Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I disappeared for a couple hours, and while reading some of the new posts I'm almost falling out of my chair in laughter. I can't believe slavery and rape have been brought into this discussion.
    Considering that we as a species kill so many of our own each year due to anger and carelessness (especially when it comes to automobile crashes and shootings), IMO we as humans have much more important things to be concerned about rather than killing animals for food.

One of the great things about our human brains is that we can be concerned about multiple things at a time and take multiple actions. Avoiding unnecessary animal exploitation doesn't reduce any of my ability to volunteer my time and donate money to help my fellow humans. And it doesn't increase my risk of being in an automobile crash or shooting someone else . . . I don't see the connection between those things at all.
    I started typing a more lengthy response and decided to erase it since it would be going into politics. But IMO I would rather devote as much effort as I can on helping other humans before trying to avoid eating animals for food. And on an important note, I personally don't believe my physical body would thrive best on a diet devoid of animal products. For you to do all that, then kudos to you. But many of us most likely cannot.

I'm not opposed to eating meat either, but this strikes me as obviously false. We are omnivores, so can get along on a wide variety of diets and don't need meat (especially with the ability to supplement B12). Many very healthy human diets have little to no meat.

I don't think the ethical issues can be dodged claiming that we need meat for health, AND I think that for the most part we'd likely be better off (and have some environmental benefits, which are benefits for humans) if we ate less meat.

Do I act accordingly? Not lately--I eat more animal products than I think I should, even though I am not ethically convinced that eating none is the right answer. Without a hard and fast line it's quite easy to just focus on what's easier or, of course, taste preference.
    I didn't say that I thought everyone should eat meat. I realize that there are plenty of people who have turned to a vegan diet and have seen their health improve. But does that mean it's best for me? That's where my answer is "no". It's pretty clear to me from some of the posts even in this thread that what's best for one person is not necessarily best for someone else.

I'm talking about broad human populations. I think there are exceptions who do need meat to thrive, probably, and definitely people who need to use animals in other ways (such as the medical example posted upthread, and the benefits to medicine generally), but I don't think that on an individual basis absent a health issue omnivores like humans need any specific food in our diet, including meat. We need protein, of course, but there are other sources.

Again, I eat meat and am not ethically opposed to it, but for the vast majority I think the claim that you need it is a cop out, and as janejellyroll noted if that was the real reason people would eat much less. We eat more because it's tasty (and also a convenient source of protein).
    I think we're probably using the word "thrive" for different meanings. I think it is certainly possible that I could eat a vegan diet without causing major harm (though I'm not sure about that if it means for the rest of my life). But would my health be in the best state it can be if I did that? Or would the inclusion of animal products enhance my health a bit? For the latter question, my thinking is "yes".

What is that thinking based on though? Is there data to support that?
    I do have symptoms of IBS and I can say that there are more plant-based foods that give me issues than there are animal-based. Secondly, I do need to limit my carb consumption for medical reasons, which means I would probably need to eat excessive amounts of nuts, seeds, or oils to get in enough calories without eating a lot of carbs. I also mentioned earlier that based on my current vitamin b12 level, I would probably be fairly deficient if I was not eating meat. Now I know this is probably not the kind of proof you're looking for. But IMO it's enough evidence to suggest that a vegan diet would leave me deficient in one or more nutrients and/or make it extremely difficult to find enough foods to eat for digestive and medical reasons.

I can fully understand where you are coming from but would like to point out that, as a long time vegan, my macro split is about 33% across the board when I'm following it correctly at a calorie intake of about 2800kcal/day currently.

I often go over on protein and let carbs suffer. It's not hard at all provided you are a little knowledgeable about what you put in your face.

All that said, I don't think you, or anyone else needs to be vegan if they don't want to or feel the ethical reasoning behind it. It's not worth it to me to convince anyone of anything unless it's actively harming someone in my field of view, although I'd like to end all harm I could possibly, I am unable to do so realistically and choose, instead, to live a lifestyle (hopefully) worth emulating and allow others to come to their own decisions and choices for their own reasons.

