What's for lunch?

Options
sophieblanks1
sophieblanks1 Posts: 3 Member
I need lunch ideas. Our canteen has a working kitchen at work and it's painful to say no to unhealthy hot food, but I'm getting a little bit bored of salad, cous cous and chicken. Anyone got anything healthy yet simple?
Thank you in advance, I look forward to seeing your ideas.

Replies

• Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Today I'm having peppered salmon flakes with pea shoots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and spinach. Other things I have are homemade soup with a few ricecakes, leftover dinner from the night before, wraps (I buy mini/kids wraps that are only 99 cals and stuff them full of veggies/ham). Sometimes I'll cook a big batch of Jambalaya (chicken, pepper, tomatoes, rice, Cajun spices) or risotto and portion it out for lunches, though not sure if you have access to a microwave.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ha, today am having salad, cous cous and chicken !!! i also like home made soup, ryvitas and pate or cottage cheese, cup a soups, left over lasagne/chilli, jackets and tuna (like poster above not sure if you have a microwave) wraps, pasta salad, use different dressings x tis hard work though aint it ! x
  • sophieblanks1
    Options
    Ha, today am having salad, cous cous and chicken !!! i also like home made soup, ryvitas and pate or cottage cheese, cup a soups, left over lasagne/chilli, jackets and tuna (like poster above not sure if you have a microwave) wraps, pasta salad, use different dressings x tis hard work though aint it ! x
    oh I like the ideas, yes we have a microwave, debating taking soup today, I need to start making it homemade though.

• clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    today I've had kiln smoked salmon flakes with cottage cheese on ryvita crispbreads.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    oh I like the ideas, yes we have a microwave, debating taking soup today, I need to start making it homemade though.

BBC Good Food website has some nice soup recipes, most are pretty easy and quick - I like their leek and potato soup which is so cheap to make! I also used their Jambalaya recipe last night, doubled the ingredients and made 8 portions which the other half and I have for lunch or dinner. Both dishes also freeze well, just swap from freezer to fridge the night before to allow it to defrost for lunch then zap it in the microwave.
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love roasted vegetables (I haven't gotten tired of them yet) =)! Usually I'll just roast them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. But if I'm feeling fancy, I'll throw in some spices...garlic powder, pepper flakes, cumin, chipotle powder, whatever. I made a roasted sweet potato salad with taco-ish seasonings and a cilantro lime dressing for lunch this week. And roasted chicken.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had two salmon fillets with a small side salad of lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers. No dressing, but sprinkled pepper and garlic on top. The fish was already precooked (leftovers from dinner the other night) so it was quick and easy to make for lunch. I do that a lot....take leftovers (I purposely overcook a little) and then reuse them for quick and easy lunch ideas for the week.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    instant pot coconut chicken curry with sweet potatoes
  • MelissaThe1st
    MelissaThe1st Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad with just chicken, diced apple and sriracha mayo. I forgot my lunch so I threw that together. Pretty tasty.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Side salad with cucumber, artichoke hearts, and black olives (toppings make the salad for me) with honey Dijon dressing. Sorry to say I can't help with the meat portion as I love chicken thighs, but I add some sriracha bbq sauce from Trader Joe's. Otherwise I'll have some hamburger meat, and steamed cauliflower and French green beans. While it adds to the calories, it's the sauces and whatnot that keep me from getting bored with my food, and mixing the veggies up so I don't get sick of one kind. I also started stalking the bento thread and usually try and take a few minutes to do something interesting with my food (ie cut the cucumbers into shapes, the veggies are in two little silicone cups for added interest).
  • MammaDuck01
    MammaDuck01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looks like I will be having an apple and peanut butter.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Egg white mcmuffin and a clementine.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I had a "salad" of one avocado, two boiled eggs, halved grape tomatoes, feta cheese, lime juice, and cilantro today. SUPER easy to make.
  • sophieblanks1
    Options
    :) thank you for posting back to me, I have read through your lunches and it's given me inspiration.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    i had a bahn mi and a couple spring rolls (the cold, rice paper kind, not fried)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I had toast with avocado and turkey.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love making large pot of soup or chili at home and use the leftovers for lunch. I really prefer a hot lunch, it feels more satisfying and of course soup keeps me fuller for a longer time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I usually have leftovers from dinner for lunch. Today is leftover grilled salmon and asparagus.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm having a burrito I made. Flat-out wrap (protein up, carb down, because that's what costco had), chicken that I stewed in green chile in the slow cooker, blue cheese, green dragon sauce from trader joes, and cilantro.
    And a cup of raw broccoli, because, yum.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave at work? Before I started working from home, I'd make a little extra dinner the night before and portion it out into carry-containers for lunch the next day. Maybe that could work?