Help major appetite!

Options
Hi guys,

I'm in need of some major help with eating and snacking! I've changed anti-depressants recently and these new ones have increased my appetite massively, so much so i'm never full. My doctor doesn't want me changing tablets yet as they are helping me massively with sleeping, however, she's suggested i keep an eye on my weight each week. I'm currently 13st 11lbs, which is a big deal for me, but i'm going with my doctors advice as they are definitely working and it's too early for me to change pills again. So since I've been on them i'm never full! I eat so much and don't even feel sick. I've stocked up on loads of fruit to promote healthy snacking, however, it's just not working, so far today i've have 4 apples, 4 oranges and a load of grapes along with my lunch and still dinner to come.

I've really need help with snacking and meals that may make me fuller for longer! Please! I'm desperate and worried!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fats help with feeling full.
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I agree with queenliz try adding a healthy fat (even if it is a fish oil vitamin) and a protein to every meal. You mention eating lots of fruit so I'm wondering if perhaps the natural sugar in the fruit is increasing your appetite?? Just a thought
  • amamaelam
    amamaelam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem to this when I used anti depressants! I gained a lot of weight. I found that carrying water with me every where I went and drinking some whenever I felt hungry after a meal or when I had a constant craving for something, really helped me stay on track. Sometimes that feeling of hunger is your body trying to tell you that it's thirsty! Try eating a handful of nuts if you're just craving something to munch on. They should fill you up! Take care and good luck!
  • TheCampaign
    TheCampaign Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me always looking for new friends
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Try eating some protein/fat with those healthy fruits. When I eat an apple with some almonds, I stay satisfied much longer than if I'd just eaten the apple. Lean protein is very filling as well. I batch prep chicken breasts and eat it all week. Anything with lots of fiber will also help you stay full, so the fruit is a good start, but veggies and legumes can help too. Lentils are my favorite, but I also like black beans and kidney beans in chili. Chopped veggies with hummus dip would be an ideal snack to eat for fiber/water/protein to help you feel full. Celery and cucumbers are particularly good for filling you up as their fiber/water content is high.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I second the protein/fat/fiber. But there are just times when you got to shut the mind down when it is telling you are still hungry. You know you have eaten your calories you needed at the time so you have to work with those signals mentally to shut them down.

There are times though I can eat a plate of XXX number of calories in fat and protein and really be full from this meal and 45 minutes my body may still be trying to tell me to eat more. There is a good chance that those signals are telling me to hydrate.
  • noevalleygirl
    noevalleygirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get super super hungry right before I lose a little weight. If drinking a lot of water + my normal healthy snacks won't work, I make a mini bean burrito with diced tomatoes (fat free re-fried beans,pinch of red pepper flakes, a small amount of cheese, chopped grape tomatoes, smallest tortilla) and this usually does the trick for me.
  • Thomas1992h
    Thomas1992h Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps, just wanted to say a massive thank you for you tips. Today has felt like one of my more successful days, if you look at my diary ignore the doughnut. Unfortunately i'm allergic to nuts so I avoid them, however, I read that eating meals off a side place can make you feel full, and I have to say it's worked. This is the first day in a while I've been full and not wanted to raid the fridge. I've also been drinking sugar free diluting juice, which I think has helped. Tomorrow could be the complete opposite as it's shopping day!