I want to build muscle and get ripped

Options
Ive been going the gym since july 2015 ive not gained much size but ive gained abit of muscle definition and im a bad fussy eater so im not eating the right foods is there anyway around this,

My main goal is achieving 6 pack abs

Replies

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit + good strength training program = Low body fat levels. With a lower body fat percentage, you will get abs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't we all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured program consistently or doing the f#$karounditis plan?
    Getting a 6 pack is more about fat loss than muscle gain.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Still muscle gain is required for a more defined six pack. At 12% body fat with more muscle mass, I have a more defined 6 pack than when I was 153lbs at 8-9% body fat. If you want more muscle, eat a caloric surplus then cut away the fat to reveal your abs and definition
  • AnirbanMookherjee
    AnirbanMookherjee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Start eating right. You'll never get anywhere without it. And for more serious gains go to bodybuilding.com and start following any popular program.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen; i.e., through healthy eating. If you will not eat right, you will not get abs. End of story.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ive been going the gym since july 2015 ive not gained much size but ive gained abit of muscle definition and im a bad fussy eater so im not eating the right foods is there anyway around this,

What exactly does that mean? Specifically, how much fat and protein are you getting on average?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Very unlikely that you'll build muscle AND get a six-pack at the same time. The former generally requires a caloric surplus while the latter requires a caloric deficit. Better to work on building muscle ("bulking") first, then on getting definition ("cutting").
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    there is no way around being a fussy eater.

eat the foods you know you need to eat. they are good! they are even better if you learn how to cook. chicks also dig a guy that can cook a tasty meal.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You don't have to eat "healthy foods" per sae.

Just hit your macros and stay under your TDEE and your body fat percentage will drop and you will see results.

I eat a ton of ice cream, pastries, greasy triple burgers and lift every day and had my abdominal muscles completely ripped apart with surgeries a couple years ago. I still have visible abs at age 46.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

A six pack requires a process of bulking and cutting. Currently, I have more ab definition than ever and am eating more than before, just working out a lot harder and upping weight regularly. Focus on getting enough protein - at least 1 gram per 1 lb. of body weight (i.e. I weight 114 lbs. so I aim for 114 grams of protein). When you bulk enough - start cutting and continue lifting; decrease calories by 250-350 and incorporate cardio. BAM! Abs.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Bulking and cutting is one option. The other is longer, called a body recomposition. You basically eat at or about maintenance, and change your body composition by losing fat and adding muscle slowly. Here's the end all be all thread:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Good luck!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Are you following a structured program consistently or doing the f#$karounditis plan?
    Getting a 6 pack is more about fat loss than muscle gain.

:D<3
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Very unlikely that you'll build muscle AND get a six-pack at the same time. The former generally requires a caloric surplus while the latter requires a caloric deficit. Better to work on building muscle ("bulking") first, then on getting definition ("cutting").

You da man excellent post ;)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Or woman... I'm not sure ^