Need to find motivation. .....recovering from hip replacement surgery

Options
Frisky221
Frisky221 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Just like most I'm starting here as a resolution for 2016.....I'm looking for people to be accountable to and just to get motivation from. I'm 43 with 2 kiddos (that is not including my husband...he he)! I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery and need to not only lose alot of weight but need to get this new hip in motion ☺ (I am a person who will use any excuse NOT to do what I need to ..... so I'm okay with some people/friends to be a bit pushy if needed)

Replies

• The_Pace
    The_Pace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Frisky,

I am 51 and had a knee replacement last year so I can relate a bit. Please don't use any excuse NOT to do what you need to do about getting that hip in motion. Think about the pain you were in before the surgery. Think about having to go through the surgery itself. If you were willing to go through all of that you have to push yourself to do all of your PT to make that the best damn hip you will ever have!

You also know taking the weight off will help you keep that hip longer. I am not sure how long hips last but knees on average are 15 years. I don't want to have to go through that surgery again anytime soon!

Good luck!
    Lisa
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 42 and had a double hip replacement 5 years ago, honestly there is not enough help out for us out there as we are not elderly.

Feel free to add me.

Melly Xxx
  • mixdouble
    mixdouble Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 and just had my right hip replaced in December. It was a great success and follows the replacement of my left hip in December of 2014. I have been an overweight athlete most of my life and have been up and down on the scales. With my second surgery, I had to keep looking back at my exercise diary to remind myself that recovery takes time. Now I'm feeling good enough to focus on weight loss too. My advice to you is start with just the recovery exercises, be gentle with yourself, but do them EVERY DAY. At first I could hardly lift my foot a few inches off the bed. Even though these don't feel like exercise, you will get stronger each time you do them.