Atkins or not?

Options
I lost 80lbs with Atkins before, but never went through the 4 phases and went back to eating normally and gained it all back plus some. I want to know if anyone feels that doing a low carb plan like Atkins Is a good idea long-term, or is it too hard to stick with forever? I am addicted to food, and feel that Atkins might be my only real shot at winning this battle for good. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most of us suggest that people follow a way of eating that they can stick to for life. During the "dieting" phase it's important to build habits that you will maintain after you are done focusing on losing weight. That's the real key to winning the battle for good. If you decide to go back to Atkins you need to focus on things you will maintain forever along the way. That means you can't just stop Atkins and expect to keep the weight off. It may mean transitioning off of it slowly or simply working on a balanced way of eating from the start.
  • thatdarncass
    thatdarncass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above me. Looking at your post, you described the habits that have caused you to gain weight as 'eating normally'. For permanent weight loss (maintenance) to happen, you have to find your new normal. If you see results on Atkins, then go ahead--but have a plan for 'after Atkins'. Maybe you increase the amount of carbs you eat in your maintenance, but it's still considered 'low carb' compared to the standard American diet and it's sustainable, and not as rigorous as Atkins (or a ketogenic diet in general). Perhaps you allow yourself more flexibility with macronutrients but you just maintain a certain calorie limit. Whatever you decide to do in the short term to lose the weight, work on changing your mindset and relationship with food for the long term. That's how you will win the battle for good. You've got this!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If you couldn't stick with it the first time, why do you think this time will be any different?

With any "diet" you will lose weight as long as you are at a calorie deficit. Weight loss always comes down to calories. There's nothing magical about it. It comes down to calories for weight loss.

For your results to last, it has to be a lifestyle change. You can't go on a diet and expect to keep the weight off unless you are willing to put in the work needed. Things like moderation and portion control are important lessons that need to be learned for lasting success. So can you imagine doing Atkins forever this time ? If not, then maybe think of a plan that involves a lifestyle change .
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's better to lose weight than not, so do what works for you, but agree that you do need to be building habits that you can maintain for life. Just keep that in mind if you do choose Adkins, and think about what you will do when it's time to hit maintenance.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Atkins is only one of hundreds of diets and not even the only low carb diet either. Best to find something that suits you and that you can stick with for a lifetime. A diet that ends is a diet that fails but a lifestyle change is what succeeds in the end.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try overeaters anonymous and a good eating and exercise plan. I use MFP with a Mediterranean style diet.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love carbs too much to give them up now (short term) or forever. Try MFP out and you will see that you can maintain some of the foods that you love, while getting a calorie deficit. The process used here is almost so simple, it seems like it can't work, but it CAN, and it WILL if you follow the system and be consistent.
  • ng123ng
    ng123ng Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on every single fad diet. Every version of Hydrocycut, Herbalife, Liposene, Plexi, 1234 diet, a weird acv mixed with cinnamon "detox," Jillian Michaels weight loss kit, omnihealth, appitite control pills, green tea pills, xantrix, skinny girl weight loss, raspberry key tones, acai berry pills, slimfast, other shake diets, etc. They worked for weightloss, they never worked for good. I'd lose weight, and gain it back, sometimes more. The more fads I tried the heavier I got. I continually gave up on MFP because the process isn't "lose ten pounds quick" progress. However, I'm doing it again and this time I've logged every food I've ate. I started out with going over by a lot, but now I've been able to pretty much stay within my calories. I can feel this being able to actually work because I'm learning how to eat in a way that I can lose weight and not lose my mind. I've struggled with binge eating, but I feel the only thing keeping me from continuing down the binge eating road, is that I've literally had enough with blowing my money on diets that don't work long term. When I keep track off what I eat, it helps me to not overeat because I can visually see how much I'm eating. I was on here a couple months back and was too stubborn to take any advice. But I'm so over getting in the way of myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ng123ng wrote: »
    I've been on every single fad diet. Every version of Hydrocycut, Herbalife, Liposene, Plexi, 1234 diet, a weird acv mixed with cinnamon "detox," Jillian Michaels weight loss kit, omnihealth, appitite control pills, green tea pills, xantrix, skinny girl weight loss, raspberry key tones, acai berry pills, slimfast, other shake diets, etc. They worked for weightloss, they never worked for good. I'd lose weight, and gain it back, sometimes more. The more fads I tried the heavier I got. I continually gave up on MFP because the process isn't "lose ten pounds quick" progress. However, I'm doing it again and this time I've logged every food I've ate. I started out with going over by a lot, but now I've been able to pretty much stay within my calories. I can feel this being able to actually work because I'm learning how to eat in a way that I can lose weight and not lose my mind. I've struggled with binge eating, but I feel the only thing keeping me from continuing down the binge eating road, is that I've literally had enough with blowing my money on diets that don't work long term. When I keep track off what I eat, it helps me to not overeat because I can visually see how much I'm eating. I was on here a couple months back and was too stubborn to take any advice. But I'm so over getting in the way of myself.

