How long?

Options
So I have been on MFP for around 80 days. I've lost 16 pounds, except the last two weeks I didn't lose anything. So I incorporated 30 mins of jogging, (usually 1.5 miles in 17 mins, and an additional half mile inclined walking afterward) and some 10 minute ab workout that my Fitbit prompts me to do. I am diligent in doing these, every day. Should the pounds start coming off again? And if so will it be sooner than later?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight etc., a half hour of slow running/inclined walking per day is maybe going to burn an extra 100-200 calories per day, which is going to give you about 0.2 - 0.3 lbs per week of loss all other things being equal. It's not really enough to make a substantial difference.

Much more important is your diet. Are you counting your calories accurately (logging absolutely everything including beverages and condiments? Weighing all solids and measuring all liquids?), because that is going to get you much, much further than adding a bit of moderate exercise from a weight loss perspective.

Exercise is great for your health and the look of your body, but it isn't the most effective way to tackle weight loss.
  • zach121989
    zach121989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes I log accurately. I always measure and weigh my foods now. I don't eat fast food anymore. I drink only water, or diet soda. It really worked until it didn't if that makes sense. No pounds lost in two weeks. I've just stayed the same weight.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    then you need to reduce the amount of calories you are consuming.
  • zach121989
    Options
    I force myfitness to update calories every ten pounds, it's only dropped 10 calories from 10-15 pounds. Should I drop another 200,300??? I mean I can't get down to 12 calories. I'm nowhere near close to my goal weight for it to be that low, I'm 212 pounds, 27 years old and I'm 5'6. The calories seem to be about right for my height and weight, and age.
  • zach121989
    Options
  • drachfit
    Options
    reducing by another 200 or 300 sounds like a great place to start.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    no no no no, don't drop below 1200 calories. that's not how it works. and if you are 212 and 5'6"you need to be eating more like 1400. If you haven't lost in the last two weeks, don't stress it, keep doing what you are doing , 2 weeks isn't enough time to determine to make a change in your diet provided you are logging accurately. Just let some time go by.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »

No. No no no no. You do not necessarily need to decrease, especially by this much. Weight loss sometimes stalls for a bit while the body adjusts. It's an axiom around these boards that a true "plateau" doesn't even really begin until you've stalled for 5-6 weeks.

How many calories are you currently eating? I plugged your stats into Scooby's Workshop (a site I like to use as a "second opinion" to MFP's numbers: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/). According to Scooby, a daily intake of 1,759 will give you a nice 500 calorie deficit (1 lb a week) - and this number is assuming you live a sedentary lifestyle, which it seems like you do not.

Honestly, if the deficit you've been on has worked, I would give it some time. As you've begun incorporating exercise, this can be a water fluctuation. Make sure you're readjusting your weight in MFP every time you lose 5-10 lbs or so, so your calorie goal will be accurate (it should only go down by 20 calories or so - not a major dip). Also, continue your accurate logging by weighing solids and measuring liquids.

If you don't see more loss in a couple of weeks, re-evaulate then.
  • zach121989
    Options
    I'm currently at 1840 calories. Close to your evaluation of 1749.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    zach121989 wrote: »
    I'm currently at 1840 calories. Close to your evaluation of 1749.

That's not close. Nearly 100 calories difference.

Increase your deficit and the weight will come off. Here's your information plugged into Calorie Net's Calculator. I left your exercise level at sedentary to little or no exercise to keep the reading honest.

24810740313_0d8f7b5daf_o.jpg212

Looks like if you ate between 1255 and 1755 you'd start to see the needle going down. Try a week at eating lower than your current 1840 and adjust from there.

It always comes down to underestimating calorie consumption and overestimating calorie burn. My favorite brutally honest blog that I suggest is worth reading: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Calculators are great, but until you get that needle dropping on the scale - you're eating too much.
  • drachfit
    Options

No. No no no no. You do not necessarily need to decrease, especially by this much. Weight loss sometimes stalls for a bit while the body adjusts. It's an axiom around these boards that a true "plateau" doesn't even really begin until you've stalled for 5-6 weeks.

Do you have an actual source that says the body "adjusts" to a calorie deficit by not losing weight for 5 weeks?

Only time my weight loss stalled was when I was convinced I was "building muscle". In reality, some extra calories had snuck into my intake. When I finally came out of denial and got rid of them, lo and behold I started losing again.

I really suspect that the OP is making a mistake in his logging. That's OK, as long as he's always making the same mistake, adjusting calorie target down will take care of it.

This is all assuming he is accurate about his weight gain, but I doubt that is very accurate. To really know if you are stalled, measure every day and take an average. If the average is flat from one week to the next, eat less calories.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 212 pounds and consume 1,850 calories a day and not losing weight, something isn't right. This is probably broscience, but try a refeed day(s)/week and up your calories to jump-start your metabolism, then drop back down and see if you start losing again.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Do you have an actual source that says the body "adjusts" to a calorie deficit by not losing weight for 5 weeks?

Only time my weight loss stalled was when I was convinced I was "building muscle". In reality, some extra calories had snuck into my intake. When I finally came out of denial and got rid of them, lo and behold I started losing again.

I really suspect that the OP is making a mistake in his logging. That's OK, as long as he's always making the same mistake, adjusting calorie target down will take care of it.

This is all assuming he is accurate about his weight gain, but I doubt that is very accurate. To really know if you are stalled, measure every day and take an average. If the average is flat from one week to the next, eat less calories.

"Adjusts" was a quick way of saying that excess water weight from beginning a new exercise and diet routine is shed, fat cells empty, ect... Some people lose weight in chunks (once every few weeks) and never experience a steady rate of loss. It's called the "whoosh".