all healthy"? Are you cutting out foods? Are you undereating? What do you mean by willpower? Do you believe that you should have to force your way through months of torture and starvation to lose weight? What do you mean by try to count calories? Do you weigh and log your food? The most important thing for weight loss besides knowledge and determination, is patience. There are no other ways than eating less and/or moving more. There are lots of methods other than calorie counting, but they include take eating less and/or moving more, and knowledge, determination, and patience. How about stop trying and just do, and then stop quitting? Nothing happens until then.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

You need to learn how to be patient. You earn it through hard work and just doing it, even though you may not get the immediate gratification.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat ''all heathy''..... just eat the same foods you were eating, but less of them, and incorporate some healthy into it. Balance is the key. Use Myfitnesspal to log all the foods that you eat, oh, and make sure that you weigh all your foods (including pre-packaged weighed foods) with a kitchen scale... weighing foods ensures that you get the precise calorie count for all that you eat and ensures that you stick to your calorie goal.

Get some exercise in there, too. Exercise isn't really for weight loss, but burning calories will give your more calories to eat.

And, like others have said...be patient!!! It takes longer than a couple of weeks to see a difference.

Stick to your calorie goal that MFP has given you, and be honest and precise with your logging.

• ragtimedoll
    ragtimedoll Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want to try something new, try weight watchers. They don't count calories. However I think mfp is really successful if you can stick with it. You might need to adjust your calorie goals to have a slower weight loss.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Develop more patience.

I know that sounds mean...

But really that's what you'll need to do if you really want to succeed.
    There's no "easy way," or "other way."
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind eating the same thing every day, build a menu that matches your calorie counting goal. Check your nutrients. Eat that menu every day.

But if you are training yourself to never need a diet again, that won't work. BTDT and I have the Tshirt. It's a very short term solution. You're going to have to make longstanding habits to succeed long term.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    find your why's and write them down on an index card. keep one at home, in your car, at work. we have amnesia.

why are you overweight?
    why do you want to lose weight?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First off, counting calories is the single most reliable way of steady weight loss. If you are choosing something else, prepare for some trial and error and possibly sub-par results.

A good option for those who won't count calories is to do the following:
    Each meal has the place divided into 5 parts. 2 parts into veggies, 2 parts into meat, and 1 part into carbs.
    Before you eat, drink a large glass of water. Then eat ONLY the veggies first, then ONLY the meat, and carbs go last. Whatever you cannot finish, don't eat. After a while you can ballpark how much you will actually eat and reduce the plate size.

I would suggest calorie counting this first meal so you don't get a HUGE plate of food and defeat this whole exercise.
  • drajel
    drajel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you don't want eat healthy or count calories. then eat whatever you want and exercise all the time. you can eat anything you see and not care about calories if you are working out for 8 hours a day. if you don't want to do any of that then surgery is your only option. honestly the key is balance. don't worry about calorie counting. if you are eating small balanced meals and working out 1+ hours a day you wont need to worry about calorie counting or restrictive diets. I have yet to meet anyone that gets it right every time. keep trying and don't give up. let me know if you want some specific guidance and encouragement
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of vegetables. Then you'll have the same amount of food on your plate, which helps mentally, but the food will be made up of more nutritious less calorie-dense foods
    If you regularly eat something like cereal, cheese etc, weigh it out once or twice so you get visual of what 1 portion looks like, then try to remember that.
    Don't cut anything out, but when you eat snacks take out a portion, like a handful of crisps (chips) or cookies, and put the packet away.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Dont quit. Someone famous said "there is no try - there is do, or do not". You will find greater success when you are mentally ready for a weight loss challenge. Read as many posts on these boards as you can, and you will get an idea of what kind of support is available (lots!) and what kind of advice you can get (great!) and that will help you decide if you are ready. Good luck!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do best by eating low calories throughout the week so that I can eat more on the weekend. Throughout the week when I work a desk job my life is pretty structured so it's easy to keep it low. On the weekends I like to loosen the reigns a bit and enjoy.

Edit: I don't count calories while doing this. I just focus on balance and variety.