HELP! Trainer upped calories by 1000?

Options
I was talking to my trainer yesterday and he was asking how much I was eating. He looked at my app and almost fell over. "You can't eat 1400 calories a day, you'll die!" So then he did some quick math and told me I need to be eating 2200 calories a day.

Does anyone have any advice on this? How am I going to be losing weight eating that many calories a day?

HELP!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on your stats.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on your stats.

^^this^^
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Is your trainer a certified personal trainer? Do you trust him? Just my personal thoughts but why take the advice of random people online over your trainer? Depending on your stats like Francl said, upping your calories just might be the thing you need. Make them good, healthy calories and see what happens.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on your stats.

and your goal - do you and your trainer have a clear understanding of what your goal is? It's not a given.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    torid10 wrote: »
    I was talking to my trainer yesterday and he was asking how much I was eating. He looked at my app and almost fell over. "You can't eat 1400 calories a day, you'll die!" So then he did some quick math and told me I need to be eating 2200 calories a day.

Does anyone have any advice on this? How am I going to be losing weight eating that many calories a day?

HELP!

YES!

My trainer had upped my calories so many times the first six months of my journey. I kept thinking, there is no way this is correct. But every time, I would lose. You have to feed your body to fuel it. It also depends on the actives you are doing.

I always went with what my trainer said, and he never steered me wrong.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Knowing your stats would be helpful, but I am 5'3" and 112 pounds and my maintenance is around 2200 on most days due to my activity level. Now that I'm trying to build muscle, I regularly take in 2400. So, depending on your goals, the amount you were told to eat by your trainer may be just right.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »

HELP!

YES!

My trainer had upped my calories so many times the first six months of my journey. I kept thinking, there is no way this is correct. But every time, I would lose. You have to feed your body to fuel it. It also depends on the actives you are doing.

I always went with what my trainer said, and he never steered me wrong.

This a million times! I lost weight by reducing calories and then I lost more weight by increasing calories. I know how backward it sounds and I fully understand your fear but at least give it a try :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on your stats - how much you currently weight and how active your lifestyle is. But also, make sure your trainer (and you) understand how the app works with exercise calories. If you are only eating 1400 calories a day and burning 800 calories in your workouts and not adding those calories back in - you will do yourself harm. But if you are eating 1400 calories, burning 800 and eating back those calories - then you're doing exactly what your trainer said!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

HELP!

Don't panic.

Plug in your stats here to see what you need to eat to maintain your weight, lose a pound a week, lose 2 pounds a week, gain a pound a week, and gain 2 pounds a week.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • torid10
    torid10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.
    How many calories are you burning in exercise per day?

• ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options

HELP!

Your trainer is there to help you succeed. If you do not progress he/she becomes unemployed. Bottom line, stop asking a bunch of strangers on a random site what they think and pay attention to the person that knows you and is trained to help you win
  • Francl27
    Options

Ok that seems excessive then. Don't listen to him, although 1400 seems too low if you exercise regularly (I'm assuming you're not eating exercise calories back).

Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and enter your stats with a 20% deficit, and just eat that every day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,581 Member
    Options
    YMTaylor wrote: »
    Is your trainer a certified personal trainer? Do you trust him? Just my personal thoughts but why take the advice of random people online over your trainer? Depending on your stats like Francl said, upping your calories just might be the thing you need. Make them good, healthy calories and see what happens.
    Unless trainer actually went to school to learn nutrition, many parrot "broscience". Yes one could eat too little and have too high a deficit, but I've met and worked with many trainers who don't have any inkling of an idea on how nutrition actually works. Many would conform with the idea that a post shake is NEEDED after a workout, when in truth, it's not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Looks like a target of dropping a pound a week means you should be eating 1321 calories per day at your age/height/weight. 2200 Calories a day is going to have you gaining nearly a pound a week.

25352106452_ea39e15311_o.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,581 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2700 calories a day, then that's fine. Based on your stats your BMR is around 1650. So that's about another 950 calories you burn exercising and just being physically active (walking around, getting up and down, chores etc.) to meet that number. And that doesn't sound unreasonable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Francl27
    Options

Looks like a target of dropping a pound a week means you should be eating 1321 calories per day at your age/height/weight. 2200 Calories a day is going to have you gaining nearly a pound a week.

25352106452_ea39e15311_o.jpg

No way. If she was bed ridden maybe...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You do have to feed your body to lose weight, however that number seems high to me. I would just watch what happens over a couple of weeks. It will depend on your exercise routine, how active you are in a day, etc. You can always work it back down if you don't track the way you want to.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I agree that the number sounds high. Trainers tend to spout out a lot of nonsense when it comes to nutrition. How are you doing with 1400 calories? Do you feel good, are you losing at a reasonable pace?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I agree that the number sounds high. Trainers tend to spout out a lot of nonsense when it comes to nutrition. How are you doing with 1400 calories? Do you feel good, are you losing at a reasonable pace?

^^ This is the acid test.