Looking for 60-plus with total knee replacements for support in recovery and weight loss

Options
jan115
jan115 Posts: 21 Member
I am a 60-yo woman who fell off the MFP plan a while back, gained back the 20 pounds I lost, and had a total knee replacement three weeks ago. As a result of surgery, I've lost 10 pounds and am hoping to use this as an incentive to lose more. I'd love to hear how others manage to maintain health and a weight loss while rehabbing. Feel free to friend me.

Replies

• lharbury
    lharbury Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a TKR a few years ago, and am in need of another on the other knee. Yup, it's hard to get the exercise we need if each step hurts. You may be able to find a low impact water aerobics class where you'll be able to work without pain and maybe even have some social time. Do your rehab exercises. Do them with enthusiasm, they are the key to getting good function back in your knee.
    I attend low impact yoga classes and feel like a get a lot out of each session. I'm lucky to have a supportive and encouraging instructor. I'm encouraged to do poses and meditation at home each day, knowing it will help me in class each week as well as to balance me for daily life.
    Keeping the weight off is my problem. I'm pretty good at losing the weight, but as soon as I reach goal I don't seem to have a good idea of how to maintain that healthy weight. I'm working on it......
  • Laura03211
    Laura03211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started 3 days ago. I'll be 64 later this month. I had both knees done in 2014 (3 1/2 months apart) but haven't recovered yet. I developed scar tissue & for the past 7 months have had tearing scar tissue & new scar tissue forming. Totally sedentary & need to change. I need to lose 60-80 pounds. I have tried so many diets and yo-yo all over the place. I want to succeed this time. I'd be glad to offer encouragement. Thank you.
  • jan115
    Options
    lharbury wrote: »
    Hi, I had a TKR a few years ago, and am in need of another on the other knee. Yup, it's hard to get the exercise we need if each step hurts. You may be able to find a low impact water aerobics class where you'll be able to work without pain and maybe even have some social time. Do your rehab exercises. Do them with enthusiasm, they are the key to getting good function back in your knee.
    I attend low impact yoga classes and feel like a get a lot out of each session. I'm lucky to have a supportive and encouraging instructor. I'm encouraged to do poses and meditation at home each day, knowing it will help me in class each week as well as to balance me for daily life.
    Keeping the weight off is my problem. I'm pretty good at losing the weight, but as soon as I reach goal I don't seem to have a good idea of how to maintain that healthy weight. I'm working on it......

My PT facility has a water aerobics program, so I am glad you mention this. I am gradually getting more mobile, and will definitely discuss the options at my next session. Thank you for your encouragement!
  • jan115
    Options
    Laura03211 wrote: »
    Hi. I just started 3 days ago. I'll be 64 later this month. I had both knees done in 2014 (3 1/2 months apart) but haven't recovered yet. I developed scar tissue & for the past 7 months have had tearing scar tissue & new scar tissue forming. Totally sedentary & need to change. I need to lose 60-80 pounds. I have tried so many diets and yo-yo all over the place. I want to succeed this time. I'd be glad to offer encouragement. Thank you.

I am sorry to hear about your scar tissue. It must be difficult to maintain any kind of diet and exercise regimen when mobility is an issue for a long period of time. My doctor and the therapists tell me I'm doing well, but recovery to me seems slower than what I heard from others. I did have a setback when overdoing it on my stationary bike last week, and as a result lost some of the flexion I had gained. I guess I have to learn to be more patient!

Let's do this together!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am working to keep from having knee surgery. My modest weight loss is already starting to show benefits by making it easier to walk and do stairs. Down is definitely harder than up.

And for you post op people, keep up with those ROM exercises. I see people having manipulation under anesthesia to get back that all important mobility the knee is famous for. A knee that doesn't bend ain't so useful.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    jan115, I sent you a message. I need knee replacement surgery.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I had a total hip replacement about 18 months ago, and the pre-surgical time was my impetus to begin to lose weight and eat healthy. I wanted to go into the surgery at the best possible weight & health I could, because I figured it would be difficult hauling around all that extra weight with only one working leg. I managed to lose almost 15 pounds in the 3 months before surgery, and concentrated on eating very healthy so as to boost my immune system and speed the bone-healing process. Since then, I began using MFP and have lost an additional 20 pounds. It was pretty easy to continue my healthier eating habits, and MFP made it simple to ensure I was getting the protein I needed for optimal healing & muscle building. The PT helped get me in the habit of doing physical exercise on a regular basis. In addition to building the hip back up, I had some Achilles tendon and knee issues from having a wonky gait for so long as the hip was deteriorating, but additional PT sessions took care of that. So all in all, it was a very positive experience that started me down the right road. Between the hip pain being gone, my hips being leveled, my Achilles and knee problems being straightened out, losing some weight, and exercising for strength and mobility, I am feeling better than I have in 15 years!