Goal: Lost inches rather than Scale Weight Friends

Options
Hi all .... I'm looking for friends that aren't relying on the scale to measure their weight loss. I get easily discouraged when the scale doesn't show a loss despite my efforts. I stopped weighing myself and am going by the way my clothes fit. If anyone else out there does the same thing, I'd like to be friends. I exercise 6 days a week. Two with a personal trainer and one by myself with weight training and then 3 days doing aerobics. I stick to within my calories and show a loss by inches. I find this more encouraging than the scale. Anybody?

Replies

• Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I still weight myself about every 3 weeks to just keep tabs, but I mainly go by how my clothes fit and how much my love handles shrink. ;) I track, but use TDEE instead of the MFP calculations. I find the scale unpleasant as well.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Add me. I do the same.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Same here! The scale gives me a false perception of myself. The way my clothes fit, measurements and clothes sizes are more real imo. friends please!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Weight is an illusion". I say it way to often. People get hung up on the scale. This life should not be about hitting some number. Being fit should be the real goal.

All that said, the scale is a tool used to help determine your fitness BUT it should not be THE tool. Body measurements + weight can help give you your body fat percentage. Then calculate your BMR. This will give you a good indication of where you are and where you might need to be. Just forget BMI. Take it to the next level and see where you blood pressure is and get your resting heart rate. The get your heart rate and see what changes. Start adding in other indicators: how far you can walk/jog/run/sprint, what weights you can push/pull, etc. Lay those out as a baseline and then seek to improve.

Fitness is not about the scale. Non-Scale Victories (NSVs), therein lies the path to fitness.