I've mostly been staying out of this conversation and enjoying the debate occurring... but at the same time am itching to participate because it has been the most reasonable debate I've seen on mfp regarding veganism in a long time.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    trinty425 wrote: »
    What I most dislike about vegans and vegetarians however, (from what I've seen most...so obviously not all are like this by any means) is their attitude towards those who do eat meat.

Based on what?

I find that within my extended family, much is made of my vegetarianism (pescatarianism) without any input from me. It could just be my sisters as they tend toward fussing over people, but the cacophony of "OK, I'll be sure to make something without meat for you!" starts to get a little grating. No special measures are necessary. It's one meal; I can navigate the menu fine to feed myself. I would prefer the less said about it the better.

I don't judge them eating meat. It's a free country, after all.

Also, I don't agree that people who don't eat meat suffer nutritionally.

This has been my findings as well. Some people do give me good-natured, although annoying, ribbing about it from time to time but I know they aren't doing it for harm.

I am a vegetarian mostly but because we've decided to have a baby, I'm working in some fish to my diet based on an interesting study I read a bit ago. I don't think this will make me any more healthy than someone who eats meat or chooses to completely abstain from animal exploitation at all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I do enjoy a thorough round of socratic reasoning. If only more debates were this strong.
    Would I describe insects as individuals? Yes, I would. It doesn't follow that I think all individuals are identical. There can be a lot of variation between individuals.
    So even though you strive to treat all individuals well and deserving of a long life, some individuals are less worthy than others? I am thinking specifically of the mosquito that carries the Zika virus.
    If "Do no harm" and "protect the young" and "reverence life" are your "shoulds," how do you reconcile those with choosing to eat meat? By "one another," do you mean "humans" are the "anothers"?

I apply these first to humankind, and where possible extend compassion and kindness to animals. As I have a biological requirement to eat meat, eat meat I will. But I can do so humanely and with kindness. On discussion with my granddaughter on this very subject, I do also hope that the whole animal is used, so that it's unknown sacrifice is reverenced. I have no compassion for mosquitoes.

Do I think a mosquito is "less worthy" than I am? I don't think about it in those terms. I think about it in terms of self-defense. I wouldn't kill a bear for pleasure, but I would kill a bear that was threatening me or a loved one. I'd kill another human that I thought was a threat to me or a loved one too. I don't think it contradicts the ethics of veganism for us to defend our wellbeing from insects that carry viruses (or threaten our health in other ways).

I wouldn't say I have compassion for mosquitoes because compassion is an emotion and I personally can't generate any emotion for insects. But I choose not to harm them unless I think it's a matter of self-preservation.

I am appreciating this debate too. It's nice to be able to discuss these things.

As humans we have a long and chequered history wiping out even entire species we perceived to be a threat. Along with the Zika-carrying mosquito, the wolf comes to mind. Sometimes we don't recognize our error until far too late.

I am reminded of a dark joke, "Scientists have determined if we wipe out these five vectors, we can stop all communicable disease in it's tracks. The five vectors are flies, mosquitoes, rats, mice, and children."

More about the wolf. Re-introducing the wolf to Yellowstone park had wide-reaching effects not anticipated. It turns out the wolf is a keystone species which helped revive not only the animals living in the park but by extension plant life as well. Even the water ran clearer. This by letting the wolf do what it does; hunt and kill.

"When wolves return to a region, they can alter the population, distribution, and behavior of their prey, which impacts the other creatures living there—plant and animal—and in doing so they change the landscape itself. The study of such trophic cascades has made clear that when one element of an ecosystem is altered, the cumulative effects of the change may not be immediately apparent, but they can be far-reaching and profound. From the smallest organisms to the largest, and all the natural forces that shape their world, everything is connected."

https://livingwithwolves.org/wolves-a-keystone-species/

What impact does our wide-ranging and changing food fashions have on our landscape? Is this perhaps just as harmful over the long haul as eating chicken?

I agree that we have been too quick to identify threats in the past. We should be very careful when making these decisions.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I disappeared for a couple hours, and while reading some of the new posts I'm almost falling out of my chair in laughter. I can't believe slavery and rape have been brought into this discussion.
    Considering that we as a species kill so many of our own each year due to anger and carelessness (especially when it comes to automobile crashes and shootings), IMO we as humans have much more important things to be concerned about rather than killing animals for food.

