Focus T25

Options
Hi guys, am hoping someone can help me. I have just finished jm 30 day shred and have built up lots of strength from where I started, especially in my upper body. I was thinking of starting T 25 but having read about it it seems to have 5 weeks of cardio before any strength training. I am worried that I will lose the strength in my arms that I have built up. Is this likely to happen or should I combine it with another program? I have been doing 30ds alongside cardio kickboxing or more circuit training as well as my usual walking and horse riding. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Alpha phase of T25 is more cardio-heavy than the other 2 phases, but I do believe there is a good amount of bodyweight strength exercises.
    If you've already done 30DS, then just skip T25's Alpha phase and jump right into Beta (or only do 1 or 2 weeks of Alpha as opposed to the 5 weeks). There's still some cardio in Beta but there is more strength training involved, plus Beta starts incorporating weights.

If you make it through Beta to Gamma, that's where the *kitten* gets real.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yea the Alpha phase is very heavy on the lower body and core. There are a couple of vids that hit the upper body. Total Body Circuit has things like tap pushups, spider lunges. But it's mainly just body weight. Beta starts to incorporate dumbells/bands into the workouts and Gamma gets really heavy with weights. So I agree with jeremy you should probably jump right into Beta. Or do a hybrid of Beta and Alpha. There are some great workouts in Alpha that you'll probably love.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The whole program is cardio heavy. That's how they get dramatic results - burn a crap ton of calories AND eat at a deficit!

The first 5 weeks are body weight resistance and A LOT of cardio.
    The second 5 weeks they add resistance training (dumbbells/resistance bands). Still, a good amount of cardio.
    I haven't made it to Gama. (less than 2 weeks and counting!)

My profile picture is 8 weeks of T25 (So 5 weeks of alpha, and 3 weeks of beta.) Updated Saturday (2/27/2016). I've lost 4.75 inches. (I don't own a scale.) *I do not follow the diet provided with T25.
  • engodwin
    Options
    OHHHH I forgot to add - I did 30DS before I started T25 - I wouldn't skip to Beta - just follow the program for a couple of weeks before you make that decision
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    engodwin wrote: »
    OHHHH I forgot to add - I did 30DS before I started T25 - I wouldn't skip to Beta - just follow the program for a couple of weeks before you make that decision

Just curious. What's your favorite and most hated video in Alpha or Beta?

For me:
    Fav: Speed 1.0/Speed 2.0
    Hated: Total Body Circuit :s
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thanks loads for the advice! I started t25, loved the speed 1.0, not so keen on the total body circuit.
  • engodwin
    Options

For me:

I loved speed 1.0!!! (2.0 is pretty good too)
    Hated??? I honestly didn't hate any of them but if I have to pick I'd probably say... Dynamic Core (beta) bc I don't feel as pumped or tired or sweaty after lol
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

For me:

I loved speed 1.0!!! (2.0 is pretty good too)
    Hated??? I honestly didn't hate any of them but if I have to pick I'd probably say... Dynamic Core (beta) bc I don't feel as pumped or tired or sweaty after lol

I loved all 3 of the Speed workouts 1.0, 2.0, & 3.0, and The Pyramid kicks my rear.
    Like you, I could have done without Dynamic Core.....kind of boring.