Announcing my goals publicly?

Options
So I decided to start my weight loss in private. The reason was because I'd told people I was gonna do it before...... And I stopped. I've done that multiple times. This time, something was different. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like something clicked inside. I've been eating right and going to the gym four times a week since December and I've lost 25 lbs. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm going back. I'll be living like this the rest of my life.

Over the weeks I've told a few close friends and family what I am doing. Them, along with members of this forum, have been a great support and motivation for me. However, along the way I got it into my head that I was going to go on Facebook and announce that I was changing my life once I've lost 30 lbs. I don't do Facebook a whole lot, other than catching up with family or advertising gigs, but I reasoned that it would give me more support. I also figured that if I lost 30 lbs under my own steam, it would prove to me that I can do it for me and no one else and would prove to everyone else that I'm serious. I also figured it would keep me driven. Problem is I'm closing in on 30 lbs lost pretty soon.

The actual thought of posting an announcement like that is making me really nervous now, for some reason. My heart starts racing! Am I being silly here? Is this even an issue? What would you do?

I'm such a goofball sometimes...

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, 80lbs down - I've never felt the need to make an announcement on FB. Really, while I get the appeal, what will it achieve? Personally I'm not private about my loss, per se, but I don't make a big deal about it either.
  • Skillet007
    Skillet007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, 80lbs down - I've never felt the need to make an announcement on FB. Really, while I get the appeal, what will it achieve? Personally I'm not private about my loss, per se, but I don't make a big deal about it either.

Good point. I'm kinda a people pleaser and I think this manifested through some sort of thinking regarding accountability. "If I do this and people know, they'll see I'm serious" Another thing that motivated me to this is because I moved across the country a few years ago. I have hundreds of friends and family, many who spoke to me about my weight in the past, who are still home.

You're right though. When people ask if I've lost weight, I tell them what I'm doing, otherwise I'm just keeping to myself. I suppose I don't have to explain myself. Besides, who wants every nosy aunt and uncle and old high school buddy giving you advice (that's probably wrong) anyways?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You know, I think there's nothing wrong with declaring your goals publicly to gain the support of your friends and family, but there's also another way to say "I'm dieting and losing weight" without stating it. Instead, try sharing healthy recipes that you've really enjoyed, or adding some photos of you doing things that people haven't seen you do before. They'll get the point, and support and believe in you, far more than they might from an announcement. :)
  • Skillet007
    Skillet007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You know, I think there's nothing wrong with declaring your goals publicly to gain the support of your friends and family, but there's also another way to say "I'm dieting and losing weight" without stating it. Instead, try sharing healthy recipes that you've really enjoyed, or adding some photos of you doing things that people haven't seen you do before. They'll get the point, and support and believe in you, far more than they might from an announcement. :)

Bingo, that's exactly what I'm looking for!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I told a few close friends and people at work because I wanted them to help hold me accountable. At this point, only one of my coworkers knows I'm still losing weight because I don't want to hear the "You're already thin" comments now.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are the type of person who posts about everything on facebook, this is no different. But if you are not in the habit of using facebook as a blog for everything, then weight loss is no different. Why would people who are not close to you care if you are trying to lose or not?
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I think this is a great idea, and your healthy habits are more likely to rub off on family and friends who might need encouragement themselves, more than if you just posted reports of your accomplishments!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted a single thing about mine on facebook. I also don't post full body pics of me so they can't even guess at it lol. My face is much slimmer but people online arent paying any attention to that (and I'm fine with it).

Only people that see me in person know and I only actually talk about it with close family. Well and people on here. I'll never be one to shout out how much I've lost because I was so embarrassed at my starting weight. If anyone asks how, I mention MFP and more exercise. That usually ends the conversation since I'm not using any "promoted" whack magic diet.