PCOS'ers

Options
UGH i have had ENOUGH of this stupid condition!!! I need ppl on my side, who understand this condition, who totally get how hard it is to loose weight, and that u practically have to STARVE yourself to see any results. I need success stories. I need ppl i can vent to. I need ppl who are educated in those condition who can help me stay on track and help to know what i am doing wrong....

If any of you can help, or want to be support please add me, email me or post on this. Anyone who is in the same boat as me, feeling alone and hopeless add me, email me or post on this....

Success and well wishes to all of you that struggle with this. Its one of the hardest trials in my life and i am TIRED of this being my trial... WE CAN OVERCOME THIS!!!

Replies

• Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hiya Honey,

I am in the same boat, but I think I may have found something that works, it is early days. I should be able to confirm it soon though.

Regular dieting doesn't work for me either, ho hum.

Feel free to friend me:smile:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand the frustration. I was dx'd with PCO when I was 24 (40 next month). Yeah, during those times, it was tough to lose weight. That was because I didn't really know what I was doing. Actually, starving yourself is the wrong thing to do. That's why you won't lose weight. Trust me, that's what I had done. Then, I'd get frustrated and throw in the towel.

The answer is pretty simple: Follow MFP's calorie setting. Change your carb percentage to 45%, protein 30% & fat 25%.
    Start eating 5-6 meals, spaced about 3 hours apart. Your highest carb meal, workout about an hour after. Meals should be about 40-60 grams carbs. Snacks should be around 15 grams. My diary is open if you need to see or ideas.

The most important thing is to change your mind. It is possible to lose weight with PCO. It's not any harder than it is for others. It takes work and dedication and you can achieve it!! :)

Good luck!!
  • Flossycat100
    Flossycat100 Posts: 103
    Options
    I totally agree with Kelika71.

I have tweaked my proportions so my diet is high in protein and fresh fruit and veg- my carb/fat/protein ratio is the same as Kelika71. My carb count is low but I haven't cut carbs out completely. I have cut out bread and pasta but I stil eat small portions of rice or cous cous and I get the rest of my carbs from the fruit and veg.

I eat a lot of tuna and lean chicken, and I snack during the day so instead of three actual meals I tend to 'graze' as and when I get hungry.

For the rest? LOADS of good cardio exercise. I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and do some BIG burns ( I eat around 1200 calorie a day and don't eat these burns back, which works for me). For example today I will burn just under 2000 calories, which includes a 40-minute walk to work and back, and my food diary totals 1230 cals. Keep the exercise varied- if you can enrol in some different classes, do- and swimming is also good.

I have had PCOS for at least 10 years that I know of and this approach is working for me. I agree that sometimes it can seem like a barrier, and people give p very quickly, but with a little hard work it can be done.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are many of us on here. MFP friends who also have PCOS are the only ones who know what we go through. Definitely feel free to add me! :)
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am right here int the same boat as well. it is hard to lose the weight...
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hey there hunn...

Sorry to hear about your frustration! But I am right there with you. I was diagnosed as a teen and always just thought that I was destined to be fat. About a year and a half ago, I decided that before I just gave up, I needed to actually TRY and lose weight first. And here I am!

It is definitely much more difficult with PCOS, but for the first year, I still managed to lose about an average of 5 lbs. per month. This year, it has taken me six months to lose 11 lbs. But if you keep at it, you will get results!

It is frustrating and it sucks when you see people on the forum lose twice the amount of weight that you have in half the amount of time. It is really hard to not be upset and discouraged by that. But I always just continue to remind myself that even if I am not losing that quickly, I AM still losing, and that means that I am getting healthy. And that's the most important thing.

It has taken me a while, but I am now 14 lbs. away from a healthy bmi and I'm thrilled. The victory is all the sweeter when you've had to work so hard for it! And so many of my symptoms have gone away... I went off the pill in December (I've been on it for approx. 7 years) and I was really worried about what was going to happen... and I have been nothing but pleasantly surprised! Just for that alone it was worth every moment.

Feel free to friend me, if you like. It is invaluable having friends on here who understand the struggles and what you are going through. :smile:

ps~ I have some before/after pics that I've made at different points of my journey on my profile, if you want some encouragement or to add to the "success" story, LOL. :wink:
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!!
    Had the condition since i was about 15... only finally diagnosed when I was 30... and that was only because a beautician told me to get myself checked for it... and I had to fight to be tested for it too!

I'm all for helping each other out and supporting each other! There's too much conflicting advice out there!
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I mean conflicting advice from the doctors and information on the internet!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    PCOS here too. I managed to lose close to 40 lbs last year and I will have to start all over again in the Fall. It's hard but can be done with the right foods, portion control, good calorie burns and this site. I love MFP!! I don't think I could have done it without their food diary.