cleaning: light and moderate, or vigorous

Options
whats the difference and which one do I log?

Replies

• BrieGoorts
    BrieGoorts Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I select vigorous if I worked up a good sweat after cleaning, but if I didn't then I choose light/moderate...
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would say normal everyday cleaning, like dusting or sweeping or dishes are light/mod. Scrubbing the floors/baseboards and deep "spring" cleaning that only happens every now and then cause its so dang hard would be vigorous.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I would say light and moderate are chores like:

folding laundry, washing dishes, picking up around the house, etc.

Vigorous I sould say:

scrubbing tub, floors or carpet, moving furniture, etc.

hopefully this makes sence it kinda did to me LOL!!!
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    I always choose light even if it's a very tough one because I think MFP grants us a bit too much sometimes !!
    Rather less than too much to be on the safe side of daily calories!!! :wink:
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i'd say if you worked up a sweat it's vigorious. moderate if it's a lot of movement and light would be something you'd stand in one spot and do. i'm not sure i don't log my cleaning... maybe i should i clean a lot.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have heard of MFP People using this as their entry for sex before too. just fyi lol :laugh:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning of any form if it is above and beyond what I normally do. If I were to scrub floors on my hands and knees, move furniture, wash walls, wash the carpeting,.... I would add it in, but if it is daily cleaning or weekly cleaning, I assume it as my daily activity level.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Light- Dusting, sweeping, dishes etc
    Moderate- washing the car, vacuuming the stairs, reaching bending etc?
    Vigorous- Cleaning the garage, heavy lifting and lots of movement involved, probably sweating too.
  • ajanieva
    ajanieva Posts: 27
    Options
    (I meant this to be a quote:blushing: )

When I first started MFP there was a selection available for sex. I had actually used it a few times (we were trying to make a baby). But that was back before there was a newsfeed. I will not use it now, not if it'a going to say, "So-and-so just burned 152 calories doing vigerous intercourse." :laugh: I would die.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning of any form if it is above and beyond what I normally do. If I were to scrub floors on my hands and knees, move furniture, wash walls, wash the carpeting,.... I would add it in, but if it is daily cleaning or weekly cleaning, I assume it as my daily activity level.

I do the same!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    (I meant this to be a quote:blushing: )

When I first started MFP there was a selection available for sex. I had actually used it a few times (we were trying to make a baby). But that was back before there was a newsfeed. I will not use it now, not if it'a going to say, "So-and-so just burned 152 calories doing vigerous intercourse." :laugh: I would die.

bahahaha I would die too! lol that just puts too many mental images in peoples minds.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I have to admit I thoroughly agree with this. Even if you select 'sedentary' as your daily activity level, MFP does not assume that you are horizontal in bed doing nothing all day, the calories you use for normal activities are included in your base calories. To earn extras you need to exercise and move above and beyond a normal days amount. One of my friends is currently struggling as she logs each and every movement she makes on a daily basis (normal stuff like 'light' cleaning, walking to the school to pick the children up etc, stuff that she was doing all time anyway) and she eats back about 80% of these calories, plus all her base calories and any additional exercise calories she may earn, if not more, and wonders why she isn't losing any weight.

I hope I'm not coming across as a bit of a cow, I don't mean to, but I'm not sure cleaning and other normal daily activities should really count as exercise.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

I must admit I *do* log cleaning....but that's because I only do it once a week (no kids, no pets!), and then I do the entire house top to bottom (four storeys - I have a big house!), and I do make sure I exaggerate some of the movements, so I manage to get in loads of squats/lunges, for example! Having said that, I generally log it as fewer minutes than I actually do because I'm not convinced I can burn off as much as MFP says! If I was doing it every day, I wouldn't bother logging it at all, not unless I got no other exercise and it was a really huge effort for me.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    If I need to take a shower after cleaning the whole house from top to bottom I say vigorous!

I don't log the little bits here and there but the big clean I do once a week that includes scrubbing, vacuuming etc usually takes me 2 hours so I do log that.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I always choose light even if it's a very tough one because I think MFP grants us a bit too much sometimes !!
    Rather less than too much to be on the safe side of daily calories!!! :wink:

Same....and I only log it if i've done more than my usual daily stuff, like scrubbing the bathroom tiles, washing down doors/skirtings etc
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    Personally I dont log cleaning as an excercise unless it was hours long one off spring clean type thing where you really worked. If it is everyday/weekely cleaning then I dont add that, to me that is just part of everyday life...

When cleaning you are stopping and starting, your heart rate is not raised all the time and in 1 hours cleaning your heart rate may only be raised for 5 -10 mins of that...when you log into MFP then it allocates you calories for that whole hour which may be incorrect and then you eat them back and go over your calories...

I treat cleanign like a bonus, bit of extra excersie and a clean house but dont log it to gain extra calories...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Can I ask that folk just don't bother replying if its not going to be helpful. That post has been deleted. Can I also ask other members to simply report the unhelpful/offensive etc posts instead of responding and quoting, it further derails the original thread. As a result of multiple quotes you may notice your post is deleted or edited, no point deleting the offending post if leaving the quotes in.

Best regards,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning only if I've done something like hoovering right through, or cleaning the bath (especially after hubby has used it LOL) - but I always take off at least 10 minutes and only log it as light effort.

I have just logged my mammoth task of mowing the lawn though (as general gardening) - after 2 weeks of being away on holiday, during which time it rained nearly every day here, I could only tell the tortoise was on a walkabout because of the grass movement! Got to admit it looks a lot better now, the tortoise is happy about being in daylight again, and I worked up a sweat!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think scrubbing tiles, bath, sink, windows and frames and then mopping the floor counts as vigorous cleaning!

I've also wiped down all my stair banisters and rails, and once I've cooled down a little and had a drink I'm going to start on the kitchen and then maybe my patio doors to remove the grandchildrens' parting sticky fingered gift - I'll suffer for it with my joints later but it's got to be done!