Numb feet?

Options
Sometimes my feet go numb durring exercise. Usually just my toes, and usually not all of them (normally just the one next to the pinkie) but sometimes it can extend to the balls of my feet. It's pretty alarming...I've tried adjusting how I step, and I don't think my shoes are too tight.

Should I be worried? Or is it just a circulation thing, do you think?

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Sometimes my feet go numb durring exercise. Usually just my toes, and usually not all of them (normally just the one next to the pinkie) but sometimes it can extend to the balls of my feet. It's pretty alarming...I've tried adjusting how I step, and I don't think my shoes are too tight.

Should I be worried? Or is it just a circulation thing, do you think?
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    One of my close friends is a trainer, she says when this happens its a result of putting pressure and cutting off the circulation in your foot. From time to time in your workout, raise your foot and wiggle your toes. Try it! This works for me on the elliptical, when I feel numbness most often!
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    IVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND ITS ONLY ON THE ELLIPTICAL, SO I HAD MY SHOES TO TIGHT AND I STOPPED AND WIGGLED MY TOES A LITTLE BIT.
  • BCase
    BCase Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question. However, this happens to me. Especially on the elliptical machine! I have to roll onto my heals and wiggle my toes to get the feeling back in them.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I get it sometime too, especially on the elliptical. I just wiggle my feet around to get the circulation going. We can't all be screwed up, can we?:huh: :ohwell: :tongue:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too! I think it's not a big deal, the feeling always comes back a few minutes after I stop!
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me, happy to see that I'm not the only one
  • mitstac17
    mitstac17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to reply to this too! I can't stand when this happens...it seems to happen to me all the time. I really think we don't have the right sneakers for our feet. But, I really don't want to spend $150 on sneakers though either... There are times my feet will be numb for over a mile into my run, it does tend to go away but it is totally annoying!!!!!!!!!!
  • mitstac17
    Options
    Question...for all those that replied that your feet go numb - do you have high arches???? Just curious because my arches are so high I think I may need to check into getting shoe inserts...maybe this is why my feet go numb because of the lack of support in my sneakers.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    OMG! my chiropractor told me this can happen to your arms and legs if certain muscles tighten up. If you stretch before and after you exercise to keep those muscles loose (if its in your feet its probab;y up by your hips) you should be fine
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    mistac - I do have high arches and definitely notice a difference when I wear supports!
  • mitstac17
    Options
    thank mmkammerers - do you get support inserts from your doctor (fitted ones just for you) or do you have a brand that you can recommend - I have been running a ton and I can tell that I need more support or I may go ahead an injure myself which is not what I want to happen...
  • creddish
    Options
    I also have the numbness only on the elliptical. I was very alarmed, so I googled it and it really is okay. You can't prevent it. I usually get off every 15, walk around the gym and get back on. Good Luck!118961.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • cmmoreland
    Options
    happens to me to- especially when im on the elliptical! glad to hear im not the only one!
  • hibbler22
    Options
    MY SHOES ARE GOOD ONES, AND I HAVE I HIGH ARCH BUT I GET MY INSOLES FROM WALMART THE ONES FOR WOMEN IN THE PHARMACY DEPT. BUT I ONLY HAVE THAT PROBLEM ON THAT ONE MACHINE SOMETIMES NOT ALL THE TIME.
  • hibbler22
    Options
    WELL LETS ALL BLAME THE MACHINE OKAY! BC WE CANT ALL BE MESSED UP! JUST KIDDING! :laugh:
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    OMG! my chiropractor told me this can happen to your arms and legs if certain muscles tighten up. If you stretch before and after you exercise to keep those muscles loose (if its in your feet its probab;y up by your hips) you should be fine

Try doing strength training before cardio, too. It helps me get the blood going instead of it pooling in my feet.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. =)
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm very flat foot. It's got to be the machine, that's the only place it happens. My husband use to, but he thinks his shoes are now worked in well, so now rarely happens to him anymore.:smile:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I have the same problem... and I think it's because our feet never come off the pedals on the elliptical. I don't have the problem when I run, but some assisted weight machines, like the leg press, also cause numbness in my feet. Probably just a lack of normal movement. If I really get into a groove on the stationary bike, sometimes my toes go numb on that, too.