From 5k to 10k

Options
Hi everyone

I'm finally able to run 5km with no stopping or walking. This is huge for me as I couldn't run 200meters when I started my journey to a better lifestyle last year.
I now want to train towards a 10k and sign up for one in the summer. Is this realistic? If I run 3 times a week how long do you think it will take for me until I can run 10km?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to the 5k mark! Running is a great form of exercise and for those that enjoy it, fantastic fun.

A summer 10k is very achievable, but you should gradually ramp up your total weekly distance by using a mix of more challenging distanance runs and some shorter runs in each week.

Take a look at some of the runners world programs, like this one runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/your-first-10k-five-easy-steps/6843-3.html#historysub

Also, for general health (and it can help with running) it's good to have one or maybe two upper body strength sessions per week. It doesn't have to be a massive body building type thing but strength work will help maintain upper body muscle.

Best wishes
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep..

I like the look of this plan as well. If you don't like these plans, just find you one that will work for you and just follow it. You have plenty of time.

http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kbeginner.htm
  • pozorvlak
    pozorvlak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but that sounds completely realistic to me. My training program for a marathon last year was 20 weeks long (starting from "can run 10k comfortably"). That was a bit too short, especially since I missed some time being ill and then recovering, but I was able to complete the race. My time wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but a kill's a kill :-)

There are plenty of training programs available on the Internet, which tell you how long/far/fast to run on each day: search Google for "N week training program 10k", where N is the number of weeks you have to train, and keep looking until you find a program that fits your availability and needs. Then you just have to go out and actually do the training runs! It's also worth reading a few articles describing the general approach needed for distance running training - http://womensrunninguk.co.uk/training/making-transition-5k-10k/ looks good (and includes an 8 week, 3-4 runs/week training program, which may be of interest).
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. Great advice and links :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    pozorvlak wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but that sounds completely realistic to me. My training program for a marathon last year was 20 weeks long (starting from "can run 10k comfortably"). That was a bit too short, especially since I missed some time being ill and then recovering, but I was able to complete the race. My time wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but a kill's a kill :-)

Congratulations on the Mara. It's interesting that you mention illness. Personally I feel that half the battle with preparing for an event is avoiding injury or illness. I've chatted to so many runners (and sadly experienced it myself) who really suffered in their prep for an event.

So, how to minimize the chances of illness or injury? I'd say:
    • Eat well
    • don't try to lose much weight whilst training (probably nothing when preparing for a 1/2 or full mara)
    • have a training plan that is gently progressive
    • wear decent shoes
    • listen to your body
    • get plenty of rest
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Great job! Believe you can do it. Running is a head game. Just increase your weekly mileage slowly, running a few short, easy days, too; listen to your body; and don't get anxious about backing off a little if you need do. You have plenty of time. I also suggest intervals, hills - read read read online - lots of good advice for you! :)
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you can do 5K without stopping right now, your rampup to a 10K shouldnt be too bad. Just add 1/2-1 mile a week. Shouldnt be a problem. Good luck!

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the Hal Higdons 10k plan. If you can run 3 or 4 miles a few days a week you could even start training for a half marathon! I'm like 7 weeks in on my half marathon training plan.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the Hal Higdons 10k plan. If you can run 3 or 4 miles a few days a week you could even start training for a half marathon! I'm like 7 weeks in on my half marathon training plan.

+1 on Hal's training plans. He offers many of them at a variety of levels too so you can prepare for your first 10K (to finish with a smile) and, if you decide to push your limits, plans for setting PRs.

To add to what StealthHealth mentioned about strength training, it's not just upper body training that runners benefit from...

runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners
  • pozorvlak
    Options
    Congratulations on the Mara. It's interesting that you mention illness. Personally I feel that half the battle with preparing for an event is avoiding injury or illness. I've chatted to so many runners (and sadly experienced it myself) who really suffered in their prep for an event.

Thanks! And yes, I agree - but unfortunately marathon training outside throughout a Scottish winter was too much of a challenge for my immune system, and I spent a few days in bed with a nasty chest infection round about week 16 (and then took another couple of weeks to get back up to my pre-infection level of fitness). Next time I'll either allow a few extra weeks for the program, so I can recover if need be, or pick an event that allows me to train when the weather's less miserable :smile:

• pozorvlak
    Options
    Rockin2014: you may find the Bridge to 10K programme of interest - it's designed for people in exactly your situation.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Rockin2014: you may find the Bridge to 10K programme of interest - it's designed for people in exactly your situation.

Another in support of Hal Higdon's 10k beginner plan. Bridge to 10k is also really good. I did a program called "One Hour Runner" back in the day since C25k trains you up to running either a 5k or 30 minutes and I was only running 30 minutes (but not a 5k). So One Hour Runner got me up to an hour. Higdon's 10k beginner plan is 8 weeks so I think you'll be just fine to run 10k by the summer.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This is the program I used to go from 5K to 10K.

What you want to do is completely doable. To be honest, you could very likely go run a 10K today. I'm not saying you should, but the jump from 3 to 6 is much larger in our minds than in actual effort I think.

Be prepared for slowing down as you add distance. I got slower during Bridge to 10K, and so have a lot of my friends. Sometimes you have to slow down to run longer.

Good luck!