One of the great things about our human brains is that we can be concerned about multiple things at a time and take multiple actions. Avoiding unnecessary animal exploitation doesn't reduce any of my ability to volunteer my time and donate money to help my fellow humans. And it doesn't increase my risk of being in an automobile crash or shooting someone else . . . I don't see the connection between those things at all.
    I started typing a more lengthy response and decided to erase it since it would be going into politics. But IMO I would rather devote as much effort as I can on helping other humans before trying to avoid eating animals for food. And on an important note, I personally don't believe my physical body would thrive best on a diet devoid of animal products. For you to do all that, then kudos to you. But many of us most likely cannot.

I'm not opposed to eating meat either, but this strikes me as obviously false. We are omnivores, so can get along on a wide variety of diets and don't need meat (especially with the ability to supplement B12). Many very healthy human diets have little to no meat.

I don't think the ethical issues can be dodged claiming that we need meat for health, AND I think that for the most part we'd likely be better off (and have some environmental benefits, which are benefits for humans) if we ate less meat.

Do I act accordingly? Not lately--I eat more animal products than I think I should, even though I am not ethically convinced that eating none is the right answer. Without a hard and fast line it's quite easy to just focus on what's easier or, of course, taste preference.
    I didn't say that I thought everyone should eat meat. I realize that there are plenty of people who have turned to a vegan diet and have seen their health improve. But does that mean it's best for me? That's where my answer is "no". It's pretty clear to me from some of the posts even in this thread that what's best for one person is not necessarily best for someone else.

I'm talking about broad human populations. I think there are exceptions who do need meat to thrive, probably, and definitely people who need to use animals in other ways (such as the medical example posted upthread, and the benefits to medicine generally), but I don't think that on an individual basis absent a health issue omnivores like humans need any specific food in our diet, including meat. We need protein, of course, but there are other sources.

Again, I eat meat and am not ethically opposed to it, but for the vast majority I think the claim that you need it is a cop out, and as janejellyroll noted if that was the real reason people would eat much less. We eat more because it's tasty (and also a convenient source of protein).
    I think we're probably using the word "thrive" for different meanings. I think it is certainly possible that I could eat a vegan diet without causing major harm (though I'm not sure about that if it means for the rest of my life). But would my health be in the best state it can be if I did that? Or would the inclusion of animal products enhance my health a bit? For the latter question, my thinking is "yes".

I do have symptoms of IBS and I can say that there are more plant-based foods that give me issues than there are animal-based. Secondly, I do need to limit my carb consumption for medical reasons, which means I would probably need to eat excessive amounts of nuts, seeds, or oils to get in enough calories without eating a lot of carbs. I also mentioned earlier that based on my current vitamin b12 level, I would probably be fairly deficient if I was not eating meat. Now I know this is probably not the kind of proof you're looking for. But IMO it's enough evidence to suggest that a vegan diet would leave me deficient in one or more nutrients and/or make it extremely difficult to find enough foods to eat for digestive and medical reasons.

Health does make it more complicated. I'm just a layperson, but there are certainly people with IBS who thrive on a plant-based diet. That doesn't mean it would work for you though.

At the end of the day, we're arguing from a limited case if you're arguing that your particular health problems make it ethically appropriate for you to eat meat. What about people without health problems? If your health problems are a justification for meat consumption, does that mean you think other people should stop eating meat? If not, I'm not sure what relevance your health problems have to the conversation -- because it means you think there is another justification -- besides illness -- for using animals for food.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Health does make it more complicated. I'm just a layperson, but there are certainly people with IBS who thrive on a plant-based diet. That doesn't mean it would work for you though.

At the end of the day, we're arguing from a limited case if you're arguing that your particular health problems make it ethically appropriate for you to eat meat. What about people without health problems? If your health problems are a justification for meat consumption, does that mean you think other people should stop eating meat? If not, I'm not sure what relevance your health problems have to the conversation -- because it means you think there is another justification -- besides illness -- for using animals for food.
    We already discussed the superiority aspect of it.

