Calculating Calories Burned

Options
Can anyone answer this question: Why is it when I input exercises into MFP, that I get calories burned in the hundreds (like 15 minutes of stationary bicycling), but when I am actually ON the stationary bike, the calorie readout is only 4 or 5 when I'm done. Help???

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because MFP extremely over estimates calories burned, like to a ridiculous level.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    part of it depends on what level of effort you're putting into MFP...many people overestimate their level of effort because they feelz like they worked really hard...but really, they're just out of shape...so for example, a vigorous cycling effort would be 16-20 MPH sustained.

Beyond that, a lot of the database burns are just vastly overestimated...you aren't burning hundreds of calories on a stationary bike for 15 minutes of effort.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Because MFP extremely over estimates calories burned, like to a ridiculous level.

Kind of what I thought. Thanks!
  • lthur714
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    part of it depends on what level of effort you're putting into MFP...many people overestimate their level of effort because they feelz like they worked really hard...but really, they're just out of shape...so for example, a vigorous cycling effort would be 16-20 MPH sustained.

Beyond that, a lot of the database burns are just vastly overestimated...you aren't burning hundreds of calories on a stationary bike for 15 minutes of effort.

Thanks for the insight!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    lthur714 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this question: Why is it when I input exercises into MFP, that I get calories burned in the hundreds (like 15 minutes of stationary bicycling), but when I am actually ON the stationary bike, the calorie readout is only 4 or 5 when I'm done. Help???

But 4 or 5 isn't correct either. I would expect something in the neighborhood of 100 calories for 15 minutes.

Is the bike set to some other unit maybe? Is that supposed to be miles or km?
  • lthur714
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

But 4 or 5 isn't correct either. I would expect something in the neighborhood of 100 calories for 15 minutes.

It's supposed to be Calories.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

It's supposed to be Calories.

??? Maybe it's an average readout of calories per minute? Otherwise that doesn't make sense.