Best Fitness Tracker

Options
Well I'm ready to restart my fitness journey. But I think I need a new fitness tracker. I have been a fan of Jawbone. I owned the Jawbone Up, up24, and currently I have the Jawbone UP2. We'll the older Jawbone2 the one with the clasp that falls off all the time lol. I love the jawbone app and interface but I just wish Jawbone had a device that would do heart rate monitoring not just the resting heart rate on the Jawbone Up3. I think I need something that has Heart rate monitoring. I think that would give me a more accurate picture of my workouts. However, I'm not sure which fitness tracker is best for me. I'm looking to lose weight and get an accurate picture of how much I've done and where I need to be. I can kinda exclude fitness trackers that have caller ID and all that stuff due to work I cant really have all that anyway and If not who wants to be distracted by message notifications during a workout. Just another way to make me lose focus. I'm more attracted to trackers that have a band not the clip on ones. Id you have fitness trackers please let me know which ones you have and the pros and cons. I love Jawbone because of their customer service. A lot of people complain about the life of the bands or durability. I had some minor issues with all the models of Jawbone that I've had but the company is more that happy to exchange the device for a replacement. Please help me out guys. Btw I think I'm leaning toward the Polar A300.

Replies

• dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just spent a few weeks researching these bands!!! This review set seems to highlight some of the popular ones:
    http://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/the-best-fitness-tracker

What's most important is to ask yourself what you are going to use it for. What main features do you absolutely have to have? What goals are you wanting to set for yourself? From there, it may be easier to weed out the ones you don't want. My own example: I need HRM, tracker to acknowledge stairs, and easy to use platform that is going to sync with MFP. I really need to work on lowering my resting heart rate. I have anxiety, and even when I'm taking my own pulse, it starts to spike b/c I'm just nervous all around. I want to see how it goes up and down during the day while I'm not thinking about it. My office is upstairs (and we have no elevator.) I've been wanting to see how much I pace around my office/building between the two floors. I am eating less and moving more. I really want to see if I could get a better idea of how much I burn daily and how many steps I take.

I ended up ordering a Fitbit Charge HR last night. I hesitated many times before ordering b/c of the bulky size. It isn't "fashionable." (My back up plan was the Fitbit Alta that is about to be released, but it has no HRM and no recognition of stairs.) I also looked at Garmin vivosmart HR, Xiaomi Pulse, and Up3. Ultimately, I found that they make little clips or covers for the band to "dress it up" a bit. I also found a cover that would allow you to wear the thing on your ankle. That helped me get over the ugly/bulky factor.

Edit: Sorry I went a bit off topic at the beginning... I see now where you said you wanted the HRM function to begin with. I have the same need as you with the steady heart rate monitoring. If you look at the cnet, wareables, etc reviews online, you will see that it has the better overall value and function for its price. I have friends with the fitbit products. I had grilled them about syncing issues and other glitches. The only thing they encountered major inaccuracy on... is when they do long commutes/drives. It starts to log as activity.

• tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's interesting about the fitbit definitely not trying to log a drive to work as fitness I want to track my movement with no cheating. So I'm still looking at a few different bands now
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar A300 and I absolutely love it!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Pre-ordered the Fitbit Alta for my husband. I use Garmin Vivosmart the old one with soft chest strap.. I do love and it is great for my exercise..a lot of running).

So I would list what you want the band to do for you, detriment your price range and get a list of bands to research. In all seriousness, go out and read all the reviews you can find and I am going to include that you go the Amazon website, a lot of people that even do not purchase from amazon will post reviews there about products such as this.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No expenses spared?
    Fenix 3 hr.
    Has everything you'll ever need, period.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/fenix-3-hr/prod545480.html

Budget?
    One of the Fitbits, or vivofits.
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I decided to keep my Jawbone...well order a new one I cracked that band some how and I believe it is out of warranty. I was looking at the new fitbit but my jawbone did everything that one is going to do. As far as the A300 I think I will get one of those real soon because it looks like something I will need when I intensify my workouts. I thought I needed a lot of bells and whistles to help me lose weight but when I thought about it I lost 20 lbs with just working out more eating less and wearing my Jawbone. Im back on track now ( gained weight after the accident). As far as price goes, I'm a spoiled techy but MY pocket I would go $180. The smart watch components of most trackers I can do without because I work at a correctional facility. Just wanted some reviews from people that actually use the devices. As far as Amazon goes, the reviews always leave you in the middle. For instance, my band received a 2 rating and I love mine! lol Thanks for your help guys.