Best first post ever.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet, just like all other fad diets, is just a "trick" to eat less calories. When you are watching how many carbs you're eating every day, the side effect is that you're also watching how many calories you're eating every day, and that is the real reason you lost the weight. Same with keto, paleo, intermittent fasting, etc. They are all just gimmicks that have the side effect of eating less calories overall, which is the actual reason people lose weight on them.

That said, diets like keto and Atkins can have the effect of making you feel more satiated with the smaller amount of food you're eating, and that is a benefit of those diets; but it has nothing to do with the carb/protein/fat ratios you're eating being digested any differently. All that matters for weight loss is calories. If you want to start weight lifting, then you would need to start paying attention to the macros like that.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Whatever sticks for you. I am doing a Ketogenic eating style. I feel full because of the proportions of fat. My blood sugar stays relatively even all day long. Carbs like oatmeal, bread, pasta and cereal... I could eat them forever, and never feel "full". This works for me and my changing habits. Try it, don't try it. Whatever you try out it needs to at least be a month to really see if it works for you.
  • rvilla31
    rvilla31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    If you couldn't stick with it the first time, why do you think this time will be any different?

With any "diet" you will lose weight as long as you are at a calorie deficit. Weight loss always comes down to calories. There's nothing magical about it. It comes down to calories for weight loss.

For your results to last, it has to be a lifestyle change. You can't go on a diet and expect to keep the weight off unless you are willing to put in the work needed. Things like moderation and portion control are important lessons that need to be learned for lasting success. So can you imagine doing Atkins forever this time ? If not, then maybe think of a plan that involves a lifestyle change .

I agree, I have been on the Atkins diet and I lost 40 Lbs. Just to gain it all back when I quit doing it, I went right back to eating the way I had been. This time around I am not really "dieting" so to speak but watching what I am eating and added an exercise program in. If you are burning more calories than you are eating then you will lose wight, change your life style is key. Make better choices in eating and exercise to maintain.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's a good start, but concentrate towards healthier fats, not just ANY fats. :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you will be much better off eating foods that you would normally eat but in moderate amounts. You just need to get a sensible daily calorie goal suited for your needs, add in exercise calories when you do exercise, and you're set. If you have a problem with actual food addiction, then you can try to deal with that too. Going on a specific diet is not by itself going to help with your addiction, the most sustainable path would be to moderate what you eat now. (If you don't have a particularly "healthy" diet now, you could try adding in a bit more veggies and fruits too)

By the way, I have lost over 18 kg since June by eating food I have always enjoyed eating. I didn't have to change a single thing I ate specifically for my diet. I just count the calories.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If you gained it back the last time, you'll gain it back again. I also lost significant weight on Atkins and gained half back.

Do what you can do for life, make changes to those habits that got you to where you are.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Live on a balanced diet, low carb diets are horrible. You lost weight because you were in a calorie deficit. I track my macros and honestly feel like I eat all the time. I eat high protein and moderate carbs and fats. It works wonders, just track your food.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I want to know if anyone feels that doing a low carb plan like Atkins Is a good idea long-term, or is it too hard to stick with forever?

Forever is a long time, but I've stuck to it since 2010 and there are plenty around who have eaten low carb for way longer than me. I eat rich and luxurious foods and don't have to endure diet rubbish like chicken breast or zero / low fat options.

It's probably a personal thing depending on your food likes and your home / work / eating environment. Voluntary reduction of intake is a common feature of low carb diets as is suppression of hunger, also weaning yourself off sweetness as required by the initial "no sugar no starch" approach may help you long term lose the taste for sweet stuff and help with the overeating.

Good luck with your choice.
  • manganga13
    manganga13 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This idea that low carb, high fat diets only work because of the calorie deficit is pretty interesting to me considering that I personally consume more calories per day on keto than I did when I was eating tons of carbs. I have dropped 15 pounds in 3 months and lost four percent of my body fat while increasing my caloric intake so I don't think that's right at all. This is also while making no changes to my activity or workout schedule and in fact do less anaerobic work now than I did before going on keto. Cutting out sugar is by far THE most important dietary decision to make period because not all calories are built the same.