• janejellyroll
    edited March 2016
    Options

You said we were created to have superiority over them and that includes killing them if we think we have a "good reason." But if it isn't required for our health and wellbeing, do you consider killing for pleasure a sufficient reason?

Because for a lot of animal exploitation, the justification comes down to "I enjoy it."
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

You said we were created to have superiority over them and that includes killing them if we think we have a "good reason." But if it isn't required for our health and wellbeing, do you consider killing for pleasure a sufficient reason?

Because for a lot of animal exploitation, the justification comes down to "I enjoy it."

Someone has to put the sheep in their place. Eventually they'll start demanding things like Apple Cider Vinegar in their diet if one doesn't occasionally make an example of one.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Someone has to put the sheep in their place. Eventually they'll start demanding things like Apple Cider Vinegar in their diet if one doesn't occasionally make an example of one.

You know what really hurts when you snort it through you nose from laughing? Milk. At least it wasn't apple cider vinegar. :o
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I didn't imply you were saying the act was right, but you are implying sentiment was - that some humans are animals and should only have rights similar to those of animals. Unfortunately, you're more concerned with being accused of being racist than avoiding actually spouting racist stuff.
    Your whole analogies continue to be problematic as I see you slipped rape in there as well for things that happen in the animal kingdom.

My analogies are not problematic. If you want to take everything I say out of context to try and make some point, then, please, continue to do so. I don't think you realize how analogies work. Not to mention nowhere did I come close to saying humans should have rights similar to animals. Again, you are taking what I said completely out of context. I said that humans are animals. That is a statement of fact, not some derogatory statement that you think I'm trying to insinuate about a particular group of humans.

I understand how they work. The problem is, you don't see how they do. They connect things. You're cool with connecting slavery to making a point about veganism. That's pretty demeaning way to handle a unique stain on human history. It will seriously not convince anyone of anything - people in your echo chamber will think it is ok, and other people will think you know you're demeaning that part of human history by trying to compare steak dinner to it.

I just want to point out that using the slavery=animal exploitation analogy is incredibly controversial even within the vegan community with many vegans rejecting it. So for anyone reading this thread and thinking this is how all vegans consider it . . . no, it isn't.

Thank you. I did not mean all vegans when I used the term echo chamber, but I see now it could be taken that way. I'm aware that a number of vegans and vegetarians disagree strongly with many of the more problematic arguments against eating animals such as comparing it to slavery, rape, human infanticide, etc. My own personal stance (even though I'm not even vegetarian) is that being vegan is not a moral necessity, but it is a moral good - similar to say human acts of charity: I wouldn't expect anyone to give up all their worldly possessions to others, but someone that does so, I consider as someone doing good. I think people that view vegan as a moral necessity are the ones more likely to make analogies that tend to be problematic because they start with the assumption of morality.

I was pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, but I hate people thinking that all vegans think that way . . . so I wanted to make sure.

I do think these conversations get out-of-hand a lot of times because people do start them thinking everyone shares certain base assumptions. But when it comes to discussions of morality, we can't assume everyone is working from the same assumptions.

I do think humans are unique among animals (although new findings about the inner lives of animals like dolphins or whales could certainly challenge that) and I can understand how people can conclude that we have an obligation to avoid harming other humans unnecessarily but that obligation doesn't carry over to other animals (I wouldn't agree with that argument, but I do understand it). When that is where someone is coming from, it's counter-productive to compare how we treat animals to slavery (and it's incredibly tone-deaf to the terrible historical realities of how black people have been talked about and demeaned over the years.

It would be nice if people remembered (or learned if they don't know) that members of every race have been enslaved at some point in history and that slavery continues today.

That's true, but the analogy used by some vegans is based specifically on arguments in favor of chattel slavery which has a particular context in the US. While people of all races and ethnicities have been slaves, not all of them have been compared to animals to justify that slavery -- and that historical reality is why I think comparing animal exploitation to slavery can be so harmful.

Not sure why it would have a particular context in the U.S. other than that it is about the only incidence of slavery that is taught, even in World History, which I find bizarre. Chattel slavery is a common form of slavery throughout history. It is only relatively recently that it has become illegal.

