Will my skin become like this? How to prevent it?

Options
I am in weight loss process
Age 25
SW: 277lb
CW: 242
Goal Weight: 190

I am afraid because of this
75ofxi8rxsbm.jpg

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Genetics and age will dictate it. You have no control over it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ! Most likely it will. No use stressing over it though. Better to be healthy and in shape with some loose skin than have your skin stretched out by a bunch of fat and be unhealthy couch potato. I have loose skin, after losing 110lbs and getting into good shape its a bit disappointing to not look good at the pool.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Loose skin can be tucked away and hidden by smart choices in fashion - fat cannot. You're getting healthier - and that's just one of the battle scars some people have to contend with.

On the upside, it's quite possible you have the genetic giftings of elastic skin (some people do). So this is not a guaranteed result.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I would suggest slow weight loss if you are concerned about a skin apron. Slow will allow your skin time to change.
    Speaking as a mom of three who has a small apron Losing weight too quickly after #1 left my skin behind. Slower will be worth it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I would suggest slow weight loss if you are concerned about a skin apron. Slow will allow your skin time to change.
    Speaking as a mom of three who has a small apron Losing weight too quickly after #1 left my skin behind. Slower will be worth it.
    Not always though. While slow loss will help the skin to retract, if it's been stretched to a limit well beyond where one looks lean, chances are it's just going to be loose skin regardless of how slow someone takes it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss preventing it is a myth. Skin takes a long time to bounce back, heck I've been this weight for 2 years and I haven't noticed any difference at all. It hangs a bit less because I still have a bit of fat there, but unfortunately, it's not going anywhere. I was overweight/obese pretty much all my life and lost 75 pounds in 1 year.

People mention strength training but it's silly, nobody can build enough muscle to 'fill' all that loose skin... just not happening.

Bottom line though... it still sure beats the hell out of having 70+ extra pounds of fat.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated is probably the only thing you can do. It seems as if genetics play the largest role.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Genetics and age will dictate it. You have no control over it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. There is really not much you can do. Losing slower can help give your skin time to shrink, and once you reach maintenance it can take another 2 years for skin to tighten up as much as it will. Most importantly, some loose skin will not negatively affect your health long term, where extra fat will.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Give time for you skin to adjust. Go see a doctor to find out what your options are. It is healthier to have lose skin than all the extra fat. Hydrate internally and externally.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I quickly went from 235 to 140 when I was 22 years old. I was young and my skin bounced back easily - even after losing almost 100 pounds in under 5 months. I slowly gained some weight back between ages 22 and 39 -- until I eventually got back up to 205 lbs. When I was in my late 30's, I decided I didn't want to be fat and 40. So, in 2011, I lost 55-60 lbs. I took 13 months to lose the weight, so maybe losing slowly helped maintain my skin tightness. I'm 44 now, and my stomach skin looks normal -- nothing like the photo above.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Realistically, if you get loose skin and it bothers you you can shop around for a surgeon to fix this. I have no idea how much that costs. I bet it is better than spending money on doctors for problems that are caused or exacerbated by being over weight.

The one person I know IRL who has had excess skin removed is veeeery happy with her weight loss and appearance. Annoyingly happy. If she weren't so wonderfully nice I would smack her.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, hydrate, use lotion and learn to deal with what loose skin you end up with. It can be hidden and if important enough to you removed. I would rather have loose skin that fat any day.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Not always though. While slow loss will help the skin to retract, if it's been stretched to a limit well beyond where one looks lean, chances are it's just going to be loose skin regardless of how slow someone takes it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ok it's obvious that it's not always. But sometimes...yes. So it's worth a try? I think so.
    Anyway isn't slow weight loss the overall consensus when advising people who ask?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know, unless you're so heavy it's just guaranteed like it is for me. There's nothing I will be able to do to change it, it's just stretched so much it will never bounce back without surgical help.

Im actually starting to look forward to it. I'm imagining ways I could dress to diminish its appearance and ways to feel good about myself until I can afford the surgery. I'm picturing those sexy looking Spanx like body suits that hook to the bra so they don't roll down.

You just try to expect it and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've just decided lose saggy skin is worth losing the excess. The excess skin won't contribute to me having acid reflux, it won't make walking up the stairs difficult, etc. I'd rather be a healthy weight with loose skin.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss is just more likely to prevent fat loss outpacing skin shrinkage as much. It doesn't change the final outcome.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    My stomach looks a little like that after losing over 80 lbs in the past year (maybe less saggy) but I've had 4 babies so I think that played a bigger role. When I lost over 50 lbs in college by stomach looked great! That was before babies and ten years ago though!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I should add that I don't care. I'd rather it look saggy and be healthy than how I was before.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What I'm getting out of all this is "lose slowly, meanwhile save for surgery."
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    What I'm getting out of all this is "lose slowly, meanwhile save for surgery."

LOL. Basically. Rapid weight loss is usually not recommended anyway regardless of one's skin prognosis. And if in the end the skin bothers the person- make an appointment. If they can live with it, tuck it away and celebrate the loss! Skin is easier to hide than fat!