Calories in roasted dark chicken with skin

Options
Karihappy
Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
I can't find the right amount of calories to enter for roasted dark chicken meat with skin. For 8.6 ounces, it varies from 370 calories to 606 calories. I've looked elsewhere on the Internet, too, but same thing. What is a good number I can input, hopefully by ounce so that it's easy to figure out.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Enter the request in MFP as 'USDA chicken dark meat with skin'. If you can't find it go to the USDA website.

Cheers, h.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's the USDA site for chicken leg, meat and skin, cooked, roasted: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/901?manu=&fgcd=

If you get familiar with how they phrase their entries you can usually find them on MFP, and those are the good ones. (They used to be easier to find with the asterisk/non-asterisk, but for some reason that feature was removed in favor of the unhelpful verified entry one.)

For chicken you need to know what state it was in when weighed (if you weighed it cooked, use that; if you are going by the store weight it's for raw and you'd use a raw entry). You also should know the part (I guessed leg for dark meat, and it and thigh shouldn't be that different, but I'd be specific just because it helps develop good logging habits). If you added anything like olive oil or butter you'd log that too.

Avoid user-input recipes since who knows how accurate it was and whether they also included other ingredients like butter.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I found it on the internet under chicken hind quarters.