Thoughts on standing desks?

Options
I have a standing desk at work and I love it. I stand for an hour, sit for an hour. I take regular breaks where I walk around, get a coffee, etc. What are your thoughts on adjustable desks?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Sounds intriguing! I've never had one myself, but here's a story and discussion about it: https://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/10/01/standing-desk-dangers-of-sitting
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I used one for a while, but since I walk at least 7 miles a day 7 days a week now, I use an exercise ball to sit on at work. I also get up frequently and take some steps.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It is no substitute for exercise, a new cohort study has shown.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/10October/Pages/Standing-no-healthier-than-sitting.aspx

"Any stationary posture where energy expenditure is low may be detrimental to health, be it sitting or standing."
  • pandyg180
    pandyg180 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a desk at work that electronically raises and lowers with the push of a button. I used to sit a lot and not utilize the lift function but today, for example, I stood for 6 hours and avoided sitting so much. It felt great and I plan to keep it up. Standing burn calories so it is a win win!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I think they're probably all right for increasing your NEAT, but how easy is it to do work using those things?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I worked at a manufacturer of standing decks. The hours were long and hard. The wages were less than adequate. We decided to stage a sit in to demonstrate our displeasure.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    There is one at work. Never seen anyone use it.

It's less of a standing desk and more of a small platform for your computer so it sounds like you don't have much desk space so you would have your computer at one level an everything else at another.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand a desk like that! Gimme a nice office chair for God's sake.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand a desk like that! Gimme a nice office chair for God's sake.

i would hate it too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lots of my coworkers have them. They stand and work for half an hour or so, then sit for half an hour or so, then stand for half an hour or so... and repeat. The surface can be raised and lowered.

Seems to work for them.

One uses it because he has a bad back and can't sit for long periods of time.

I may ask for one in our new office, depending on the office layout. I'm not supposed to sit for long periods of time either because of a medical issue.

Meanwhile, I get up fairly frequently and walk and/or climb several flights of stairs.
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk due to back problems. I love it! It's a full-sized desk that electrically raises or lowers and has three memory preset positions. My co-workers like it and several others requested them too.

I started using it only half-day at first because I was afraid my feet would hurt, but now I use it full-time and my back no longer hurts as much. I no longer struggle to get out of my chair after sitting and getting stiff in one position. I find that I'm not just standing in one position, but I actually move around quite a bit more. I also stretch my legs more frequently during the day now.

I'm off the pain meds which is the best benefit so far, but my core strength (i.e. belly) has definitely improved since I started using this desk. I did not expect that added benefit. I've been motivated to resume using MFP again too!

I would like to know if there is a valid calorie count comparison of using a standing desk vs sitting all day.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have the electronic full desk type. I agree that standing all day in one place is almost as bad as sitting (not quite, but up there). When I am standing, I bounce and dance a lot. I choose to do that when I am doing more mindless tasks like just answering emails etc. If I really need to "think" or concentrate, I sit. I also got a "stool" thing from ikea that raises and lowers and the bottom is rounded - similar to sitting on a ball but more stable. I alternate all day long between standing, sitting in regular chair, and sitting on this stool at various heights (at the highest, I am "standing" but with a seat). Best thing every for my back. If I sit all day, i can barely walk every time I stand up - it takes about 50 steps before my hips and knees unwind enough to talk normal.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think that whatever modest benefit they might provide at first dissipates rather quickly over time.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    One person in my office requested one and now the requests are going nuts. I'm next on the list and I can't wait :smile: If I get caught in work I can easily sit still on my computer for hours and not move. Standing still might not be good either, but it'll cause me to wiggle around and move more.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk and it's great. It's stuck in the standing position and requires a lot of effort and time to put it back to where I can sit so I stand all day everyday.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mine is adjustable and a full size desk, it's great help with back/hip issues. I alternate sitting and standing during the day. Probably 70/30 standing.

I don't think it really does much to counteract the general inactivity that comes with an office job.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers requested one a year or so ago, and management got her one - the platform kind that you can put on top of your regular desk and raise and lower at will. I watched for a while, intrigued. She used it a good bit at first, then intermittently, and now, she sits pretty much all day. I think it's a good IDEA, but the practicalities vary.

I don't think it would work for me, having watched her. Sure, my computer could be raised to a good standing height, but if I'm reviewing papers or taking notes, the rest of my desk would still be way too low.

I do try to stand up and move around when I'm on the phone, though.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My husband had one for several years due to piriformis syndrome. He has since moved to a new company where they won't provide one and the piriformis syndrome is back with a vengeance.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love my standing desk!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I think for the sake of your circulatory system they are a good option to have if your job is primarily sitting. But as far as your health and weight loss, sedentary standing is still sedentary. Just ask my waistline and hip tendinitis.