Newly Discovered Problem

Options
What would you recommend for me....
I'm very overweight but have become a lot stronger in the last two months from 100 daily pushups.

Before I go onto lifting, I want to be a bit in shape to be able to make good form on my lifts. Food was my first step. I think, I have that down pretty solid and seeing slow but consistant results. Calisthenics was my second, done it. However, now in cardio I noticed my left ankle seems pained when I treadmill flat. But pain seems to decrease if I tread slightly uphill. My ankle isn't letting me go beyond 3.2mph, and even that is only uphill not flat.

Sorry for the long winded details. Any ideas?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Rest for a few days and see if it gets better?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    maybe have your shoes checked out to make sure you are fitted properly. Also if you are very overweight, which you state, that could too weight pounding on your ankle joints and you might want to think about taking it slow and easy until more weight comes off and its not so hard on your joints?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Your shoes probably have a raised heel - most shoes do. That puts more stress on the ankle when walking. The incline on the treadmill sort of neutralizes the effect of the heel, but it's still not ideal to walk in them. Try walking in an ordinary pair of skateboard shoes or other "zero heel" shoes and post your results. :+1:
  • adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    maybe have your shoes checked out to make sure you are fitted properly. Also if you are very overweight, which you state, that could too weight pounding on your ankle joints and you might want to think about taking it slow and easy until more weight comes off and its not so hard on your joints?

I thought about it but I wanted to take full advantage of the current motivation. I'll note changing the shoes. It just might do the trick. In case this puts things in perspective...I'm almost 80lbs overweight. 5'9" and 246-249 lbs. goes up and down.