Seafood

Options
tionnapursley
tionnapursley Posts: 6 Member
I do not like seafood at all!
Is there a way to cook like salmon and tilapia without it smelling and tasting like seafood?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    its like cooking a hamburger and wanting it to smell like an apple. pretty sure it will always smell like fish. I have found that grilled Mahi Mahi is pretty mild and tastes great.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    There's no seafood requirement. If you don't like it, don't eat it. You can get protein from other foods.

Only eat foods you like and don't eat foods you don't like.

I only spend my calorie budget on foods that I enjoy eating.
  • tionnapursley
    Options
    I know it will always smell like seafood but I meant tone it down some... Thanks I'll try that.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How about shrimp? Especially cold cocktail shrimp. Or lobster. Can't think of any sea food that don't have that ocean/sea smell. Ever have seaweed, seagrass, or kelp soup? Even sea plantation has that smell.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I do not like seafood at all!
    Is there a way to cook like salmon and tilapia without it smelling and tasting like seafood?

I spray it with an olive oil cooking spray, a thin layer of crushed garlic and and few thinly sliced lemons and some Old Bay for taste...
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Put enough rub/spices/marinade/lemon to mask the smell?

Personally, I gag at the sight/idea of canned/pouched tuna, so I mix it with Laughing Cow Spicy Cheddar Jack and I can almost pretend it's chicken and be okay with eating it. Maybe you'll find a way of tricking your tastebuds and nose too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tuna is more meaty, less fishy
  • tionnapursley
    Options
    Okay thanks y'all :) I will try these ideas. My husband loves all seafood so I wanted to surprise him without having to. Cook 2 different things.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For fish, first thing I would say is buy fresh fish. You definitely should not be smelling "fishy". Personally, I find that fish that have been frozen often have more of a fishy smell. Now for things like shrimp I'd avoid anything that also has sodium sulfite added as I find it adds a smell.

Fresh Salmon doesn't have a smell...that is unless it has been sitting for a while. We prepare it simple: dried herbs, salt and broil for 10 minutes.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh catfish filets and cook them with cajun and/blackened seasoning. Catfish has a clean taste if it's fresh. Jmo.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2 words:

Lemon
    Pepper

Sprinkle that **** everywhere! =)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Tilapia smells like what you cook it on. Like spicy? Fry with butter and Habenero jelly of orange marmalade. Like Sirachi? Goes great too. Salmon gets a marinade of olive oil, honey, low sodium soy, and vinegar. Add a little garlic and jalepeno pepper. Grilled is great too.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I suggest don't cook it to death too. In my humble opinion fresh raw fish as in sushi, ceviche, poke', or seared tuna tastes and smells less fishy. If you cook tuna too much it is strong like can tuna.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish doesn't smell. Also try making a salmon or white fish curry. That will mask most of the fishiness.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    There's no seafood requirement. If you don't like it, don't eat it. You can get protein from other foods.

Only eat foods you like and don't eat foods you don't like.

I only spend my calorie budget on foods that I enjoy eating.

This! I couldn't agree more. I don't like Kale. I don't eat Kale. Loads of other food options.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't like fish at all but I just recently cooked cod on a cedar plank salt and peppered to taste with lemon and jalapeno on top. It actually was not fishy at all!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I really like Seabass and Halibut, they are really "meaty" fish and do not smell or taste fishy at all.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Overly easy to make Shrimp/fish curries, either Thai or Indian are the ones we make most. Easy to make a red or green curry using paste and coconut milk...or can buy tins prepare that are yummy (Arroy-D for example). Can also buy Indian curry sauces pre made....just depends how much you like cooking. Also, better to use a fish that holds up to cooking like a Basa or other firm white fish.

Another fun recipe from Yangshuo is beer fish...a mixture of tomato, Chillies, onions and beer...you should be able to google it. If not I can find the recipe).
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    Fresh fish doesn't smell. Also try making a salmon or white fish curry. That will mask most of the fishiness.

I can assure you fresh fish does smell. I've caught, cleaned and cooked within minutes and it smells like fish. Fish with a high oil content(trout, salmon) have a more pronounced fish smell.

Tilapia are real mild and have about the least fish smell.

Also don't over cook!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    clhoward6 wrote: »

I can assure you fresh fish does smell. I've caught, cleaned and cooked within minutes and it smells like fish. Fish with a high oil content(trout, salmon) have a more pronounced fish smell.

I can definitely vouch for this, especially when it comes to trout. I simply cannot eat trout no matter how many times I've tried and no matter how fresh off the line it is.

I'm a mild white fish (Tilapia, Cod, Grouper) person. I have only recently gotten into fresh tuna, which I do very much enjoy, as well - seared or in a ceviche or as tartare. As for the white fish, I often times cook it for tacos or cut it in strips, coat it in seasoned panko, and bake it for homemade fish sticks.