Pure Barre

Options
I have tried pure barre a few times and really enjoy it. Has anyone else tried it? How long did it take you to start seeing results? Have you had to combine with other forms of exercise? Any other advice?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    mmiller714 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to start seeing results?

What kind of results are you hoping to get?
  • mmiller714
    mmiller714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @cherimoose a little weightloss (which I am also hoping to achieve through diet) but mostly toning. I don't like cardio exercises such as running and so I have a hard time sticking with it. I was looking for an alternative and I enjoy pure barre, but I'm not sure if it's enough on its own. I might have to mix cardio in. I just didn't know what to expect from pure barre.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    Looking "toned" is basically fat loss.. which is from an overall calorie deficit. Pure Barre is a relatively low calorie burner, so i wouldn't expect dramatic results from it. Anyone who says they got results while doing it probably got it from other changes they made, like a calorie reduction, walking more, etc. :+1:
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've only heard of Barre recently but I have season tickets to the ballet and I have to say I've never seen an overweight or out-of-shape ballerina. I would think Barre would be a great way to all-over tone.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I did it - got a pass for 10 sessions as a present and did all ten sessions last fall. I went twice a week for five weeks and I did see some results. I definitely got more flexible and loved stretching... Almost did a split by the end of five weeks. I lost some weight, but I was also running and watching what I eat, so honestly I do not think pure barre alone can make you loose weight...

I did not get my own pass just because it's so expensive. If it was cheaper I would keep going once or twice a week.
  • mmiller714
    Options
    @positivepowers very true!
  • mmiller714
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Aine8046! That's very cool that you could almost do a split. I agree that it is too expensive. I have taken a few classes at the studio, but I started buying the DVDs from the website and I love doing them at home. The studio series is my favorite so far.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    I've only heard of Barre recently but I have season tickets to the ballet and I have to say I've never seen an overweight or out-of-shape ballerina. I would think Barre would be a great way to all-over tone.

That's because ballet favors those who are lean & agile.. like how basketball favors those who are tall. Does playing basketball make people taller? Probably not. :+1:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If you combine it with other forms of exercise, doesn't it become "Impure Barre"?

... I'll let myself out...
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Any updates? Did you continue? I took my first pure barre classes yesterday and I am definitely feeling it this morning.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do it maybe 1-2 a week if I can fit it in. I definitely feel it in my legs the next day after going! It's not my only form of exercise so I can't say how much it attributes to my overall body transformation. But I just see it as a way to work muscles in a way that I don't get from the other things that I do.

I put it in the same class as yoga and Pilates. Between all 3 I try to get those type of workouts in 3-4 times a week...and for me it's mostly to gain flexibility and to stretch my muscles after doing more rigorous activities the rest of the week.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend does pure barre 4-5 times a week. It's not going to help for weight loss unless you're already eating at a caloric deficit. It's designed to tighten the underlying muscle so that when you do lose the fat, the muscles are already toned up. Any exercise is better than no exercise in my opinion. She does it because she's restricted for medical reasons as to how strenuous an exercise she can do and barre works for her. I think there are much better exercises for achieving the results you want than barre but if you really like it and enjoy it, why not. The only problem I've heard about Pure Barre is that it's quite difficult to achieve some of the positions and movements if you're heavy, unconditioned or not very flexible. It's designed and useful for people that are dancers, ballerinas and/or gymnasts. The Barre class I heard was a little more forgiving.