In most instances of chattel slavery the slaves were compared to animals. It was part of reclassifying fellow humans as suitable to be a possession. When it was an instance of one race/ethnicity enslaving another, it was usually the whole group that was compared to oxen or what-have-you. In the instances where people were enslaved by their own culture, it was the individual or slaves in general.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It's okay . . . tooth enamel regenerates, right?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I didn't imply you were saying the act was right, but you are implying sentiment was - that some humans are animals and should only have rights similar to those of animals. Unfortunately, you're more concerned with being accused of being racist than avoiding actually spouting racist stuff.
    Your whole analogies continue to be problematic as I see you slipped rape in there as well for things that happen in the animal kingdom.

My analogies are not problematic. If you want to take everything I say out of context to try and make some point, then, please, continue to do so. I don't think you realize how analogies work. Not to mention nowhere did I come close to saying humans should have rights similar to animals. Again, you are taking what I said completely out of context. I said that humans are animals. That is a statement of fact, not some derogatory statement that you think I'm trying to insinuate about a particular group of humans.

I understand how they work. The problem is, you don't see how they do. They connect things. You're cool with connecting slavery to making a point about veganism. That's pretty demeaning way to handle a unique stain on human history. It will seriously not convince anyone of anything - people in your echo chamber will think it is ok, and other people will think you know you're demeaning that part of human history by trying to compare steak dinner to it.

I just want to point out that using the slavery=animal exploitation analogy is incredibly controversial even within the vegan community with many vegans rejecting it. So for anyone reading this thread and thinking this is how all vegans consider it . . . no, it isn't.

Thank you. I did not mean all vegans when I used the term echo chamber, but I see now it could be taken that way. I'm aware that a number of vegans and vegetarians disagree strongly with many of the more problematic arguments against eating animals such as comparing it to slavery, rape, human infanticide, etc. My own personal stance (even though I'm not even vegetarian) is that being vegan is not a moral necessity, but it is a moral good - similar to say human acts of charity: I wouldn't expect anyone to give up all their worldly possessions to others, but someone that does so, I consider as someone doing good. I think people that view vegan as a moral necessity are the ones more likely to make analogies that tend to be problematic because they start with the assumption of morality.

I was pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, but I hate people thinking that all vegans think that way . . . so I wanted to make sure.

I do think these conversations get out-of-hand a lot of times because people do start them thinking everyone shares certain base assumptions. But when it comes to discussions of morality, we can't assume everyone is working from the same assumptions.

I do think humans are unique among animals (although new findings about the inner lives of animals like dolphins or whales could certainly challenge that) and I can understand how people can conclude that we have an obligation to avoid harming other humans unnecessarily but that obligation doesn't carry over to other animals (I wouldn't agree with that argument, but I do understand it). When that is where someone is coming from, it's counter-productive to compare how we treat animals to slavery (and it's incredibly tone-deaf to the terrible historical realities of how black people have been talked about and demeaned over the years.

It would be nice if people remembered (or learned if they don't know) that members of every race have been enslaved at some point in history and that slavery continues today.

That's true, but the analogy used by some vegans is based specifically on arguments in favor of chattel slavery which has a particular context in the US. While people of all races and ethnicities have been slaves, not all of them have been compared to animals to justify that slavery -- and that historical reality is why I think comparing animal exploitation to slavery can be so harmful.

Not sure why it would have a particular context in the U.S. other than that it is about the only incidence of slavery that is taught, even in World History, which I find bizarre. Chattel slavery is a common form of slavery throughout history. It is only relatively recently that it has become illegal.

In most instances of chattel slavery the slaves were compared to animals. It was part of reclassifying fellow humans as suitable to be a possession. When it was an instance of one race/ethnicity enslaving another, it was usually the whole group that was compared to oxen or what-have-you. In the instances where people were enslaved by their own culture, it was the individual or slaves in general.

It has a particular context in the US because we have millions of citizens who are descended from people held in chattel slavery, an institution that was abolished just recently (historically speaking). If my comments made you think I was ignorant about slavery in general, I assure you that I'm not. I didn't even take World History, I tested out of it and went on to take other history classes.

