Help! Gaining weight from running?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm not yet a runner, I'm just starting out. I've have been running for 30 minutes a day on my treadmill for the past three days. When I say "running" I actually mean alternating between running for a few minutes and fast-paced walking for a few minutes. I stepped on the scale today and noticed that I have gained three pounds since starting this routine. That is definitely not what I was expecting! Is it normal to gain weight at first? I do not think three days of running is long enough to gain muscle weight, so I'm wondering if there is another explanation. I have still been drinking lots of water and eating a diet within my calorie range. Any insight would be appreciated!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is completely normal to add weight when you add exercise or up intensity. Your body starts to store extra glycogen in your muscles in anticipation for the next workout. Glycogen requires water for storage so it is often referred to as "water weight". It is not the same as bloat and is not affected by your water intake.

If you are sure about your logging, then I wouldn't worry. It may take a couple of weeks for the weight loss to catch up but the scale will begin moving again.
  • mmiller714
    mmiller714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks @3dogsrunning that makes complete sense! I knew there must be a reasonable explanation. I'll take your advice and keep logging/ give it a few weeks to work itself out. :)
  • ga_sk8er
    ga_sk8er Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1 thing to look at is the scale....if its the older non-digital scales, make sure the needle is evenly on 0 before stepping on. ive had some that would mess up & not go to 0 every time
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There is no way you can gain 3lbs of muscle in 3 days no matter what you are doing.

How often do you weigh yourself?

It's very common for your body to go up or down 5lbs even during the course of one day. If you measured once 3 days ago and once today, it could just be you measured on a "low" point then and are at a "high" point now.

The only way to see actual changes in fat loss are to weigh every day at the same time of day and take a 1 or 2 week average.

3 days ago I weighed 177.6. Yesterday I weighed 181.8. Today I am 178.8. But if you take the average from this entire week and compare it to the average from 2 weeks ago, it is 2lbs lower.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain 3 lbs of muscle OR fat in 3 days. It's water weight. I can swing up to 8-10lbs from day to day based on exercise, diet, and time of day. If you're tracking your food, and know that you're in a calorie deficit, just give it time.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Noticed the same thing when I switched from the elliptical to the treadmill. I did some internet snooping, and people that are new to running have a tendency to see an increase in the scale because running is a strenuous, new activity that is tearing up muscles, so the muscles hold water to repair and prepare. As you keep running, you'll notice fat loss and muscle gain/toning. May or may not see huge decreases on the scale if you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same rate, but you'll see a difference. Just hang in there :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    you have gained water weight from your muscles holding onto water for repair....
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the comments re "water weight" are probably on target. A side note, though: Cardio is famous for making people really hungry and then of course they eat more.