Need help and advice..!

Options
I'm finding it hard to control my calories when I go out.. When I'm at home for the day and prepare/buy my own food i am in control of what i'm eating and find it so much easier than when i go to visit family and friends.
I always used to find it really annoying when i would be with people and they would be really picky with where and what everyone was eating, and i really DON'T want to be like that, but i am going to visit some family tomorrow who are quite unhealthy eaters and i know they will prepare some food that won't be good for me to eat... what do i do !??? PLEASE HELP !....

Replies

• oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    use the phone app if u can !! look up those calories before u eat. ITS KILLER but so helpful. be one of THOSE people if ya need to!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I always see if I can find the menu online with the nutritional information and make the decision of what I'm going to eat before I go if I can. If not then avoid the cheesy beefy stuff and aim for the fish or chicken, big salad, something like that. You can always eat at home before you go that way you can have a much smaller portion of the "bad stuff" when you go somewhere else.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I always take a healthy side, like a large salad for everyone (and all the healthy fixins) and different dressings. That way, I know there is one healthy thing on the menu. And on certain occasions, I will just find a protein (chicken, or a burger) and have it with my salad. Or eat a light snack before you go, so you aren't starving and can eat smaller portions of the unhealthy stuff.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Have a smaller portion and get some exercise. That'll help offset some of those calories.
  • SassyBiker68
    Options
    My family is the same way. Add more exercise to your day and take small portions. Drink lots of water. I finally had to tell my mom to let me serve myself. She wasn't happy, but I told her I was not going to eat everything on my plate and would throw away what I did not eat. :) I was able to serve myself after that. The idea of food being thrown away was worse than letting me serve up my own portions.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Be whoever you need to be to keep your goal in sight!!!! I always take small portions of things I feel are fairly healthy/ the best choices available at the time. Also, could you bring something to "share" with everyone that you can eat as your emal??
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try to only put on your plate things that you think are healthier than the others, and if you take some of the unhealthier items, try to take minimal portions. This way it will appear as though you aren't being picky, but just taste-testing everything. Sometimes we can't avoid unhealthy meals, but we can control the portions we eat. Good luck!
  • kathryn84
    kathryn84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is eating small portions of the fatty meal. Maybe try to fill up on healthy food before you go? Or bring your own snacks. Good luck!