Breakfast Overload??

Options
I'm getting soo many calories from what I eat and drink in the morning, almost half of what i need for the day! I'm a bagel and coffee person, and I've tried those thin bagels but to me they taste like paper...any advice on feeling filled up in the mornings without using up so many colories?

Replies

• jezirus
    jezirus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats with blueberries and walnuts, and I feel full for a long time. I know it isn't a bagel, but I just thought I'd offer mine! Good luck!
  • Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oatmeal will stick with you all morning. Great filler
  • miguel3074
    miguel3074 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    switch to fruit and protein with an occasional bagel on the weekend. Protein is what keeps hunger at bay.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For me, oatmeal or a low calorie slice of bread with peanut butter on it.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love bagels too and have issues with carb sensitivity. I don't have them everyday but I like Thomas mini bagels. they come in lots of flavors and are 120 to 130 calories for the WHOLE bagle. Add some protein with it and you would have a good start. a mini bagel and two slices of bacon would be 200 calories. or a mini bagel and one egg and one egg white. I have cinnamon & brown sugar ones in the fridge right now, they have Cinnamon Raisin, Strawberry, Blueberry and now Pretzel bagels.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ditto on the oatmeal......
    eggs stick with you a long time also!
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you need per day? I'm set at 1510 and usually for breakfast I'll have a biscuit, 1/2 cup plain cheerios with 1 packet splenda and 1/2 cup soy milk, one banana, a glass of orange juice and a mug of green tea. It's less than 500 but that might be considered a lot to some people. I ate at 9 and I'm still full (it's 12:30 here)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    protein, protein, protein. Make sure at every meal you are getting more protein than carbs.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a whole wheat english muffin smeared with either peanut butter or almond butter. Sometimes I add a few slices of strawberries if I have them.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For me, oatmeal or a low calorie slice of bread with peanut butter on it.

I agree here, usually the pb with a piece of toast, or cream cheese. I mix it up, and it stays with me a while.
  • jgdragonfly411
    Options
    Unfortunately you might just have to switch your breakfast food. Bagels can also be high in empty carbs, which give you a sugar spike and then leave you hungry again. I eat oatmeal, with almonds, fruit, or protein powder and a touch of honey. Or I'll have eggs with light cheese and salsa with grapefruit or some other fruit. I stay pretty full through lunch with those.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I eat the thin bagels - but I have tomato, cucumber, sprouts, avocado and dijon mustard (instead of cream cheese) so the bagel is pretty much just there to hold the veg together ;-)

I eat it with a low-sodium V8 for a super-veg breakfast for 283 calories.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I love my bagels!

I will toast 1/2 a sesame bagel from either Einstein's or Panera, and while it's toasting I saute some onion and bell pepper in a tsp. butter or olive oil, add chopped tomato, asparagus, whatever I have, then pour in and scramble 1/4 c. egg product.

I spread the 1/2 bagel with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow light french onion cheese (35 calories), a slice or 2 of deli ham, then balance that egg on top--yum! 200-some calories and worth every one!
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with a banana or an egg white omlet.
  • aly1221
    aly1221 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to trying some of these and cutting the morning calories :D
  • OspreyRugbyMom
    OspreyRugbyMom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So, when I get up on time, I eat a bowl of 3 minute oatmeal, with 1/4 cup skim milk and top with raisins and almonds, or a couple strawberries and vanilla extract, or even cinnamon and pineapple (you get the idea). And after my work out two eggs (either poached or scrambled in the micro) and a piece of bread or if it was a harder workout I'll have an English muffin. On the days I don't do this I'm hungrier, and sometimes don't get enough calories and he next day I "bonk". I've also found that 'cause my calories are spread out from the am right through the day, my weight loss is more consistent. However, this plan only works IF I get up on time
  • thesassa94
    Options
    My favourite breakfast food is 6 nairns oatcakes with 3 laughing cow cheese triangles (light or extra light) then put in the microwave so the cheese melts... filling, delicious and under 300kcal !!
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I would suggest to eat a small bagel or 1/2 a large and pair it with a good protein, like egg whites & lots of veggies. Or even try adding some salmon & cream cheese to your bagel.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat the mini bagels, a serving size is 2 for 140 calories, I eat one. And I have to have my peanut butter on it, so I do crunchy peanut butter and its 260 calories. I also add a slice of turkey bacon, sometimes an egg depending on how hungry I am. :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Add some protein. if you must have a bagel, eat half and top it with some almond butter or an egg. The protein will help you stay full. I eat most of my calories at breakfast as well, but most days my lunch is a salad and this way I'm not stuck at dinnertime with loads of calories to eat. Lunch, dinner and the occasional snack tend to be my lighter meals.