any pregnant women out there?

Options
hello :)

just found out i was pregnant this past weekend and i'm DETERMINED to have a healthy pregnancy with minimun weight gain (my bmi says i should only gain between 11-15 lbs) so if you're pregnant or trying to be pregnant or nursing and on this site.. add me and we can do this together :)

Replies

• April1975MFP
    Options
    Hi, I am not pregnant anymore, my daughter was born on Jan 26 of this year (she is 1 week shy of 5 months). I have 3 children so I am trying to take off all the weight (my eldest is 5 and I also have a 2.5 year old). I am also breast feeding exclusively so I have to loose the weight very slowly. Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Hello! Congrats on the pregnancy! There are a bunch of us! Here is a forum you can join and connect with a bunch of preggo ladies going through different stages of pregnancy. It is really great for the support and friendship.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/263465-pregnancy-2011-june
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you plan on gaining only 11 lbs when the baby itself will weight almost that. 25-35 lbs is a normal weight gain for someone starting at a healthy weight. Feed that baby!
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congrats!!!
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    my little girl is 14 months old now, and i was in the same boat as you when i got pregnant with her-- told not to gain more than 15 lb. i ended up gained 21, but lose all of it by 2 weeks post-partum, then continued to lose and re-gain the same 10 lbs before i found this site. my hubby and i are thinking of starting trying for baby #2 in a couple months and i really want to be as healthy as possible for pregnancy #2. you have lots of support here!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    please do it healthy okay? 11lbs is ridiculous as the baby will weight at least 7lbs plus placenta, etc., etc. healthy clean eating adn your baby and you will benefit - but please do not worry about the numbers on the scale. it doesnt matter right now as long as you are aware of everything youre putting in your body and make it count, make it healthy. i gained 26 lbs with my pregnancy and lost it within 3 months and i wasnt exercising then or anything...i gained all my weight after i had him and just didnt care...dont know why because i was at the gym up until i was 6 months pregnant and i honestly believe that's why i only gained 26 lbs and lost it so quickly. i shoulda kept up with the gym but alas, here i am and im sending you big hugs and congratulations!!!
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    Not sure how you plan on gaining only 11 lbs when the baby itself will weight almost that. 25-35 lbs is a normal weight gain for someone starting at a healthy weight. Feed that baby!

i am not starting at a healthy weight. my BMI is high and this was a surprise baby so i was actually planning to losing weight before getting pregnant. but my DR said a 15 lb gain is more than enough...
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    please do it healthy okay? 11lbs is ridiculous as the baby will weight at least 7lbs plus placenta, etc., etc. healthy clean eating adn your baby and you will benefit - but please do not worry about the numbers on the scale.
    Exactly what she said. To only gain 11-15 lbs during your pregnancy, you would have to continue to lose weight from other places. Please consult your doctor. And congrats :)
  • tukrainets
    Options
    i am eating healthy and as soon as my DR gives the ok for me to keep going to the gym, i'll be active. the reason i say between 11-15 lbs is because my BMI is in the 30 range and for that scale its not healthy to gain more than 15...
  • tukrainets
    Options
    if you google "healthy weight gain" there is a chart on how much a woman should gain according to her BMI which is of course based off of weight... so for my weight and height it says up to 15 lbs.. and DR said that is right... :)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

This is not correct. Current medical recommendations are to gain *no more* than 20 lbs during pregnancy. 15 is actually optimal - unless you are already quite a bit overweight, then your doctor might recommend 10 lbs or even less in weight gain.
  • tukrainets
    Options

This is not correct. Current medical recommendations are to gain *no more* than 20 lbs during pregnancy. 15 is actually optimal - unless you are already quite a bit overweight, then your doctor might recommend 10 lbs or even less in weight gain.

i am overweight, thats exactly why i say that 11 lbs for me is healthy... :) i'm not starving or trying to diet. i am going off of my BMI, my height, weight and what would be healthy for my heart, my sugar levels and of course for baby to be born healthy... my DR okay'ed it and said he will monitor the babys growth... i know women who have only gained 15 lbs and had healthy babies and very easy pregnancies..
    like my dr said , being pregnant doesnt mean eating what you want, it means eating with is right...
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options

It really depends on what your starting weight is. I was overweight when I got pregnant and my doctor only wanted me to gain 10-15lbs durning my pregnancy and I only gained 11lbs and my daughter weighed 7lbs 9oz. I also had gestational diabetes so I was eating very healthy through out my pregnancy and my baby was healthy.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I know big girls that dont even gain weight with their pregnancies because they, I guess maintain their weight and eat alot already so they dont need to add the extra nutrition.
    Just make sure you are getting everything you need for your self and the baby because if you are missing vitamins the baby will take yours and it can make you weak and sick.

One of the reasons I am getting down on my weight is I want to have a baby soon i gained 65 with my last one and i dont want that ever again to happen so i will need to count calories too and exercise. I never did before.
  • tukrainets
    Options

It really depends on what your starting weight is. I was overweight when I got pregnant and my doctor only wanted me to gain 10-15lbs durning my pregnancy and I only gained 11lbs and my daughter weighed 7lbs 9oz. I also had gestational diabetes so I was eating very healthy through out my pregnancy and my baby was healthy.

my cousin just gave birth to a 13lb boy because she had gestational diabetes and didnt take care of it.. she gained over 60 lbs and was in a huge risk because she thought that it was "healthy" to gain weight...
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options

i am overweight, thats exactly why i say that 11 lbs for me is healthy... :) i'm not starving or trying to diet. i am going off of my BMI, my height, weight and what would be healthy for my heart, my sugar levels and of course for baby to be born healthy... my DR okay'ed it and said he will monitor the babys growth... i know women who have only gained 15 lbs and had healthy babies and very easy pregnancies..
    like my dr said , being pregnant doesnt mean eating what you want, it means eating with is right...

You are absolutely right. My doctor told me I should only gain about 15 lbs because of my starting weight when I found out I was pregnant. I was told the same things you were. Unfortunately, I gained a lot more because I ate whatever I wanted...hence one of the main reasons I'm on here now. Anyway, I hope all goes well with you and the baby...Congratulations!
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I only gained 17 pounds for my first...was told not to gain more than 15. For my second I lost 15 pounds due to hyperemesis, and my last pregnancy was rough with severe hyperemesis...I lost 40 pounds. All 3 of my kids were healthy. Hopefully you won't have as tough of a time as me! I'm sure you're eating healthy, and your doctor is right...keep the weight gain to a minimum...the problems associated with a lot of weight gain are far greater than minimal weight gain! Good Luck!!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tukrainets
    Options
    thank you :)
    i had hemorrhaging all throughout my first pregnancy so i couldnt exercise and was on bedrest but i plan on walking my 4 miles everyday with this baby.... :)
  • geri25
    geri25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First of all Congrats on your pregnancy. we re trying actually doing IVF transfer in Aug. Just listen to your Doctor If he said that is enough then go with that.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    I just had my baby girl 3.5months ago (which is what brought me here!) Good luck with everything!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!