What is your pre workout meal?

Options
Normally when working out ill just have a banana but ive noticed over the last week im really struggling to make it through my workouts. Likely because theg are getting harder and the banana just isnt cutting it for me now. So i need some ideas on what to eat before to get me through my workouts

Replies

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    slice of whole wheat toast, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and coffee/mountain dew/high caffeine drink
  • geoffkeddy
    geoffkeddy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Typically 1 cup cottage cheese fat free and a cup of mixed berries
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whatever my last meal/snack was. I've never found I have needed to specifically eat for pre or post workout.
  • KVS1985
    KVS1985 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to have an apple and peanut butter.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Some pre workout or a coffee. Am fasted training
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Preworkout supplement and protein powder with skim milk
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout. Usually I only have time for a protein bar but if I'm home before working out I love having some kodiak pancakes. The other day I had some of that Krave cereal and it made a great pre-workout snack too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people really don't need a pre-workout...IMO, most of it's psychological...and caffeine.

I think most people's daily nutrition should be ample enough for a daily workout.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I find something cold really wakes me up and makes me feel motivated. Nothing particular about the nutrition, I just have a smoothie or something of that sort usually and it makes me feel awake :)
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1/2 of oats with 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1 orange about an hr before working out. it helps me get through an intense lifting session without feeling too fatigued. :)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a high carb complex food a few hours before workout with lean protein. Right before a workout (15mins before) I will eat a banana or anything else with simple carbs so it processes faster before workout. I also have a protein shake post workout mixed with a little honey which spikes up sugar levels and helps muscles recover faster. Prior to that I had 6oz of cranberry juice (again for the sugar spike to help muscles recover) followed by a can of sardines which has 33g of protein and ton of other nutrients. But since liquid meals are more easily absorbed I decided to add it post workout meal.

From what I read so far it's good to get simple carbs right before workout, and complex carbs an hour to hour and half before (although mine go longer as that is the time I am driving home). Our bodies can not store protein so it's important to distribute protein intake through the day and have some before and after workout as well so that your body doesn't resort to eating muscle mass for energy while in deficit. Your body can store carbs so I am not worried about eating those a few hours before the workout especially since they are complex. My workouts were suffering a bit so I upped my calories (I was under my goal too much) and changed around when and how I eat and saw a huge difference in improvement of performance despite not eating most of my exercise calories back. Today I felt the best that I have in a while.

I think most importantly eat balanced meals on days your workout and on days that you don't, those will affect your muscle recovery and overall performance. Anyway I am no pro but this is what I have learned thus far from reading and experience.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I workout after I drop my kids to school so I make a smoothie for breakfast with a banana, frozen fruit, vegan protein powder, oats, and flax milk and I have that 45 minutes before I get to the gym.
    I used to just eat my regular breakfast of oatmeal and fruit but I found that too heavy in my stomach and if I had just some fruit I found myself having trouble getting through my workout. The smoothie seems to work well for me.
  • kristend30
    kristend30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    shano25 wrote: »
    I workout after I drop my kids to school so I make a smoothie for breakfast with a banana, frozen fruit, vegan protein powder, oats, and flax milk and I have that 45 minutes before I get to the gym.
    I used to just eat my regular breakfast of oatmeal and fruit but I found that too heavy in my stomach and if I had just some fruit I found myself having trouble getting through my workout. The smoothie seems to work well for me.

I workout right after I drop my kids off as well! I also found that just fruit is not enough. The days im with my trainer i started eating steel cut oats and so far its been helping me get through my workouts. I also have a protein shake right after. I take it with me and leave it in the car. Once the warm weather is here I wont be able to do that
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I eat a grilled chicken taco. Strange, but it's enough to keep me from feeling hungry and keeps me going until my post-workout grilled chicken taco.

:)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    before my workout - bp pill, chinese herb mixture/coffee (black), BCAA supps - I work out fasted because I don't like puking at the gym (and I haven't found anything to eat that doesn't make me puke during a workout). since I am also doing IF, I don't eat for 2-3 hours after the workout either.