Never to old to start

Options
shortmom5
shortmom5 Posts: 28 Member
Here I am at 50 still struggling with my weight, and health. This seems to be a good place to start and keep me honest. Is anyone else here struggling with getting it all together, lol?

Replies

• LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will be turning 50 at the end of this year - New Year's Eve to be exact - and this past January 5th, I decided I wanted to lose 50 lbs before I turn 50. I have given myself the entire year to do it after 18 years of raising my daughter and never taking time for myself because of all the commitments we have had with all of her activities.

It does feel good to put myself first again! You can do this, and the friends you make on here will keep you motivated, pick you up when you are struggle and give you a kick in the can when you need it (nicely of course).

Finally, It's never to late or you are never too old to start! It's all good!!!

(By the way, I'm the girl in the picture! My husband doesn't need to lose weight! hahahaha)
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 one week from today. And I'll be at the beach, so I'm hoping to add at least one or two more pounds to my weight loss total before then. So far I'm 7.8 pounds in four weeks. Then I have to stay on track for my son's wedding in Sept. Hopefully I'll be so 'into the rountine' of eating well and working out by then, I can keep going forever. Already I can tell that I feel much better, so I know when I get the other 18.2 pounds off I'll really be feeling (and looking!) better.
  • shortmom5
    shortmom5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to take this one day at a time, and not quitting if I have a bad day. Was it easy to set your goals? I am trying to set mini goals so that I don't have such a huge number to look at. Thanks again for the encouraging words.
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I set my goal at something I felt that I could attain, though not extremely easily. Six years ago I was at 135 (worked at it night and day with what I ate and with working out at Curves). Then I had surgery and could not exercise for six weeks. I fell back into old habits. I hate it when I try to bend over to tie my shoes and that "spare tire" (big enough for a skidder) makes it almost impossible. I also dont like getting winded when I have to make two trips to carry in the groceries. And recent pictures of myself on vacation (last Sept) just drove it home.

So, I set my goal at 140. Not the 135 from before, because, well it is six years later, and I am about to turn 50, and I was literally working at it 24/7/365 to keep that 135. I feel like at 140 I can be happy with how I look and how I feel and that getting there (and staying there) wont totally consume my life and every breath I try to take. I do plan to keep working at the gym so that hopefully my 140 will "look like" 135, LOL.

So, my goal had to be something I had to work for, and could be happy with but not so much that it was going to frustrate me enough that I would get angry or discouraged or depressed or obsessed about. (Although I'll probably try to push it to 138 just so I have those two pounds of leeway to stay under 140 when I have a "bad day").

From 165 to 140 (by mid-Sept ... my son's wedding) is my goal ........ and after four weeks I'm down to 157.2 .....

I dont really have mini-goals other than to try to make 7 to 8 pounds per month. (1.5 lbs per week will put me at my goal the week before his wedding, so if I can get a 2 lb week in there a couple of times that will be great!)