I gave up sugar for lent, help!!

Options
My first post!! I have been on and off my fitness pal for a few years. Since meeting my boyfriend I have put on 20 pounds (comfortable love pounds ha) and I would like to lose them. I thought to kick start it that I would give up sugar for lent, that is all sugar, including fruit, squash, white carbs, you name it it's gone. I did have a couple of slip ups (afternoon tea yikes) but apart from those I have been very good and reaping the benefits (6 pounds down). I need some motivation though and any snack, meal ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I can hack much more boiled egg and avocado breakfasts. 3 weeks and 1 day down. Happy sugar free lives everyone

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Please don't make Lent into a crash diet plan.
  • lydiaholtom
    lydiaholtom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I won't, promise! It was actually something to help my concentration as I'm an Open University student. It's working wonders and the weight was an added bonus. I find I'm better if I have short aims so 6 weeks should hopefully turn into better life choices afterwards.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Maybe too restrictive, but you know what you are doing. Just some meal suggestions:
    Breakfast: protein shakes, omelets/frittata, oatmeal
    Lunch/Dinners: pick a protein (beans, meat, seafood) and add nonstarchy veggies (Brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower); substitute riced cauliflower for rice and top with stir fry protein and veggies; zucchini pizza (don't know why you are eliminating squash but I'll put this here just incase). Edemame pasta with meat sauce or any sauce for that matter.

Hope this helps!
  • lydiaholtom
    Options
    I will also donate all the money I save from not eating sweets to charity
  • lydiaholtom
    Options
    That's great cathipa thank you. I mean squash as a concentrated juice to flavour water not the vegetable. Hadn't thought of riced cauliflower. I'll try that!!
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Wow I gave up sugar a few years ago and also felt the benefits but I only gave up obvious sugars such as sweets and artificial sweeteners but you have really gone all out with it that's awesome I truly applaud you for your will power!! Keep up the great work!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    That's great cathipa thank you. I mean squash as a concentrated juice to flavour water not the vegetable. Hadn't thought of riced cauliflower. I'll try that!!

Then I also recommend using spaghetti squash as well. Also you can eat lunch and dinner for breakfast too. It doesn't have to be all eggs and avocado :)
  • lydiaholtom
    Options
    Thank you Mel. Words of encouragement are greatly appreciated
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No advice since I've tried several times to give up sugar and only made it 2 days. I'm impressed you've done 3 weeks!
  • TheCampaign
    TheCampaign Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me always looking for new friends