Too much Protein- Is it bad??

Options
Can too much protein hurt? For example, my “goal” is 51 grams of protein. Today I am 49 grams over for a total of 100 grams of protein.

Is this bad?

Thanks,
Michelle

Replies

• butterfly1445
    butterfly1445 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious about this as well.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it hurts or doesn't, right now I am trying a high protein and low carb diet. Therefore my protein is way up and carbs are down.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Chump change. When dieting, it is recommended that you eat at least 1 gram of protein for every lb of _lean_ body weight. Well, that's the case for working out and not burning your muscles.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about going over on your protein.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    In fact, medical research shows that consuming too much protein -- more than 30% of your total daily caloric intake -- could actually harm your body, says protein expert Gail Butterfield, PhD, RD, director of Nutrition Studies at the Palo Alto Veterans' Administration Medical Center and nutrition lecturer at Stanford University.

- http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My protein is always in the red...not sure if it's bad either. I think we should keep track of sodium before protein...weird!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much is too much but it's your kidneys that will be hurt. Something about the excess of protein turns into sugar maybe or something like that. But I notice that this sight even says that I eat too much fiber and I KNOW that's wrong!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Short answer - NO!!! You need AT LEAST that much protein/day. MFP's protein goals are much too low. The avg. person should be getting about 1 gm of protein for every lb. of lean body weight, which for most women, is about 100 gm/day. I shoot for at least 100 gm/day, and hopefully more.

Unless you have some kidney disease or some medical condition that makes eating protein a problem for you, you should be eating LOTS if you want to get leaner and build muscle.
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you drink extra water to support your kidneys it's ok
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    The protein levels are low here. I changed mine to about 120 grams a day and lower my carbs to about 120. I try to stay between 75 - 100 grams a day.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my protein is always over too. heck the steak i had for dinner last night alone shot my protein into the red. i think MFP's goal for protein is too low. i wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Funny you asked this. I just logged my breakfast and lunch and have 0 protien left for the day. How is that possible? I think the protein goals on here are way too low..but who am I...LOL!!
  • StaLee29
    StaLee29 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would think if you are getting too much protein, then your not getting enough of the other foods you need in a day for a healthy food intake- fruits/veg/grains/ect. You want to eat balanced to ensure you're getting a variety of nutrients and vitamins your body needs .
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hernandezedw is right...i guess it is bad. I also just figured out how to track sodium...this sight is awesome!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Nope.. not at all

Although if you ate above your caloric needs, the extra protein will be stored as fat.
  • truenorth4
    Options
    We should have all gotten to the doctor before we began an aggressive weight loss program just to make sure there's a good initial idea of what a change in diet and exercise could do to you. Protein in large amounts is good provided you have good kidney function and take in adequate water to help flush. For some, high protein could lead to an excess of uric acid levels and lead to gout...gout is very painful. Moral of the story is check with your doc to make sure your kidneys can handle high protein intake.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I am also on a high protein, low carb, and no sugar journey.
    I am no nutritionist but I think MFP's protein levels are too low.
    I keep an eye on my sodium intake but do not mind if my protein is over.

Keep on...keepin' on...:flowerforyou:
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Short answer - NO!!! You need AT LEAST that much protein/day. MFP's protein goals are much too low. The avg. person should be getting about 1 gm of protein for every lb. of lean body weight, which for most women, is about 100 gm/day. I shoot for at least 100 gm/day, and hopefully more.

Unless you have some kidney disease or some medical condition that makes eating protein a problem for you, you should be eating LOTS if you want to get leaner and build muscle.

I agree!! I ALWAYS go over in protein as well but that amount wont hurt. Your body either uses it or you excrete it out. It wont be stored as long as its lean protein. Just watch what kind of protein you are eating.