Single and Living Alone...

Options
I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that are single and live alone. It is difficult to stay on track when you don't have anyone there with ya when times get tough. What do you do to keep yourself motivated? My freinds all live to far away and once I close my laptop lid my MFP are gone too. Any suggetions would be great :)

Replies

• BossSauce69
    Options
    Keep yourself busy. If you're doing things, you won't have time to get down. Besides that, learn to cope with setbacks better. It isn't the end of the world to have a bad day or week.
  • inchik
    inchik Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try to stay active, go out walking/running, anything to stay away from the fridge :smile:
  • nikkih_89
    nikkih_89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You have us here on mfp. We are all here for the same reason and who better to turn to?! If u have questions were here. If u need recipes to cook there in here. Just bc u might not know us on a personal level doesn't mean were not here to support you 100%.:)
  • valerieelyn
    Options
    I agree with keep yourself busy. Take some classes at the gym at night if you're joined to one- It's much better than sitting at home alone letting your mind wander. I also got my mom hooked on this website so we kind of motivate each others during the week, making sure we've logged on and input our food and exercise. Send an invite to join to some of your friends?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That was my scenario the first half of last year. I had just moved to Virginia after college to start my job, no boyfriend, not a lot of friends in the area. It made it easier to focus on losing weight tho! Less temptations to eat bad food or drink, had lots of time for working out, etc.

But I found that just by chatting with my college friends on gchat or my family helped to stay close to them, and MFP is encouraging!

Try meetup.com if you're looking for ways to meet new people. It's how I met my boyfriend!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I live 400 miles form my friends
    and family. I do have my hubby and see my son and granddaughter
    regularly, but it does get lonely at times, I thank god for my online
    pals
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    That's me... and for the time being, I haven't turned down a social event. Other days I will go to car club events or do my kickboxing classes. For me, the single status is fairly new so friends are inviting me out so I don't feel "lonely" after ending a 7.5 year relationship.

I do have a roommate for a short term basis (projected for 6-8 weeks). She buys/makes her own food.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been there before - and it IS hard. Especially when you get the chance to actually see your friends, you don't want to have to be counting calories THEN! LOL

I would try to create my to-do list and stick to it... including waking up at whatever time to do whatever exercise. After dinner, go for a walk around the neighborhood. Keep healthy snacks in the house, so when you do get the munchies, you at least have healthier options.

I have found there to be pros and cons for both living alone and being single and living with someone else and dating.... With someone else, you have another influencer (or supporter) when making food choices.... LOL
  • ddonkeys
    ddonkeys Posts: 56
    Options
    I too live alone and am single so i understand where you're coming from. Remember, we are all here for you. Just keep the thought of success on your mind and the amount of hard work you have already done on your mind too when you are about to grap something to eat that you shouldn't. That usually works for me.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yep, single and live alone here too and completely understand what you are talking about.

On the one hand it's great because you cook your own meals, control what is in the house, etc. On the other hand - no one knows when you order pizza and the boredom/lonely eating kicks in quickly!!

Is your place big enough for a treadmill in front of the TV? When the "I need to eat" feeling hits and it shouldn't, I try to walk about 2 miles before I make any decisions. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - but it works more times than not.

I try to keep myself busy and scheduled. So, on a general night, I get home from work, change into work out clothes, workout for an hour (usually just a light workout since I do my main one in the morning), cook and eat, clean-up, do one household task (weed, deep clean 1 room, pay bills, etc), then relax for an hour. I get up early to workout so by this time, it's time to get ready for bed usually. Weekends, I try to schedule myself silly with tasks, etc. For me, idle hands are the devil's friend is truly the case.

If all else fails, I plop myself in the bathtub with a book. Accomplishes two things - keeps me occupied but also makes me look at myself naked which stops the wanting to eat.

Did you just move to a new town? I know how that is - it is near impossible to make friends!! Do you belong to a church, gym? Do volunteer work of any kind? And as taboo as it probably is to say - you can actually meet some nice people doing the internet dating thing. Who knows if you'll meet "Mr. Right" and who cares really - it gets you out of the house, and you could make a friend. I have two friends now who I met internet dating of all things.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me with a bunch of roommates. Because they all have chips, cookies, cokes, beer in the fridge just begging to be eaten by a certain Lindsaylove! And they want to go out to eat, and out drinking and GAHHHHH! So hard!!!!
  • NellyBlight
    NellyBlight Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are there any local running or walking groups you can join? Volunteering is also a good option as it gets you out of the house and provides an opportunity to meet new people. Good luck.
  • palaciosj27
    Options
    Look for people on this site that may live near your area!
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would think dieting while living alone would be easier! My hubby has a freakshow metabolism and NEVER gains weight! He loves chocolate, sweets/deserts, fast food, Starbucks, dunkin donuts, everything I shouldn't have! And I HAVE to see all his junk food when going to make my chicken and spinach salad! It sucks but I tell myself in my head that I'll never make it if I keep saying "one more won't hurt" because it will! One more leads to two to three!

It's good to have encouragement...maybe join a class at the gym and make friends! Or the dating website! I consider you lucky cause you alone choose what goes in the fridge! You'll meet people :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm single but have a 4 year old, so if he's with his dad I'm by myself. Maybe think of it this way - there's a lot more freedom.

It's actually much easier to me because when I'm alone, I have full reign on when I exercise, what I eat and when, etc. I don't have to make sure anyone else likes what I cook, or stroke anyone else's egos about my weight loss, or worry about plans that an SO might have had that would interfere with my schedule. So I go about my day the way I want to. If I make a mistake, oh well, I move on the next day and no one was here to see me do it anyway.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    maybe it's just me? but it seems much easier to stay on track when i don't have anyone else whose picky cravings i have to cater to, or who sits in front of me eating a whole package of cookies... lol.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I do have a dog though, so I'm at least always motivated to walk her if nothing else. Just try to keep busy. Also, have you ever been on www.meetup.com? Lots of great social and maybe even fitness groups you could join. Good luck!
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm with you -- living alone and 400 miles from most of my friends. It's really easy to just come home and watch tv at night, which then turns into snacking while watching tv at night, which turns into not fitting into your clothes anymore. Sigh.

I've found that if I stay active, I don't think about food as much...
    Volunteer.
    Take community ed classes.
    Cook good, healthy meals for yourself, even if they serve six -- you'll have good, healthy leftovers!
    Try a new hobby that you might be terrible at -- no one will see it if you live alone, so go for it!
    Keep a stability ball near the tv so you're reminded to get off the couch, even if you keep watching tv.
    Tell your friends about your goals -- it's not the same as in-person, but virtual support is still support.
    Think about why you want to want to lose the weight -- write that on a post-it and put it on the fridge, pantry, etc.

Good luck!
  • slshawna
    slshawna Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I don't live alone persay, but pretty close. My sister works at Costco and has hypERthyroidism, so she fills my house with junk food, but then is either working at night or at her boyfriends house. My dogs keep me occupied when I get home from work so that I dont have time to eat until 7:30 or 8 at night. On the weekends I always try to get outside and either go for a hike or do something fun with my dogs.