What am I doing wrong??

Options
I have been at this weight loss thing for awhile now. I closely monitor my diet and nutrition, eating low carb, low sugar, high protein always with very, very rarely eating my full calorie count for the day. I drink water. I exercise. I exercise a lot! Five days a week at the gym and never less than an hour a day. Sometime six days a week. I vary my workout between circuit weight training, elliptical, recumbent bike, walking the track, HIIT classes and Kettlebell classes. I have not lost ONE ounce for at least three months...... Please someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? ...Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything on scales?
  • Marchy2k
    Marchy2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hear you I am the same way the scale does not move ,but now moving up from personal training I have been doing . maybe switch what your eating ,or not eating enough.which I realized I am not eating throughout the day .stay positive! You can do it !
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Will you share your food logs?
  • WorkLVV
    WorkLVV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just went on the support link because I am having the exact same problems! I've been so good for at least 6 weeks, only down 2 lbs! I'm starting to get mad at the end of day message "if everyday were like today..." I'm just trying to trust the process. I think sometimes working out delays the initial weight loss but I'm keeping up hope that maybe it will come faster later. Also trying to focus on how good the exercise is making me feel, both mentally and physically. You are not alone!! Good luck!!!!
  • jaycee773
    jaycee773 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you're not eating enough. If you are very active you have to make sure your nutrition intake matches, even if you are trying to lose. Otherwise your body can go into a form of starvation mode and want to hold onto calories/energy. Maybe low-carb isn't the right thing for you. I'm not a nutritionist so I'm not an expert, but many studies I've read have indicated as much. Make sure your MFP settings reflect that you are very active so it adjusts the calorie count appropriately.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If it was true anorexics and famine victims would be overweight not super skinny
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I have been at this weight loss thing for awhile now. I closely monitor my diet and nutrition, eating low carb, low sugar, high protein always with very, very rarely eating my full calorie count for the day. I drink water. I exercise. I exercise a lot! Five days a week at the gym and never less than an hour a day. Sometime six days a week. I vary my workout between circuit weight training, elliptical, recumbent bike, walking the track, HIIT classes and Kettlebell classes. I have not lost ONE ounce for at least three months...... Please someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? ...Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Simple. You are not eating at a deficit.

Read this: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • NikishaRichelle
    NikishaRichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you've been at, you should switch up your workouts. HIT work outs can actually cause stress on your body, releasing stress hormones contributing to weight gain. You shouldn't do HIT training for more then three months at a time. You should always eat your calorie goal and don't be afraid to go a bit over, eat lots of Carbs, carbs are not the enemy. You just have to eat the right carbs, leafy greens and vegetables a lot of nutrient and water dense foods. Also eating too much protein isn't that good either, just stick to the daily recommended amount. Drink lots of water, lots and lots of water, get enough sleep and limit your use of processed foods and red meats. You have to remember that it takes your body a long time to forgive you possible bad eating habits. It can take 6 months to a year for your body to fully respond to your new life style, so don't give up, keep going. Also, have you been taking body measurements?? Maybe you are gain muscle?? Try measuring, that can be more accurate then a scale to track progress.
  • NikishaRichelle
    NikishaRichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also limit alcohol. Alcohol causes stress on your liver. When your liver is working over time it disrupts your metabolism. Maybe also add a probiotic and fiber to your diet. Both of those things help clean out your intestinal track and keep it running smoothly. I use Prana probiotic Chia seeds, you can sprinkle it on food or toss it in your smoothie or real fruit juice. Never drink concentrated juice.
  • Rebek_h
    Rebek_h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Seems like you could be doing too much cardio. You want to lose body fat not just weight as such. Maybe do some light weight training instead of cardio some days.
    Do you use your calories lost doing your workouts and re eat it? If you know what I mean?
    You maybe arent eating enough food either If you work out that much.
    Always eat more veg than fruits too.
    The only diet I really manage to stick to is the 5:2, maybe look that up and try it for a week or so if you haven't already and see if you notice a difference on that.
    Are you tracking measurements and bodyfat%? And how much are you planning to lose?
    Loads of things could be a factor. Maybe more info on the foods tou are eating would help to see where it is going wrong.
    Hope this has helped a bit.
  • jaycee773
    jaycee773 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If it was true anorexics and famine victims would be overweight not super skinny

You clearly don't know what starvation mode means-- it doesn't cause you to gain weight!! It just means that your body's metabolism slows down because it is trying to hang on to as many calories as it can. It will still burn energy, just not at the most efficient rate. It's a biological response hearkening back to caveman days so our ancestors didn't starve to death when food wasn't readily available.

• lisasmith1965
    lisasmith1965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. I am going to try eating a few more calories and adding a few more carbs back into my diet and see if that makes a difference. I am not measuring, but I can see a difference in the way I look and in the way my clothes are fitting, so I know I'm better than I was. ....it's just frustrating to not see any pounds coming off. I have about 70 pounds to lose.
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am led to believe that if you've been doing the same workout for long enough you'll be burning less calories (if you do the same intensity/speed/weight/etc), so if you are eating back your calories burned you're possibly not at as big a deficit as you believe!

*experts correct me if I'm wrong haha
  • lisasmith1965
    lisasmith1965 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I had a personal trainer figure my BMR and look over my food and exercise diary. She suggested I eat more carbs and more protein and less fat. I've lost five pounds! Thanks for all of the suggestions.