Tough Mudder training tips

Options
So in a moment of madness I entered myself into a Tough Mudder which is in May. I was just wondering if anyone had any training tips. I have been running but I'm more worried about my strength abilities.

Replies

• ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    https://toughmudder.com/physical-training
    I've been trying to join one myself over the past two years, but spinal problems have been keeping me from strength training like I wanted to. Maybe this link has some information for you that you may be looking for. I do know that you don't have to complete every obstacle you come across, as it is just for fun, but it is something to push yourself through too.
    Hope you find what you're looking for!
  • lydiaholtom
    lydiaholtom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my back as well. I have been trying to build up its strength for about a year now and it seems to be a little better. Let's hope for a good day on the day!! Thank you. All signed up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They have a training program on their website.

These things are a lot of fun...so push yourself, but don't forget to just have a good time...and then a beer.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Grip strength...it is something that a lot of people over look on obstacle course racing, but is really important for a lot of the obstacles. Overall strength training coupled with your running is important, but do a lot of grip strength training.

And of course, have fun...because they are addicting!
  • lydiaholtom
    lydiaholtom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you for your tips. I hadn't thought of the grip training.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    Grip strength...it is something that a lot of people over look on obstacle course racing, but is really important for a lot of the obstacles. Overall strength training coupled with your running is important, but do a lot of grip strength training.

And of course, have fun...because they are addicting!

I second the grip strength, and I recommend a pair of fingerless gloves. The ropes can be pretty rough on hands.

Also take a look at technique videos. There are tips and tricks to get over the most common obstacles (walls, vertical rope, heavy carries) and good technique will help make the best use of your strength and avoid injury.

Have fun!
  • jcveng
    jcveng Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did one in 2013 and upper body strength is going to be more important than being able to run the whole thing! You'll probably end up waiting to get to the obstacles so that gives you a break. And the electric shocks hurt FYI lol!
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done 4. I have #5 in May. Grip and upper body is what I struggle with most, but there is always someone around you willing to give you a little boost should you need it. Try everything at least once. Have fun!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Grip & upper body strength (pull-ups, inverted rows, push-ups) are important, I'd also add in lots of lunging (especially weighted) & crawling exercises into the mix. Is suggest a focus on strength-endurance maybe circuit style.

There's always someone available to give you a hand & remember you can always bypass an obstacle if you're not comfortable with it. Have fun with it!