Coconut Oil Coffee

Options
KVS1985
KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
I was looking for a way to incorporate coconut oil into my diet since I have recently read of all the health benefits. I came across this recipe for Coconut Oil Coffee. I brew about 10 oz of coffee, add 1 tbsp of organic unrefined virgin coconut oil, a splash of half & half and zap in the blender for about 10 sec to emulsify. I have been drinking every morning for the past month and I have grown quite fond of it. In total it comes out to about 156 calories, and since I am trying to watch my calories I am wondering if this is too much. Has anyone tried this and what is your opinion on it?

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I can see someone doing this if they need more fat in their diet. I personally like to get my dietary fat other tastier ways. Some people say it keeps them full and others say it doesn't.

It's not magic but if you like it and it fits your calories then it's working for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tried it- but to much work. I don't have time for that in the morning.
  • SarahDWalker26
    SarahDWalker26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the half and half and use almond milk. That may cut down some calories ( I am guessing). It does sound like a lot of work though
  • KVS1985
    Options
    Get rid of the half and half and use almond milk. That may cut down some calories ( I am guessing). It does sound like a lot of work though

It's actually not terrible on time. I make it while my oatmeal is heating up. I tried almond milk but I'm too partial to H&H. Thanks.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Google BulletProof Coffee. Been around for awhile. I do it each morning with 1 tablespoon MCT OIL and 1 Tablespoon KerryGold Grass-fed butter. mmmmm........200 cals. :)
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    KVS1985 wrote:
    156 calories, and since I am trying to watch my calories I am wondering if this is too much

it's only too much if its preventing you from eating other things you want to eat later in the day, or if it makes it hard to get proper macronutrients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Too much" is relative. Also, while I would consider coconut oil a healthy oil/fat to use...there's nothing magical about it. It's a marketed "super food" right now...and yeah...most of that is marketing...not so long ago, coconut oil was on the list of the greatest dietary demons so go figure. Most of the touted benefits are highly exaggerated at best...if you enjoy it, great...but it's not going to do anything magical for you.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I put coconut oil in my smoothie and hot tea. I do it to lower my blood sugar.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would use half and half in anything. Could you just stir a little coconut oil in your oatmeal and drink your coffee black? I added a half teaspoon of blood orange olive oil to my oats and blueberries this morning. I drank my coffee black.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do the same but I don't add the half & half, the blended coconut oil makes the coffee creamy enough. I grind the beans on medium grind each morning and use a french press.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Brewing coffee doesn't take that much time, people... Tim Hortons(or the american version of Tim Hortons, whatever that is) must be making a fortune off you all....
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I make instant coffee every morning black with 1\2 tbps of coconut oil and then I put 1 tbps in my oatmeal and eat one in the afternoon. I love it I don't get much fat from other sources. It helps me with health issues.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a few cups of coffee with coconut oil every day. I add coconut cream or whip cream too, and often a vanilla or chocolate protein powder, and some stevia and spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. I tend to prefer to drink my calories, and often skip breakfast, so it works well for me. Plus I eat a higher fat diet so it fits my macros very well.

To save time I make my coffee in a Contigo travel mug and just shake it until it is frothy. Easy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    KVS1985 wrote: »
    I was looking for a way to incorporate coconut oil into my diet since I have recently read of all the health benefits. I came across this recipe for Coconut Oil Coffee. I brew about 10 oz of coffee, add 1 tbsp of organic unrefined virgin coconut oil, a splash of half & half and zap in the blender for about 10 sec to emulsify. I have been drinking every morning for the past month and I have grown quite fond of it. In total it comes out to about 156 calories, and since I am trying to watch my calories I am wondering if this is too much. Has anyone tried this and what is your opinion on it?

@KVS1985 I skip the blender part but do 5 tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 oz of Heavy Whipping Cream in my first cup of coffee each morning. This gives me a good start on getting 1600 calories daily from fat for my macro.

Tapering into using large amounts like I do is strongly suggested if one has a need to use coconut oil.
  • KVS1985
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I don't think I would use half and half in anything. Could you just stir a little coconut oil in your oatmeal and drink your coffee black? I added a half teaspoon of blood orange olive oil to my oats and blueberries this morning. I drank my coffee black.

Good idea. I may try that. Only thing is I really like it. I cut out sugar from my coffee but cant seem to part with the half and half.
  • megweg1
    megweg1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The coconut oil in coffee idea is often part of the bulletproof diet. I've been following the plan and eating more calories and fat then I normally do while still losing weight and feeling tolerable. Generally speaking, high fat consumption is best when paired with low carbs. The bulletproof diet recommends one or two days a week to load up on carbs--the other days are generally low in carbs, depending on your needs.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, organic cacao powder, maple syrup, stir... Dip bananas or strawberries (it tastes like a chocolate frosting)