I still think that talking about slavery and comparing those held in slavery to animals often brings specific racial components to the conversation, something we should be aware of when throwing analogies about slavery around.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

A lot of the things we do for pleasure because they are good for us. I've thought about our efforts in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and we can make a robot intelligent enough. But how do we motivate it to do more than stare at it's navel, unless we hard-coded it to interact? I swear it is our pesky hormones, our serotonins, and our oxytoycins that drive us to do more than sit. There's hunger, satiety, romance, compassion, mothering, and altruism. None of those things are required, logically. But they move us.

000765f3-440.jpg
  • stealthq
    Options

Indeed, to a certain extent, the construction of race as a concept comes out of justifying chattel slavery.

Not certain I agree with that. Chattel slavery was often within a race.

Race as a concept grew out of the simple observation that certain groups have significantly different and generally internally consistent physical characteristics. Obvious differences like that would undoubtedly have fed the 'you're different than us and therefore less than us' mentality. Also would have fed xenophobia.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Personally, I would say that killing animals for our food consumption is morally justifiable enough to override the exploitation aspect of it, even though we may not absolutely need to.

• stealthq
    Options

It has a particular context in the US because we have millions of citizens who are descended from people held in chattel slavery, an institution that was abolished just recently (historically speaking). If my comments made you think I was ignorant about slavery in general, I assure you that I'm not. I didn't even take World History, I tested out of it and went on to take other history classes.

I still think that talking about slavery and comparing those held in slavery to animals often brings specific racial components to the conversation, something we should be aware of when throwing analogies about slavery around.

I suppose that is part of the point. A lot more people in the US are descendants of slaves than those whose ancestors were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation. A discussion of slavery should not* bring up specific racial components unless you're discussing a specific group of slaves.

*In the U.S. it does because that is typically all people here learn about or think about when slavery is mentioned.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Indeed, to a certain extent, the construction of race as a concept comes out of justifying chattel slavery.

Not certain I agree with that. Chattel slavery was often within a race.

Race as a concept grew out of the simple observation that certain groups have significantly different and generally internally consistent physical characteristics. Obvious differences like that would undoubtedly have fed the 'you're different than us and therefore less than us' mentality. Also would have fed xenophobia.

Race grew up as a concept around the idea of making in and out of power groups and justifying the ability of the in power to look down on the out of power. It becomes clear if you ever look at how races have been redefined over time, and how one era's idea of race changes.
    For example, people would think me strange if I said Irish people aren't white, but in the 1700 and early 1800s, Irish people were not considered white. Whites were considered the Anglo-Saxons, Germanic and Nordic people, while it was assured that the Irish were of the distinctly Celtic ancestry that was not white.
    Prior to colonialism and slavery, you'd often find descriptions of skin tone and such, but most dividing lines were far more about nationality / culture rather than lumping whole groups together like all of Africa or all of Asia. It was in the 1700s that there actually become a "scientific" study of race, and with slavery there became the one drop of blood rule to consider race some kind of inherited property that goes beyond outward appearance.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There was a time when the poor weren't considered fully human either, and thought incapable of anything but the most menial tasks. The founders of the American Constitution did not envision that voting privileges would extend beyond (male) landowners.

Oops I should cite my sources. Recently read:
    The French Peasantry in the Seventeenth Century

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I give up meat for Lent.

Otherwise, I live on meat, cheese, coffee and beer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I suppose that is part of the point. A lot more people in the US are descendants of slaves than those whose ancestors were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation. A discussion of slavery should not* bring up specific racial components unless you're discussing a specific group of slaves.

*In the U.S. it does because that is typically all people here learn about or think about when slavery is mentioned.

In the US it does because of our Constitution, our history, and the Civil War, among other reasons.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There was a time when the poor weren't considered fully human either, and thought incapable of anything but the most menial tasks. The founders of the American Constitution did not envision that voting privileges would extend beyond (male) landowners.

Oops I should cite my sources. Recently read:
    The French Peasantry in the Seventeenth Century

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

In the early US the issue wasn't that non-landowners weren't fully human, but that they were not thought to have an adequate interest/stake in the gov't.